PDA

View Full Version : Impeller Change

meg
12-02-2009, 02:48 PM
I have an mcx 350 engine (x30) and was wondering if there are any tricks to get to the impeller to change it. It appears to be right below the exhaust and it looks like a tight fit and was wondering what is the best angle/way to get back there?

Thanks

bcampbe7
12-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I have an mcx 350 engine (x30) and was wondering if there are any tricks to get to the impeller to change it. It appears to be right below the exhaust and it looks like a tight fit and was wondering what is the best angle/way to get back there?

Thanks

They do make impellar pullers. May be a good investment, but I have never used one.
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JAB50070-0040

Try some angled needle nosed plyers or paint can openers.

russlars
12-02-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks

Your main issue may be access to get hold of it. However, you will dramatically simplify the removal process if you spray WD-40 all around inside the impeller housing, tap the engine a couple times to coat the housing well and then just grab the impeller with needle nose pliers and give it a slight pressure in the opposite way the engine turns and it should pull right out. The first time I changed my impeller it took me 1/2 hour working with screwdrivers, paint can openers and pliers to get it out of there and it came out all chewed up. If you use the method I described above you will be amazed at how easy it pulls out.:twocents:

meg
12-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Did you guys lean over the top of the engine or get to it another way?

dpolen
12-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Get an impeller puller, worth every penny. I just jump into one of the rear storage compartments and wiggle my way down to the impeller. Typically done within 5 min.

bigmac
12-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Beware of advice about removing impeller. The techniques for a direct drive may not be applicable to your V-drive.

I don't know about your 2006. On my 2004, an impeller puller won't work because there's not enough clearance between the RW pump and the muffler. I grab the impeller with a pair of needle nose ViseGrips and pull it out by reaching over and behind the muffler from the back. Easiest to approach the RW pump from the right rear storage compartment. I remove the removable panel, and also the rear-most panel, which on my boat is held in with a single screw into the upper support frame.

Jim@BAWS
12-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Beware of advice about removing impeller. The techniques for a direct drive may not be applicable to your V-drive.

I don't know about your 2006. On my 2004, an impeller puller won't work because there's not enough clearance between the RW pump and the muffler. I grab the impeller with a pair of needle nose ViseGrips and pull it out by reaching over and behind the muffler from the back. Easiest to approach the RW pump from the right rear storage compartment. I remove the removable panel, and also the rear-most panel, which on my boat is held in with a single screw into the upper support frame.

We have run into the same thing. Sometimes it is easier to remove the pump itself, the 3 allen head screws then replace the impeller.

Jim@BAWS

MattsCraft
12-03-2009, 10:38 AM
X30 should have more room than my X2 so the puller might work, however totally not needed. As BigMac said, remove the right side, facing the rear of the boat (Port) locker panel and lay across the engine intake, I remove the flame arrester, makes it a tad easier. Spray with WD-40, turn it over a few times without starting. I also tape a mirror in the bilge so I can see what I am looking at. Use a paint can opener and start to pry on one side, then the other and it will work itself right out! Only have one slightly skinned knuckle, but hey, I always have a few battle scars when I work on the car, truck or boat!!!

Jerseydave
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
As said before, soak with WD40, crank engine but try using right-angle needle nose pliers.

Jim@BAWS
12-03-2009, 07:55 PM
As said before, soak with WD40, crank engine but try using right-angle needle nose pliers.

How about a LEFT angle or Metric...will that work?

Jim@BAWS

FlatBoard
12-03-2009, 09:07 PM

I have a 2004 X-30 with the MCX 350 and I just pulled my impellar by using the above method and it did work well.

Prior to using WD-40, the impellar would not budge.

Never tried a puller, but it appears there would be enough room according to the specs on the link provided.

bigmac
12-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a 2004 X-30 with the MCX 350 and I just pulled my impellar by using the above method and it did work well.

Prior to using WD-40, the impellar would not budge.

Never tried a puller, but it appears there would be enough room according to the specs on the link provided.

FYI, here's a picture of the bilge in my 2004 230VRS (same boat as yours). Maybe they put your muffler in a different location. There's no way a puller would work for me.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpclearance.jpg

FlatBoard
12-03-2009, 10:06 PM
FYI, here's a picture of the bilge in my 2004 230VRS (same boat as yours). Maybe they put your muffler in a different location. There's no way a puller would work for me.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpclearance.jpg

Yeah it's pretty tight. Skinned my knuckles a few times. The first time I changed the impellar, I wondered if it would be easier to remove the pump. Muffler is in the same spot as yours, but it appears I have a little more room than shows in your picture.

I use an offset wrench to remove the plate screws, so I think you make a good point about not enough clearance for a puller. Probably would be more of a hassle than its worth.

WD-40 and two paint can openers did the trick for me!!

Thrall
12-04-2009, 10:39 AM
And the X2 has even less clearance. The muffler is centered on the rw pump with about 3/4" clear. I haven't even pulled mine, just took the cover off, will tackle in the spring. What sucks is it would be a real pain to replace on the lake if you had to.
Another thing that makes them easier to pull out is to anti seize the shaft and splines when you put the new one in.

bcampbe7
12-04-2009, 10:45 AM
And the X2 has even less clearance. The muffler is centered on the rw pump with about 3/4" clear. I haven't even pulled mine, just took the cover off, will tackle in the spring. What sucks is it would be a real pain to replace on the lake if you had to.
Another thing that makes them easier to pull out is to anti seize the shaft and splines when you put the new one in.

The old '96 PS190 was a little easier, eh? :D
Lift motor box, remove cover, pull impellar, replace. :)

bigmac
12-04-2009, 12:21 PM

Of course, the downside to that is that it's a direct drive boat.

bcampbe7
12-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Hey now! :(

JMann
12-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I went to the hardware store last week and got two paint can openers for free. I'm going to try the WD-40 and can openers this weekend. If I don't get it out in 5 minutes I'm buying the puller from Skidim.

Jesus_Freak
12-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I went to the hardware store last week and got two paint can openers for free. I'm going to try the WD-40 and can openers this weekend. If I don't get it out in 5 minutes I'm buying the puller from Skidim.

Probably obvious, but just wanted to mention that soap and/or footslick work well also.

tex
12-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Impellers are very overated!

bobx1
12-04-2009, 02:33 PM
This is much better than WD-40. Make sure you get the heat activated stuff and as stated, crank a few times and it works in and out with ease.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=213310&catid=88202&brand=7944&trx=BSMMP-7944&trxp1=HPFP&trxp2=0&trxp3=213310&btrx=BSMMP-7944

Thrall
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah...just a little.:rolleyes:
Who builds inboards for 40 years and 30 years into it says "I think I'll make the lifeblood of the cooling system inaccessible." ?
Isn't that a part in the owners manual that is supposed to be inspected regularly as well?
Not gonna mess with it for next year, but if I keep the boat for a while, it's getting dual shorty mufflers (and stainless tips:D)
I dunno about that. It's a pooch compard to the LT1. Sure do enjoy the extra room though.