PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a front/allwheel drive SUV

floridamastercraft
12-01-2009, 09:10 PM
I need to get a new tow vehicle.

How is towing with a front wheel/ awd suv?

I have a 2007 prostar 197 I tow 5 miles to the lake and about 3 times a year 200 miles one way trips on flat central Florida land I have a full size f150 that needs to be replaced and I don't want another truck plus my hoa now won't let me replace it anyway..

How are the Honda pilot , BMW X3 or X5 , etc... Looking for a mid size suv

I never have been a fan of front wheel drive cars and let alone tow but all these new SUVs are front / awd but after about 25 mph they go to front only. I always had rear wheel drive trucks / SUVs.

Aric'sX15
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
an x5 would do fine, im sure a bunch of people have them, and one is in our near future. if you get the 4.8 V8 you'll be fine. The "X-Drive" (awd) by bmw is good as well.

Panda Cub
12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Look at the difference between the cost of ownership of owning that honda pilot and the BMW X5.

I don't want to throw out too many statistics, but according to a little publication called Chicago Tribune they quoted a BMW X5 with the 6 cyl engine costing 82 cents a mile to drive, versus the Pilot's 38 cents a mile.

Only reason I know this is I am looking to sell my Element and get a Pilot. BMWs are fun to drive, but if you want a reliable vehicle, I would go with the Honda.

Ben
12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I pull my boat (PS205) in / out with a Honda Odyssey without issues, although it is only once a year.. I have used it to run to the shop about a few miles up the road and this year to winter storage - about 15 miles away. I thought it towed very well, although I was being pokey. The 6 cyl was plenty of power (not to win a race, but to get the job done) and I didn't feel like I was getting kicked around much. I know you're not looking for a van, but the FWD and vehicle mass should be simliar to your choices.

AFX-30
12-02-2009, 06:47 AM
My brother tows a stock trailer with his pilot and says it is great. I know over in England and Germany you see people towing with BMW's all the time. I would ask the dealerships if you can do a test drive with the boat attached to check it out.

Thrall
12-02-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a full size f150 that needs to be replaced and I don't want another truck plus my hoa now won't let me replace it anyway..

***?? I thought my HOA was ridiculous! Now they can tell you what brand of vehicle you can buy?
If there was one thing that may make me go postal, it would be hoa's. I have tolerance for alot of things, but not some entity telling me how to live my life! Wish I had enough time/$$ to get into a house with some land around it this last move, but I didn't and bought a home in a covenant subdivision. Makes me wanna punch all my f@ggoty, think they're special, pansy @ss neighbors!
(Now I feel better)

dpolen
12-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I tow with a Lexus GX470...tows my maristar pretty darn good, the V8 runs like a champ. They are redesigning it for 2010, so I'm sure there are deals to be had on remaining 2009's. We have owned ours for 3 years and its been a terrific vehicle for our family. The only thing that sucks about towing with it is the swing open rear door...just have to be careful when opening with the trailer hooked up.

Panda Cub
12-02-2009, 11:46 AM
I tow with a Lexus GX470...tows my maristar pretty darn good, the V8 runs like a champ. They are redesigning it for 2010, so I'm sure there are deals to be had on remaining 2009's. We have owned ours for 3 years and its been a terrific vehicle for our family. The only thing that sucks about towing with it is the swing open rear door...just have to be careful when opening with the trailer hooked up.

GX 470s are sweet. Any toyota full size suv is sweet.

Kevin 89MC
12-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I tow my '89 190 with a Ford Escape V6 AWD (company car), it works OK. First time towing with a f/awd vehicle (got it in the fall), so no long trips yet. I tow about the same as you, I expect I'll be OK with what I have, sounds like you will have something a bit better, so you should be fine, but you probably will notice a difference. I notice a dip in capability (power and braking)over the previous company vehicle, '04 Chev Trailblazer I6. That one was a much better tow vehicle, but the mileage was quite a bit worse (towing or not). I also occasionally tow with the wife's LandCruiser, great tow vehicle, but a bit underpowered (old I6) and horrible mileage. Oh well, it's paid for. I used to tow with an old 2wd 4 cyl pickup, that one really felt it. The smaller/less powerful vehicle you have, the more careful you need to be.
Good luck,
Kevin

Monte
12-02-2009, 07:17 PM
***?? I thought my HOA was ridiculous! Now they can tell you what brand of vehicle you can buy?

I agree:cool: I would keep the truck just to p!ss them off;)

I have no thoughts on either, I like American vehicles, but in saying that, the BMW is assembled about 45 minutes south of me.

Thrall
12-03-2009, 09:58 AM
I agree:cool: I would keep the truck just to p!ss them off;)

I have no thoughts on either, I like American vehicles, but in saying that, the BMW is assembled about 45 minutes south of me.

And put a big lift kit and straight pipe stacks on it too!

X5 is like a 300+hp V8 right? Will tow a boat fine and in style I might add.