PDA

View Full Version : What engines mods to do

hz900
12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
'92 Prostar 205

Over the winter I am going to replace the problematic 4010 carb with the 4160. I don't know what heads are on the boat, but I do know that it has the 285 hp engine. I will also be doing an extensive cleaning because the engine is absolutely filthy. So since I am working on it I ask is there anything I should replace to help the performance of the boat, like intake, roller rockers, different plugs from stock, distributor parts, ect.

I would ask though that if you are going to suggest something, please explain why and what kind of gain I can expect, either hp wise or the feel/pull of the boat at what rpm range. Thanks.

93Prostar190
12-01-2009, 09:18 PM
The 285 Motor on my 93 Prostar had the GT40 heads, and I am pretty sure that is what you have. You probably already have electronic ignition, but if you do not, I would recommend that upgrade for reliability of starts, and performance.

Others in TeamMC have done things with cams, etc ..... they should be showing up soon .... thanks.

east tx skier
12-01-2009, 10:30 PM
If it's 285 hp, it's the 351 HO, which has cast iron GT-40 heads.

Mine had electronic ignition already. I upgraded to the 4160, added an acme #541 and a performer intake and never wanted for more in the power department the rest of the time I owned the boat.

hz900
12-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Mine has electronic ignition already as well. I guess it looks like the manifold will be the only thing to do. I would rather not spend the money on another prop when I have two perfectly good stock ones, I just don't think the gain is worth the money. Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone else?

03 35th Anniversary
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
'92 Prostar 205

Over the winter I am going to replace the problematic 4010 carb with the 4160. I don't know what heads are on the boat, but I do know that it has the 285 hp engine. I will also be doing an extensive cleaning because the engine is absolutely filthy. So since I am working on it I ask is there anything I should replace to help the performance of the boat, like intake, roller rockers, different plugs from stock, distributor parts, ect.

I would ask though that if you are going to suggest something, please explain why and what kind of gain I can expect, either hp wise or the feel/pull of the boat at what rpm range. Thanks.

How Much Money Do You Want To Spend?

etduc
12-02-2009, 11:32 AM
The HO intake is different, from the non HO engine. Works well, in all conditions. New alum. intake won't make a huge difference. On a near stock engine. CHECK you compression, before doing anything.

You're wrong about the #541 Acme or OJ equivelant props. They make a huge difference, on this model. Better hole shot, slightly improved top-end.

Cheers.

Hollywood
12-02-2009, 11:46 AM
You will absolutely love a CNC prop over a cast one. A fully electronic distributor, followed by a camshaft - intake - and then even better flowing heads would be next. Do all 3 of those at once since they all work together. You won't notice much one at a time and you'll waste a ton of time and gaskets.

Your 351 HO Ford is pretty good "as is" IMO.

east tx skier
12-02-2009, 03:12 PM
The HO intake is different, from the non HO engine. Works well, in all conditions. New alum. intake won't make a huge difference. On a near stock engine. CHECK you compression, before doing anything.

You're wrong about the #541 Acme or OJ equivelant props. They make a huge difference, on this model. Better hole shot, slightly improved top-end.

Cheers.

I agree with you on the prop and I'd suggest that over an intake if it were an either/or situation. However, I remember the intake being a great improvement over the stock one on my 93. At the time, I remember thinking it felt like I had two extra props pushing the boat out of the hole. Acceleration felt even and thick all the way up to ski speeds in my case. Again, if I had to chose, I'd upgrade the prop ever time.

When I bought my new boat, I had a CNC prop at the house within 5 days of bringing it home. Speed control arrived a week later.

Your 351 HO Ford is pretty good "as is" IMO.

Very good as is. But when I was in that boat (pun intended), I had good times with the philosophy of "I'd trade it all for a little more." :)