PDA

View Full Version : Shocks/Struts for an 04 Yukon

swatguy
12-01-2009, 06:31 PM
So turning 125k on the Yukon and wondering what you all recommend for replacement parts as I am not really a car/truck guy. starting to get some looseness when hitting the Chicago potholes.

I don't have the autoride/self leveling suspension.

Also any tips on installing them? I did the ones on an older Ford 150 and it was pretty straught forward, but again an older one.

Miss Rita
12-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Any name brand shock will be an improvement over your worn-out OEM units. For example, Monroe recommends Reflex for the front and SensaTrac for the rear.

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/catalog_default.asp

I know that I would be very hard-pressed to tell the difference between high-quality units from Monroe or Gabriel or Edelbrock or Bilstein or....

Once this argument is settled we'll have to start a new one about the best religion.

Jerseydave
12-01-2009, 07:44 PM
So turning 125k on the Yukon and wondering what you all recommend for replacement parts as I am not really a car/truck guy. starting to get some looseness when hitting the Chicago potholes.

I don't have the autoride/self leveling suspension.

Also any tips on installing them? I did the ones on an older Ford 150 and it was pretty straught forward, but again an older one.

I had an '01 Yukon Denali with autoride........it worked great for towing the boat. It will be an expensive add-on for you however. I would suggest either of these 2 options:
1) replace your stock rear shocks with Delco air shocks that you can fill manually. Be sure to replace your front shocks also....delco gas shocks would be a good choice.
2) this is a better solution.....replace your sagging rear coil springs with a set of "MOOG Cargo-coils". Add 4 nice Delco gas shocks all around and you're set! (Bilsteins are good shocks too but ride pretty hard, had them on my 1995 GMC 1/2 ton pickup)

I think option #2 is a great way to go, and probably cheaper than installing autoride. No future problems that way either (no compressor to go bad, no air shocks to leak)

Also, if you get "looseness" over potholes, have your front suspension checked out. You could have bad ball joints or tie rod ends. Some SUV's have a steering damper that could be bad as well (looks like a horizontal shock)

Great truck........keep it for another 125K miles! GM all the way!

nmcjr
12-01-2009, 08:12 PM
I did Bilsteins on my Tahoe, and it was a big improvement. However, there is somewhat of a caveat. From what I can tell the factory springs must have some degree of spring assist to them. I am guessing that this is part of an optional "tow package" because after I changed them it sits lower in the back. Now, this actually looks better when not towing since it is level. However, when towing it definitely squats more in the rear. So, had I known this, I might have tried to look for a replacement that also included the spring assist. Not a huge deal to me because I tow with a Duramax most of the time, but might be a consideration for you.

As for the installation itself, it is pretty easy. just use a floor jack to assist with the compression of the shocks for both removal and installation. Otherwise, its just a couple bolts for each shock and they're out.

uncleboo
12-05-2009, 02:54 AM
Your looseness is wearing front end components caused by potholes. As mentioned above, have the tie rods, centerlink and ball joints inspected for wear. You can check this yourself--if the ball joints have grease coming out of them or are damaged, then they need to be replaced. Your tie rod ends could also be bent (if they look curved or have a bend in them, then they are bad). Potholes are bad for vehicles. Your shocks should be replaced if they are bottoming out over bumps.

TEAL98
12-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I've got to replace mine on my 02 Yukon but it's got the autoride suspension and they aren't cheap. Was gunna do 'em this weekend but the damn snow is killin me. "You might see accumulation around 1" but no more"... lol, yeeeeaaaahhh mid-afternoon I saw over 2"s on top of the camaro and it didn't stop till 7:mad: Guess I'll have to buckle down, suck it up, and do them tomorrow. Not lookin' forward to the trip to autozone either. Dealer told me over $900 for both, so I know it's gunna be atleast a couple hundred. But it's been a good truck, can't complain