PDA

View Full Version : Injuries due to a water sport!

MC2000190
11-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Lets see those injuries, here is my broken left ankle

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=151&pictureid=836

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=151&pictureid=838

Skipper
12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Not sure what's scarier, the cast or the Crocs! JK

Last year I separated my clavicle from my sternum. No pics.

flipper
12-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Ric will like the toes

Thrall
12-01-2009, 08:53 AM
You lose a toe too?

Thrall
12-01-2009, 08:57 AM
D@mn near ripped my arm off once. Took a big wakeboard jump behind an I/O, low tow point. All he!! broke loose in mid air, knew a face plant was coming. Tossed the rope. Landed face plant style, board perpendicular to the boat. My arm went back thru the handle. I stopped, boat didn't.
Ended up with a bruise, entire hand/arm swollen, purple from neck to finger tips, torn bicep, tendon damage in my forearm. No pics.

sizzler
12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Lets see those injuries, here is my broken left ankle

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=151&pictureid=836

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=151&pictureid=838

i feel for you.....fancy having to wear a croc......oh the shame.....

j/k

hope it gets better soon...

MC2000190
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
No I have all 10 toes, the little one is just hiding in the cast!

MC2000190
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Whats the beef with crocs? Seems like no one likes them?

tex
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8876&highlight=jumping+yesterday

tex
12-01-2009, 12:31 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9265&highlight=femur&page=22

corey
12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
No pics but I've busted my chin open 3 times when I cased the wake. Basically my body would compress and I hit my knee on my chin busting it open (you would think I would learn after the first time). Nothing a little glue and stiches couldnt fix but did take me off of the water while it healed.

Hollywood
12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
I'd take the cast over the Crocs!

MC2000190
12-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Ill wear crocs any day over a cast!

MC2000190
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Thats it? no more injuries???

ski_king
12-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I herniated 2 disks in my neck from an unexpected barefoot faceplant.

mig
12-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Thats it? no more injuries???

Maybe we only want to remember the in-between injury times:) Those little red balls can be hazardous; ribs twice, collar bone, hernia repair, two ankle repairs, three knee repairs. But they have been worth it (I think).

AussieMC
12-03-2009, 02:41 AM
I've just arrived home from visiting an orthopedic surgeon. I have a mid foot injury (sprain Ruptured ligaments and misaglinement) and I require surgery next thursday, then in a cast for 6 weeks. How much fun over christmas and our summer.:(

MC2000190
12-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear that! Heal well!

kjohnson
12-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Broke a rib once, then broke another one on another run, deep chest contusion on another run, ac tear on another run, slipped a disk in my spinal column after a bad faceplant. That's all I can remember right now.

skeeler
12-04-2009, 03:27 PM
A few concussions for me.

tex
12-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Broke a rib once, then broke another one on another run, deep chest contusion on another run, ac tear on another run, slipped a disk in my spinal column after a bad faceplant. That's all I can remember right now.

I got a ton other than the previously mentioned 2...Too many headers!

beef
12-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Let's see...

Back in my wakeboarding days I broke my nose (compound fracture) with my knee trying to land a back roll.

Slalom:
Torn rotator cuff blowing out the tail in a turn.
Hit in the eye with the ski tip = bunch of stitches above the eye and dermabond on the lower lid.
Partially separated patella tendon getting karate chopped below the knee by the ski.
Ribs going otf into the wake.
I'm just finishing up a round of steroids for some lower back issues (L5-S1 don't look too pretty)

Can't think of anything else right now, but I'm sure there's a couple more. Good thing we love this stuff!

ahhudgins
12-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Besides the usual cuts, bruises, few stitches and black eyes, I took an elbow in my side during a barefoot fall....tore the cartilage between two ribs. Was attempting my first invert on a wakeboard (front flip) at the age of 42 and came up short. Tore the cartilage in my knee and I've had problems with it ever since. Feels fine when I ski, wakeboard and barefoot, it just hurts like crap when I have to stand on concrete all day on my job. I just try to take it easy at work now.:D
I'm still looking for the pics they took during surgery...was 5 years ago.

Jorski
12-05-2009, 03:20 PM
One time when I was skiing the summer after a winter shoulder injury and surgical repair, I broke the screw in half that they had put in to help with previous injury.

It popped like a guitar string...back into surgery to have it removed.

medicmoose
12-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Torn tendons in my arm when I took a header and (wouldn't you know it) my arm went through the center of the handle. I came to a quick stop but with the boat still underway, the handle yanked from my armpit to my wrist....with the immediate swelling I thought for sure it was all busted up.

TX.X-30 fan
12-05-2009, 06:24 PM
I stubbed my toe on the pylon once............. dam that stings.

cbryan70
12-05-2009, 07:39 PM
do hang overs count?

jdl xstar
12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Torn right knee ACL Sept 2008 (pictured). Torn left knee ACL May 1996. Both from wakeboarding behind a MC.

Double D
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Broken Right Ankle. September 2007. Wakeboarding

beef
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Your right ankle looks like it has something wrong with it, too. ;)

funk
12-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Didn't know exactly where to post this but the "eddie" started today, many of these guys are risking it all!!

http://live.quiksilver.com/2009/bigwave/live.php?btn_live=_over

Double D
12-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Your right ankle looks like it has something wrong with it, too. ;)

Duh! Thanks!:rolleyes:

2RLAKE
12-08-2009, 06:09 PM
so there i was doing a flying barefoot start off my neighbor's 2nd floor ... everything was fine except my left big toe felt funny as i was footing away. I one footed to look at it .. hmm where is all that blood coming from? Long story short, when i jumped off their dock, my toe caught the sheet metal edge of their gutter ... cut just like a razor blade. 8 stitches later it's still on but dont have much feeling in it anymore

then there was my wife in 1998. three months after she had given birth to our first she's back into skiing. She's tired but her idiot husband makes her do one more free skiing shortline (38 off) run . She somehow burries her ski tip into the wake and cartwheels a few times. As we pick her up, her left knee is on her righ shoulder .. badly dislocated hip. Now the fun begins

We finally get her to a local hospital in LaFollette TN as she is going into shock. 45 minutes later the resident dr comes out with the x-ray and doesn't know what's wrong. I read the x-ray (engineers can do anything) and show him the dislocation and how the ball of the femor is cutting off the femoral artery ... explains her blue leg. We finally get an ambulence to UT hospital, have to drop off a little old lady at the nursing home for her lunch (swear I am not making that up) and 2:45 hours later they get her leg back into the hip ... Doctor said she had about 30 more minutes before she lost her leg. Then there was the resulting blood clot!

h2oskifreak
12-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Broken Rt. Ankle 2007, Bad sprained Lft. Ankle 2008, Broken ribs 2003 (plenty of other rib impacts), 22 stitches in the head late 80's & plenty of other things over the years but I keep coming back for more. All from slalom.

Love the stubbed toe on the pylon comment, we've all been there and who hasn't got the family jewells on it a time or two?

tex
12-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Showing our matching scars in Germany 1993-Mine was 8 stitches from going tips in on a gainer...don't remember what his was from...I think a beer stein!

chico
12-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Tore my meniscus labour day,had my surgery on yesterday,hope it turns out.

Jerseydave
12-12-2009, 09:51 AM
All I have to say about this thread is WOW! I'm glad I can't contribute much, just some stitches above the eye thanks to my knee smacking it after a failed attempt at a barefoot tumbleturn.
I think I'll be doing alot more boat driving in 2010!

Barefoot57
12-12-2009, 01:21 PM
last day of my freshman year of college. Dorm is packed up and I am on my way out of town for the 4 hour car ride home. A ski-team friend calls and says that they are going to make a few quick runs....sounds fun, so I am in.

I am doing a front toe hold short-line on the boom when a weekend wally cut directly in front of us. I had zero time to react and couldn't come out of the toe hold quick enough. I hit the wakes with my foot still in. The result was me breaking my nose over my knee. Not only was it broken, but somehow, I managed to put two puncture holes in both nasal passages. Blood EVERYWHERE! I didn't know what to do because there was no way I was going to let them get me in my friends MC bleeding like I was. So, I convinced him to let me ride on the platform while we sped back to shore. BTW, we all heard the people in Mr. Bayliner's boat yell "Oh No", but they just kept on going and didn't even stop to offer an apology.

3 hours at the ER, 5 stitches on my nose, 5 stitches in my knee, a totally mangled black and blue face, some happy pills, and I was back on the road. Not sure how I made it home that day, but I remember it being a rather fun drive given the vicodin!

Plymouth Family Guy
12-13-2009, 09:58 PM
At the ripe old age of eight, I broke my right leg below the knee damaging the growth area. I was riding my awesome 63 inch Maherajah and cutting hard on my strong side when I crashed. It appears that my back foot came out of the rear toe plate and my front foot stayed in. I was laid out pretty good and must have spun in the water with the knee being the final pivot point causing the break. If I was fully grown at the time of this wipeout, no further action would probably have been required. Since I was 8 and damaged the growth plate on my right leg, the fun was just beginning.

The damage caused my right leg to only grow in the back of this area and not the front. Besides not growing up and down causing my legs to become different lengths, my right leg started to bow due to the growth in the front and not the back. At this point, my legs were different lengths from the knee to the ankle and my right leg had become bowed out. I had surgery at age 11 on the right leg to start the growth in this area. At age 12, they performed surgery on the left leg (the good leg) to stop the growth in the same area that had stopped growing in the right leg. At age 14 another operation on the right leg to straighten the leg. The most intense operation came at age 18 when they shortened my left femur nearly three inches so that my legs would be the same length. The femur was shortened because it is easier to shorten one bone, rather than two, the tibia and fibia, that were shorter in my right leg than left leg. They inserted a steel rod during this operation to support the femur and surgically removed it one year later.

Over 20 years after all of these operations, I still ski and barefoot as much as possible. The total length of the scars from all of these operations is almost five feet. Other than the scars on my legs and the fact that my knees don't line up next to each other (which makes kneeling at Catholic church difficult), I have no problems. I continued to water ski and play many other sports growing up. In fact, I scheduled all of the above operations for the month of August so I could enjoy most of the summer but still be healed enough for school and be off crutches before the snow fell. I now ski with double Animal bindings. I believe in the both feet in or both feet out approach to crashes.

I have had numerous other injuries from watersports such as bumps and bruises and a severly pulled hamstring in 2002, but nothing compares to that little wipe out when I was 8.

Double D
12-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Sounds like a tuff time. So how tall are you and how tall would you have been? Does losing that height bother you at all? Just wondering.....:rolleyes:

At the ripe old age of eight, I broke my right leg below the knee damaging the growth area. I was riding my awesome 63 inch Maherajah and cutting hard on my strong side when I crashed. It appears that my back foot came out of the rear toe plate and my front foot stayed in. I was laid out pretty good and must have spun in the water with the knee being the final pivot point causing the break. If I was fully grown at the time of this wipeout, no further action would probably have been required. Since I was 8 and damaged the growth plate on my right leg, the fun was just beginning.

The damage caused my right leg to only grow in the back of this area and not the front. Besides not growing up and down causing my legs to become different lengths, my right leg started to bow due to the growth in the front and not the back. At this point, my legs were different lengths from the knee to the ankle and my right leg had become bowed out. I had surgery at age 11 on the right leg to start the growth in this area. At age 12, they performed surgery on the left leg (the good leg) to stop the growth in the same area that had stopped growing in the right leg. At age 14 another operation on the right leg to straighten the leg. The most intense operation came at age 18 when they shortened my left femur nearly three inches so that my legs would be the same length. The femur was shortened because it is easier to shorten one bone, rather than two, the tibia and fibia, that were shorter in my right leg than left leg. They inserted a steel rod during this operation to support the femur and surgically removed it one year later.

Over 20 years after all of these operations, I still ski and barefoot as much as possible. The total length of the scars from all of these operations is almost five feet. Other than the scars on my legs and the fact that my knees don't line up next to each other (which makes kneeling at Catholic church difficult), I have no problems. I continued to water ski and play many other sports growing up. In fact, I scheduled all of the above operations for the month of August so I could enjoy most of the summer but still be healed enough for school and be off crutches before the snow fell. I now ski with double Animal bindings. I believe in the both feet in or both feet out approach to crashes.

I have had numerous other injuries from watersports such as bumps and bruises and a severly pulled hamstring in 2002, but nothing compares to that little wipe out when I was 8.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-14-2009, 01:47 AM
I have survived all the usual pulls and strains without ever damaging anything seriously. Took a few shots in the swimsuit area trying to ride the canoe paddle (never did master that one). Most memorable was getting too cocky on the shoe skis and getting a whopper of a concussion from the face plant. I did break a couple ribs in the early days trying to foot off a disc behind the 75hp ob. My son wants me to start wakeboarding this year. I should be able to do some damage with that.

Plymouth Family Guy
12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Sounds like a tuff time. So how tall are you and how tall would you have been? Does losing that height bother you at all? Just wondering.....:rolleyes:

I am currently just over six feet tall. In high school, when standing on my left leg, I was a shade under 6'3". As my doctors said, it's a good thing you weren't 5'2" to start. Honestly, losing the height hasn't been a big problem. Being laid up while recuperating from all of these operations was more of a pain due to the inactivity.

shepherd
12-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I stubbed my toe on the pylon once............. dam that stings.

You too? I feel your pain... 8p

I got stung by some sea nettles once. Burned for hours. :mad:
If I find a pic of the blister I got on my pinkie, I'll post it.

Covi
12-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I've dropped the NON-hydraulic assist engine cover on my toes. Lost the big toe nail and turned the two toes next to them black for months.

AussieMC
12-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Sitting at home with leg in a cast, (bored) thought I would update my injury.
Had surgery 10 Dec and picked up this X-Ray from the surgeon yesterday. All this from dislocating my foot.
Can't put any weight on my foot until I get the cast off, on the 20th Jan, and then in a walking boot for another 4 weeks until I have surgery to remove screws at about the 12 week mark. There goes my summer of water sports.:mad:

cbryan70
12-24-2009, 12:30 AM
a foot dislocation is interesting, remind me not to show my GF this thread. Amazing I havnt been hurt yet in the conditions ive skied in. I have gotten ALOT smarted in the past 3 years (only been skiing hard for 4) learned to let go of the rope when i think its not going to go well. first year.....no idea how i didnt kill myself, I would try to rip myself out of just about anything