PDA

View Full Version : New Ignition Coil

PeteS
06-10-2005, 05:13 PM
After installing the Prestolite electronic ignition kit, I'm thinking of upgrading my ignition coil as well.

I've heard of some people going with the Accel Super Coil, and that sounds good, but then I found this coil on on DIM's site:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R117004

I'm curious as to which on would perform best with my current setup. It's a stock distibutor, new 8mm silicone wires, and like I said before the Prestolite ignition kit. The coil above states that it is designed specifically for electonic ignitions. Thoughts?

BrianM
06-10-2005, 05:34 PM
When I did the upgrade SkiDIM told me that I did not have to change out the coil. They also told me (or maybe it was in the directions for the conversion kit) specificly not to use a high output coil like one of those Flame throwers or whatever they are called. In fact when we were trouble shooting a problem Vince said that one of the possibilities was a week coil. Told me just to go down to the local autoparts store and pick up a basic coil for a Ford 351w and not any kind of fancy coil. It turned out that the coil wasn't the problem but I left the new one on anyway. I think it cost me about $20 at Napa. Runs like a top. So if the boat is running good I wouldn't bother to upgrade the coil as there is no need. Save the money and buy more gas.:twocents:

AR Footer
06-10-2005, 05:50 PM
After installing the Prestolite electronic ignition kit, I'm thinking of upgrading my ignition coil as well.

I've heard of some people going with the Accel Super Coil, and that sounds good, but then I found this coil on on DIM's site:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R117004

I'm curious as to which on would perform best with my current setup. It's a stock distibutor, new 8mm silicone wires, and like I said before the Prestolite ignition kit. The coil above states that it is designed specifically for electonic ignitions. Thoughts?

I just upgraded over the winter to an electronic ignition. My coil was really old so I changed it at the same time. The clip inside the coil that holds the coil wire had come come loose and it was hard to keep it tight. The coil that you have the link to is the one that skidim recommended for my setup and I have the Prestolite ignition kit.

My boat runs like a top since the upgrade. :steering:

Brn85ss
06-10-2005, 11:46 PM
I also upgraded my ign. last winter to the electronic,and bought the Ski dim coil at the same time.Runs much better.My wot rpm's went up from 4400 to 4600.Has anyone else noticed a change in their wot with the change.