PDA

View Full Version : need to winterize my maristar 210

stanb_dallas
11-30-2009, 04:13 PM
I dont have the owner's manual cause I left it at the lake. I know it's a maristar 210 and i think it's a 1999 and also think it's a 5.7 liter engine (is that the Indomar engine?). Note - Vdrive

I've read the online owner's manual and the posts here and I forsee 2 steps: (I live in TX so dont want to do the antifreeze thing).
1) drain the manifold
2) drain the block

My questions:
a) where do i find the two 'drain(s)' for the manifold? (are they plastic, socket type, etc?)
b) where do i find the two 'drain(s)' for the block? is there a petlock that i have to remove first, etc).

Is that all?

thanks in advance for the help.

Thrall
11-30-2009, 07:11 PM
There's 2 drains for the block, bottom center, jsut above the oil pan. One or both will have a sensor screwed in them. uncscrew the sensor(s) or petcock.
Exhaust manifolds have a plug on the rear of them, 1/2" ratchet drive, unscrew them.
Also, pull apart any hoses around the water pumps that may hold water. Remove the raw water intake line from the trans cooler as well and drain the trans cooler. It will hold a littel water as well. Remove the impeller (on the front of the crankshaft, 4 screws). If the boat has a heater, remove the 2 heater hoses and blow out the heater. I always dump some antifreeze in the heater line(s), as not all the water gets out. If you ahve a shower, disconenct those hoses too and drain.

stanb_dallas
11-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Can you give me a bit more insight. I want to be sure I understand as much as possible before starting the task. In particular, you said '......will have a sensor screwed in them. uncscrew the sensor(s) or petcock'.

what kind of sensor, what do i look for and what kind of tools will i need? i know a petcock is a small valve but are there any special tasks to remove them safely? etc.

thanks a bunch!

Jerseydave
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Can you give me a bit more insight. I want to be sure I understand as much as possible before starting the task. In particular, you said '......will have a sensor screwed in them. uncscrew the sensor(s) or petcock'.

what kind of sensor, what do i look for and what kind of tools will i need? i know a petcock is a small valve but are there any special tasks to remove them safely? etc.

thanks a bunch!

Some engines have a knock sensor threaded into the block where a block drain would normally be. (on my x-star it's on the passenger side of boat) Carefully remove the wire to the sensor by squeezing the plastic elec connection, then remove the sensor with a socket (7/8" I think) Remove the block drain on the other side of block. If water does not come out on it's own, you may have to use a coat hanger or thin screwdriver to remove any dirt/sediment/debris that could be clogging the drain hole.
Drain manifolds and everything else as mentioned above.

You other choice would be to purchase 5 gals of non-toxic anti-freeze. Remove the large hose from bottom of hull, insert it into a 5 gal bucket of water and run engine up to 160 degrees (making sure to keep bucket full of water at all times). Once you have reach temp, turn off engine, fill bucket with just anti-freeze and restart engine until all 5 gals goes through the engine. Shut it off and you're done, your engine is now full of antifreeze. Remove spark plugs, spray fogging oil into all 8 cylinders, replace plugs and crank engine over WITHOUT letting it start (pull kill switch cord)
That's the easier way to winterize, and you'll have rust protection too.

meg
12-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Isn't it easier just to run about 4 gallons of RV fluid through the engine?

russlars
12-01-2009, 05:59 PM
If your "99 has the LTR engine it probably has a rubber hose that connects the two exhaust manifolds. This hose has a simple twist connector in the center that you can unscrew by hand and it will drain both of your manifolds. It is really easy! Also, if you have a hot water shower you may have a red hose coming out of your port side engine block drain. Make sure that you disconnect this when you drain your block and blow the water out of your shower lines also. Hope that helps:)

stanb_dallas
12-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I completed the winterization yesterday. The info given here really helped to give me an idea on what to expect and look for. Now that I've done it, i can do it again in 15 mins including cleanup.

For any of you thinking on doing it yourself....it was real easy (I'm confident I did it right). Points to note:
1) there was a plastic thumb screw at the bottom/back of each of the two manifolds, real easy to use my hand to unscrew. The position of the drain made sense with gravity pushing water to the lowest point. Note that I have a Vdrive so back is closest to the transom/back of boat.
2) regarding block: there was a metal valve (think they refer to it as a petcock valve) on the driver's side and a sensor plug on the passinger side. Carefully removed the electrical connector by pushing fingers together and then a 7/8 inch wrench to actually remove the plug.
3) opened the impeller to drain any water, 4 screws is all that took.
4) The hardest task was removing the fire walls of the padding/cover at the back of the boat surrounding the engine. Once that is removed with common logic, all 'parts' are easily accessible.

Thanks for the help.

KHall
12-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I would remove the whole petcock assembly, to get the most water out. Not just open the valve.