PDA

View Full Version : gouge in gel coat

shamco
11-28-2009, 06:53 PM
About mid season I noticed this gouge just in front of the trailer bunk. I later found out that the front bolt in this bunk had come loose and caught the boat - ouch. After this happened, we had the boat in the water for one week solid and it didn't appear to be taking on any water or swelling in this area. Is this something that should be fixed? What are the options short of taking it to a fiberglass shop? it appears to be only thru the gel coat and not thru any of the fiberglass.

cbryan70
11-28-2009, 08:01 PM
You could use marine tex and sand it back down...wont match.

ProStar200
11-29-2009, 11:17 AM
I would take into the shop and get an estimate. If it is not that bad, hopefully it won't be to expensive. I would get it taken care of though myself. Good luck.

bturner2
11-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Since this is on the bottom I'd just fix it myself if I were you. You can order the gel coat from Spectrum Color (http://www.spectrumcolor.com/default.asp) that will be a perfect match for your hull.

There are a ton of posts on this site that detail the repair process. Basically you'll want to "V" out the gouge and clean up the area real well. You'll then lay in the gel coat to fill in the gouge and block sand it until flush with the rest of the hull. You'll then use a series of finer grit sand papers to polish out the repair finishing with rubbing/polishing compounds. There is a lot of work to making the repair look right but it isn't hard to do. Just time consuming.

Skipper
11-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Grind. Repair with epoxy resin. Scuff and fair. Apply new gelcote. You'll need to suspend the boat and remove the trailer bunk to get to the damaged area.

TX.X-30 fan
11-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Grind. Repair with epoxy resin. Scuff and fair. Apply new gelcote. You'll need to suspend the boat and remove the trailer bunk to get to the damaged area.

This sounds like the ticket.................. :D You can get the color from here:

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/