PDA

View Full Version : Tower mounted sub?

RMUDBUGS
11-26-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm looking for a tower mounted 8" sub in a black can. Anyone know of one and where I could buy it and how much?

Thanks
Ronnie

Big Dogg
11-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Wetsounds MB-8, its more a mids speaker but from my understanding it adds more bass to your current tower speaker setup. It does come in a black "can".

medicmoose
11-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Here's what you need.

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/PRO80MC.html

RMUDBUGS
11-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks

Anyone else have any ideas. I am looking for something a bit cheaper (around 300). I don't really need a pair but just one. Could I put brakets on a bass tube or buy an empty can and install a marine sub in it?

I'm using the sub to replace a light bar that was mounted in the center of the tower. I have a 2000 PS 205 with an after market tower.

EarmarkMarine
11-28-2009, 03:17 PM
RMUDBUGS,

Since a tower speaker is elevated well above any reinforcing planes (boat sole and coaming, water level, etc.) and since bass is omnidirectional, particular as the frequency lowers, low frequency energy immediately dissipates in an open field environment and won't project for any distance. Also, for a sub to go really low, the sub has got to be large with a very large enclosure or it can be small but at a tremndous cost in efficiency. In any case its going to be terribly expensive and/or impractical for a tower application. Actually, it would be easier and cheaper to get an in-boat sub to project bass over distance, which is no bargain either.

So, I would realistically set my sights on midbass. The WetSounds MB-8 does this job as well as anything.

I like the Bazooka bass tubes in certain situations but they're very dependent on the surrounding surfaces and cabin effect for loading and won't give you much low bass output or power handling on a tower.

However, the ported 8-inch tower tubbies are tuned very high in the realm of midbass and generate a pronounced midbass peak thereby providing a perception of bass. Not every driver is going to work in that specific pod. And, they would need a protective highpass crossover. Otherwise, they'll unload in the worst way below the tuned bandwidth.

How about saving up for a single WetSounds Pro485 and calling it a day?

David
Earmark Marine

RMUDBUGS
11-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the input. I allready have a sub under the observer seat so I think I will replace the light bar with another Boss 6 X 9. I allready have 2 of them and they sound good and are cheap. Thanks again.