PDA

View Full Version : Removing Moisture for Winter Storage

jipster43
11-25-2009, 12:10 AM
My boat got wet while it sat at the marina waiting for me to pick it up. And then, of course, it was covered and trailered to Bozeman during which time it saw snow and rain. When I got it home I took a shop-vac to it and got quite a bit of water out of it but it was by no means dry. Is there something I can throw in my boat to suck up the moisture? Is there anything wrong with using a desiccant? And where would I find something like that?

Thanks in advance!

JP :)

fentong
11-25-2009, 12:17 AM
The guy at West Marine told me to use kitty litter. Ever since then I've been putting three plastic basins filled with a couple of inched of KL in the boat when I store it over the winter. It seems to work great. BTW you can buy the desicant at West Marine.

HMF007
11-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Go get yourself a dehumidifier. I leave one in my boat whenever I'm not using it. It circulates warms air and prevents mildew.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/245832/377%20710/0/dehumidifier/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=dehumidifier&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=dehumidifier&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=12&classNum=380

CruisinGA
11-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Go get yourself a dehumidifier. I leave one in my boat whenever I'm not using it. It circulates warms air and prevents mildew.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/245832/377%20710/0/dehumidifier/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=dehumidifier&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=dehumidifier&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=12&classNum=380

Is that really a dehumidifier or a fan with a small warming element?

I think I need something, cause over the summer it seemed like we were always putting the cover on the boat with it wet having just come in from the last "shred sesh" of the weekend.:D

HMF007
11-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Is that really a dehumidifier or a fan with a small warming element?

I think I need something, cause over the summer it seemed like we were always putting the cover on the boat with it wet having just come in from the last "shred sesh" of the weekend.:D

All I can say is it works.

vandit0022
11-25-2009, 02:49 AM
I just bought one of those, it's just a fan with warming element but I think it'll work well. I also use the DRY Z AIR pods, 4 for my boat, change em every month. I store my boat outside but under a giant car port basically in the winter, put the dry z air things in and the drier, seems to be just fine, and I'm in Seattle, lots of humidity.

bigmac
11-25-2009, 08:18 AM
I leave one of those fan/dryers running in my boat all winter while it's stored with its cockpit cover and in cold storage. Works fine. I doubt there's any need for dessicant in that circumstance, but if I were worried about it, I'd lay a second dryer in there. It's not really about getting the inside hot enough evaporate the water - that will happen naturally - it's about keeping the cockpit above the dew point so the water vapor in the rest of the boat doesn't condense on the surfaces and allow mold.

92 190 PS
11-25-2009, 08:46 AM
I use damp rid and it works awesome. Pick it up at the local Home Depot.

http://www.damprid.com/

Thrall
11-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Maybe I missed something, can't get it in a garage anywhere?
Why not just open everything up, put a fan in it and let it dry out.
Even outside, prop up the seat and engine box, throw a little fan and or heater under the cover. It'll be dry in a couple days tops.

flipper
11-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a friend the uses a "Golden rod". He claims it works great. I have one in my gun safe.

jipster43
11-25-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm storing it in a 40' double door storage unit that doesn't have any power, so I can't do the dehumdifier trick. Growing up we always had the marina store our boat, but that's not really an option here in Bozeman and to be honest, I'm not exactly certain what precautions I need to take. I don't want to pull the cover off in the spring and find a horticultural experiment taking over.

Bozeman has had snow on the ground for nearly two months now and will continue to have snow on the ground into April. In the meantime we'll see the temperature hover around 10 degrees. Sometimes dipping well below zero. But it's very dry here. Right now the boat has its travel cover on and neither the seat nor the engine compartment are propped open. I'm guessing that should be done. Should I leave the cover on it?

Thanks for all the information! I appreciate how basic this must seem to most of you.

cbryan70
11-25-2009, 08:22 PM
if you cant get it dry go buy a back of charcol and throw it in a bucket or two, throw that in the boat and cover it.

CruisinGA
11-25-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure what you are worried about in Bozeman, it's too dry there for a whore to sweat in church.

peason
11-26-2009, 02:13 PM
buy your self a 25 lb. bag of calcium chloride - used for icemelt. Put it in old socks or take a plastic ice cream pail - fill it up with the CACL2 and poke holes in the lid. Place the socks or multiple ice cream pails around the boat - prop open all storage. The CACL2 will attract and hold the moisture. If you look at any of the boat shops - this is what they sell for moisture control. Make sure you buy the 96-97% calcium chloride pellets - peladow or similar - you don't want to buy a blended ice melt product.

jipster43
11-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks Peason! I picked up some Damp Rid yesterday, so I'll swing by the storage unit on the way to Thanksgiving dinner.

Thanks again for all the help y'all! I'm pretty confident I'm not missing any steps now.