PDA

View Full Version : weighting a 200VRS 1996

Smoothie
11-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Trying to help a buddy out and myself. He is trying to weight his boat for the best wake he can get. Anyone out there wakeboarding behind this boat? It is a V Drive how should we weight this thing???

jason@wakemakers.com
11-23-2009, 06:08 PM
That generation boat is actually one of my favorites from Mastercraft, it's got a great hull design that responds really well to weight, and the wake stays clean, even at slower speeds with a lot of additional ballast.

How you should weight it will depend on what your expectations are, but the general rule of thumb of a 40% front/60% rear weight distribution, with even side-to-side weight placement holds true.

Do you and your buddy plan on surfing at all, or are you only interested in setting the boat up for riding?

Let me know and I can recommend some specific products that would work well.

Smoothie
11-23-2009, 06:10 PM
No we are just setting it up for wakeboarding. My 205v Xstar we load up the front more but from the sounds of it this boat is the opposite. Whats a good wakeboard set up for this boat?

dgaugler
11-25-2009, 03:55 AM
I got the same boat. Throws the best surf wake of any boat I've been on. We just put a couple people up front, 400lb sack in the locker on surf side and your off. For wakeboarding loading up both ballasts is a little too much for us especially if we have more than just a couple people in the boat.

ahhudgins
11-29-2009, 11:16 AM
That's really odd. I have a 95 200VRS and I can have 5 people in the boat and a 440lb sac in the floor and I still can't get as much curl as my old 87 PS190. I installed a tower on my PS190 so we could ski and still use the back seat, then I traded it for the VRS for the extra room. I love the room in my VRS, it has a great wake for slalom and barefoot (when it's not porpoising) but my old Prostar had a bigger curl and a higher peak at wakeboard speeds.

dgaugler
11-29-2009, 11:25 PM
That's really odd. I have a 95 200VRS and I can have 5 people in the boat and a 440lb sac in the floor and I still can't get as much curl as my old 87 PS190. I installed a tower on my PS190 so we could ski and still use the back seat, then I traded it for the VRS for the extra room. I love the room in my VRS, it has a great wake for slalom and barefoot (when it's not porpoising) but my old Prostar had a bigger curl and a higher peak at wakeboard speeds.

I've never surfed behind a PS190. When surfing, try putting your sack in the locker on the surf side and/or have everyone sit on the surf side.

bturner2
11-30-2009, 09:39 AM
My 95 200 VRS was a surfing machine. One 400 lb sac in the rear locker and everyone in the boat on the same side as the sac. Make sure you're in at least 10' of water to get the best wake. Anything less and the wake falls apart quickly.

ahhudgins
11-30-2009, 10:43 PM
We only ski and wakeboard, never had any interest in surfing. With a lot of weight in the boat, I have a monster wake at 15 mph but it flattens out over 20 mph. Everyone I board with goes over 22 mph. I had to glue a little wedge to my transom in order to stop the boat from porpoising over 30 mph and it also makes the boat plan a lot faster. I think I'll take the wedge off and install a trim tab next spring so I can adjust the wake.