PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Maristar 225 vrs looking at purchasing

jomiddour
11-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Looking at upgrading to a 94' 225 vrs Maristar. Does this boat have a removeable center pylon or do you have to tow from the stern? Also, any opinions on the wake characteristics or things to beware of on this model? I've never used an integrated platform; does this hinder useability? Thanks for the help!

ahhudgins
11-25-2009, 02:04 AM
I have a 95 Maristar 200VRS that I bought used and it had no center pylon. The dealer actually told me that you couldn't put a plyon in the boat until I removed the small panel in the floor and showed him the pylon mount. I copied the design from other V drives and had a machine shop fabricate a pylon mount that I installed behind the back seat under the sun deck. I also had to have my sun deck modified but it was well worth all of the work to free up the middle of the boat.

I've owned a 79 S&S and an 87 Prostar, and I hate the platform on my VRS. I don't know if the 225 has a wider platform, but mine is hard to get onto from the water even with the grab handle. I miss my teak.

ahhudgins
11-25-2009, 02:12 AM
One more thing. I (and several other Maristar owners) have a porpoising problem with our boats. I've seen other posters who have the 200VRS and they have the same issue. I've also seen people who are pleased with their VRS. My boat does fine until I have at least 4 or 5 people in the boat and then it will start to porpoise over 32 miles an hour. Some people have added trim tabs to their boat, others have added extra fiberglass to the bottom of the stern "a hook". I have a small nylon strip glued to mine for now. I don't know if the 225s have the same problem, but you may want to check it out with a few friends in the boat and take it up to slalom and barefoot speeds. Good luck.

dgaugler
11-25-2009, 03:42 AM
Hey ahhudgins, Can you post some pictures of your setup I've thought often about moving that pylon. It always seems to get you when your not looking.

I have a '96 200VRS and love it. The swim platform is a little small and I would prefer a teak one but once I got use to it I have no real complaints.

ahhudgins
11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
I'll get some pictures this weekend and post them. I'll warn you now, it took a lot of work but it didn't cost me as much because I do repair work for machine shops and I traded some of my time for their aluminum welding services. I built the whole set up with wood first to make sure I got it exactly right, then I had the aluminum cut and welded to my specs. My uphostery guy didn't want to touch the aluminum sun deck, so I had to peel pack the material and cut the hole in the deck myself, then he fixed the uphostery.

It may be a lot more work than you would like to attempt. I mounted brackets to the front motor mounts with longer screws, and I also drilled/tapped several holes in the stringers. My brackets stay in place, but I can take the rest of the unit out by myself in about 5 minutes if I need too. I didn't want the pylon in the middle of the boat and I wasn't ready to install a tower. The tower might be next spring!:)

GNAT87
11-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Pictures please. I've got a tower now and wouldn't mind getting the pylon out of the floor. I guess I could make a cap or something to cover the hole in the floor...what did you do?

ahhudgins
11-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Mine had no cap, the floor panel was one complete piece with carpet because the boat came from the factory with no pylon. I didn't think they would ship a MasterCraft out of the factory with NO pylon. Pictures are coming this weekend.

I think you guys may change your mind and just leave the pylon in. I got a good deal on the materials, waterjet cutting, and the welding. It took a lot of measuring and work to get it mounted the way I wanted, but it's solid. I did it all over the winter so I had plenty of time.

GNAT87
11-26-2009, 10:44 PM
I misunderstood, I thought you had one in the floor and moved it to the sun pad. Since I put a tower on I am taking mine out(center of floor). Now there is the hole where the pylon came through I've got to fill in and then I'm going to take it to the trim shop and have it re-carpeted.

ahhudgins
11-29-2009, 05:06 PM
If I had to do it all over again, I would have just installed a tower. My boat had no pylon in the center of boat, and I didn't want to install one there either. I looked at two V drives at the MC dealer and made my set up a lot bigger. Next year I want to add the tower but I know I'll hear it from my wife "You did all that work and you want to spend MORE money....blah blah blah":D

ahhudgins
11-29-2009, 05:17 PM
The whole frame can be taken off the brackets by removing 5 bolts on each side at the bottom. The brackets stay on the floor. The brackets are mounted around the motor mounts. I drilled and tapped the stringers, bolted the brackets to the stringers with 4 bolts each, 2 bolts on top of the stringer, 2 on the inside.