PDA

View Full Version : Stains on Vinyl, cleaner?

mpabreo
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
So I pulled the cover off today to catch a set and noticed yellow/orange stains in 3 locations on the observer seat about the size of a pencil eraser, and about 15 little dots on one of the back cushions. And I CANNOT get them out! I'm frustrated as hell cause I keep this boat immaculately clean, and I have no idea how they got there.

I've tried the following, none of which even faded the spots...

- MasterCraft General Purpose Cleaner
- 3M Vinyl Cleaner & Restorer
- Starbrite Vinyl Mildew/Stain Remover
- SuperClean Marine Cleaner and Degreaser (suitable in diluted amounts for vinyl)

So has anyone ever had these types of spots? What could it be from? And more importantly, whatp the hell will get this stuff out of the seats?

JMann
11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't know what they are but I used simple green to cleaner my seats then 303 them for protection. It definately cleaned my dirty seats but mine didn't have spots.

nmcjr
11-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I use Z-Care with a "potato brush" with very good results. I have only ever had one mark it couldn't get out and for that I used a Magic Erasor. I believe the Magic Erasor is a bit abrasive, so I only use that as a last resort.

RoverGuy04
11-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Sounds like you have mold spores on the vinyl. I had this same issue throughout my X-45 last season; however, the mold spores on my vinyl were pink and blue! None of the typical marine vinyl cleaners seem to work. I ended up using a slightly diluted mold cleaner/killer called Moldzyme and a bristle brush. I performed two applications with this technique and it removed the mold completely. After you scrub the mold off, make sure you let the cushions bake in direct sunlight for an afternoon. You certainly have to stay on top of the mold as it spreads very rapidly. Personally, I am not a big fan of the vinyl in my boat looking like a biological science experiment! Here are the links to the products I had success with. Both will be safe for your vinyl.

http://www.moldzyme.com/

http://www.propertyperfections.net/Molderizer-4oz-p/mldrzr-4oz.htm

RoverGuy04
11-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I use Z-Care with a "potato brush" with very good results. I have only ever had one mark it couldn't get out and for that I used a Magic Erasor. I believe the Magic Erasor is a bit abrasive, so I only use that as a last resort.

+1 on the Z-care product as well. I had a few friends who used this with great success.

mpabreo
11-22-2009, 08:36 PM

Which z-care do you use? The all purpose cleaner, or the LVP marine?

mpabreo
11-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Sounds like you have mold spores on the vinyl. I had this same issue throughout my X-45 last season; however, the mold spores on my vinyl were pink and blue! None of the typical marine vinyl cleaners seem to work. I ended up using a slightly diluted mold cleaner/killer called Moldzyme and a bristle brush. I performed two applications with this technique and it removed the mold completely. After you scrub the mold off, make sure you let the cushions bake in direct sunlight for an afternoon. You certainly have to stay on top of the mold as it spreads very rapidly. Personally, I am not a big fan of the vinyl in my boat looking like a biological science experiment! Here are the links to the products I had success with. Both will be safe for your vinyl.

http://www.moldzyme.com/

http://www.propertyperfections.net/Molderizer-4oz-p/mldrzr-4oz.htm

This sounds like it may be what I'm dealing with. There was a bit of dampness left in the boat Friday nite, I put the cover on late Fri, and didn't touch it till today. I'll look into this for sure.

nmcjr
11-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I use the LVP marine, and remember: the brush is the key, not nearly as effective with just a rag. However, I don't know if it will be effective if it is mold, since I have never had that problem, but for all other cleaning it is great.

sand2snow22
11-23-2009, 11:50 AM
I use magic erasers. Yesterday I had a red stain, almost scratch from a wakeboard on my white vinyl. A magic eraser + water and a little scrubbing got it out. It is like sand paper and not recommended, but it does work.

johkur
11-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Softscrub with bleach. Dab it on, let is sit in the sun, wipe off after a day in the sun, and reapply. It takes a few days, but each time the stain gets lighter and lighter. Of course try a test area (with any solution) first to avoid any potential surprises.

craig3972
11-24-2009, 01:45 AM
try uv light

tr6coug
11-24-2009, 04:02 PM
+1 for softscrub.

SchwabNC
11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Tilex

http://www.tilex.com/mold-and-mildew-remover/

Does contain some bleach so I would avoid contact with the stitching on the cushions if possible (as bleach can weaken fabric)

Mag_Red
11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Tilex

http://www.tilex.com/mold-and-mildew-remover/

Does contain some bleach so I would avoid contact with the stitching on the cushions if possible (as bleach can weaken fabric)
Yeah.....you don't want your upholstery looking like mine:D Stains are the least of my worries:rolleyes:

DemolitionMan
11-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Softscrub does work.

mpabreo
11-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I ordered the Moldzyme product previously mentioned. It was delivered, I tried it in various concentrations. Nothing. Didnt lighten the stain. Tried the magic eraser, nothing. Didnt even lighten the stain. Bought another bottle of vinyl stain remover (Starbrite vinyl shampoo and cleaner), didnt work at all. All tried with a stiff bristle brush. I guess the next step is Softscrub, is the consensus with bleach or without? Here's a pic of the smaller of the stains. Theres about 15 of these, and 2 larger in another location...

bturner2
11-30-2009, 08:28 AM
I use soft scrub with bleach diluted with water once a season. It works great to deep clean and restore to "like new" brightens. I use a soft brush to gently scrub the surface and it's amazing how well it works and how much dirt comes off the surface. I then thoroughly dry the surface and apply multiple applications of 303. This has worked well for me on the last 3 boats I've owned. I've never had any issues with cracking or seams tearing apart but again I'm very careful when cleaning and only do this once a year.

I don't know if it will remove your stains. I had the pink ones on my 03 X2 that I was able to get lighter but they never really went completely away.

Yellow X9
11-30-2009, 09:21 AM
I use Simple Green a soft bristol scrub brush, after wards I recondition the seats-works for me

venetrex
11-30-2009, 09:26 AM
It is probably not great for the vinyl, but how about goof off or some other form of a grafitti remover. Purple power works very very good if it it hot, like boiling. but be careful

Sodar
11-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I ordered the Moldzyme product previously mentioned. It was delivered, I tried it in various concentrations. Nothing. Didnt lighten the stain. Tried the magic eraser, nothing. Didnt even lighten the stain. Bought another bottle of vinyl stain remover (Starbrite vinyl shampoo and cleaner), didnt work at all. All tried with a stiff bristle brush. I guess the next step is Softscrub, is the consensus with bleach or without? Here's a pic of the smaller of the stains. Theres about 15 of these, and 2 larger in another location...

It looks like a stain that will lighten and disappear in the sun. I got a stain very similar to that from a tree that dropped a couple berries into the boat. The berries got wet and stained.

I ended up making a concoction of bleach diluted with water and OxyClean. I made it into a paste consistency and let it bake in the sun for a day, reapplying every few hours. It worked and the stain is gone.

When finished, spray a liberal coat of 303 on the seat and let that too bake in the sun.

mpabreo
11-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I was thinking of trying OxyClean but wasnt sure if it would be safe for the vinyl. Also, I am a bit afraid of any bleach or bleach products as the seats aren't white, Dove color per MC. I didn't want to create any bright white spots on the Dove vinyl.

Will try some softscrub, then Oxyclean if you guys say its safe. If this doesnt work I'll try some bleach mixed in, or softscrub with bleach.

SchwabNC
11-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Tilex did not change the color of the blue parts of my seats. I think, on the vinyl surfaces, its pretty safe. I would just spray enough on a cloth to wipe the affected areas. Come back 3-4 minutes later and see if it needs another round.