PDA

View Full Version : Play in 2006 X2 Rudder - How much?

Marky-mark
11-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Hi. I have a 2006 X2 and I have noticed that if I grab the rudder under the boat there is 1/4 to 1/2'' of play forward and back at the tip. Is this normal? Seems bad to me. Also, what's involved in fixing it if its an issue? Thought I'd try to get it sorted over the winter lay-up. Thanks!

mcskier
11-22-2009, 11:59 AM
1/4" to 1/2"? That sounds like a problem to me. I think no more than 1mm or so is considered normal. If it's really as much as you say, is it possible you hit something? That much play would probably require a replacement of the rudder port as I suspect you would not be able to cure it in the rudder linkage. I would try to the linkage (tiller/rudder interface) first however before you go into the more involved project of replaceing the port.

Marky-mark
11-22-2009, 05:16 PM
I've only had the boat for a year - but I definately haven't hit anything, although the play was there when I bought the boat but I didn't think anything of it before. What is involved in removing the rudder for inspection? There is no water leaking into the boat past the rudder. I'm starting to get a little worried now. :(

TMCNo1
11-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I've only had the boat for a year - but I definately haven't hit anything, although the play was there when I bought the boat but I didn't think anything of it before. What is involved in removing the rudder for inspection? There is no water leaking into the boat past the rudder. I'm starting to get a little worried now. :(

I would talk to Eric @ OJ Props, http://www.ojprops.com/contact_us and see what his take on your problem.

bigmac
11-22-2009, 05:35 PM
That's a pretty loose rudder. I replaced the rudder in my 2004 with a 2006 rudder. It fit the port very closely...virtually no play.

There are couple of different styles of rudder ports. Which one do you have?

http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudderattach.jpg http://mccollister.info/rudder/other rudder.jpg

tph
11-23-2009, 11:11 AM
If the rudder post has a grease fitting, I would try adding grease. This has solved the problem for me in the past.

Marky-mark
11-23-2009, 01:01 PM
To answer TPH the boat has a grease point which I have filled a couple of times. It does reduce the play but only short term.
Bigmac, the rudder in my boat is like the second, larger picture you posted.
Just thought I'd mention that there seems to be no roughness in the steering and it is all free to move.

SteveO
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
1/4" to 1/2"? That sounds like a problem to me. I think no more than 1mm or so is considered normal. If it's really as much as you say, is it possible you hit something? That much play would probably require a replacement of the rudder port as I suspect you would not be able to cure it in the rudder linkage. I would try to the linkage (tiller/rudder interface) first however before you go into the more involved project of replaceing the port.

When I saw the post title, you were the first one that came to mind. Ready to snow ski Sam?

Marky-mark
11-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Anyone else help? I'd love some information on how to remove the rudder to inspect for damage. Anything difficult? Is changing the rudder box a problem? Are there any bushes in there that could be worn and replaced?
Thanks for the input so far but I still haven't gotten to the bottom of it. Cheers!