PDA

View Full Version : depth finder readings on a trailer

venetrex
11-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Will somebody tell me if their depth finder will show a reading on a trailer. I had a depth finder problem and ordered a new pickup, the quesion is if that is my problem, my display just shows wait. I checked all wring connections and ordered the new pickup. Too cold to put back in the water, so I am wondering if it will register out of the water. I have a 2007 X2.
Thanks

mccobmd
11-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Don't think it will register out of water since they are based on tranmission of sound through the water and back up. I'm no sonar expert but thats my understaning. JF is the real engineer around here. I just know you can't us an ultrasound with conductive media (liqid of some type) and principal is similar

TMCNo1
11-21-2009, 03:54 PM
No, there should be no reading on the trailer.

TEAL98
11-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Here's a good topic I've been wanting to discuss, but never thought about asking because it always comes and goes in my thoughts (its not vital to my skiing). But since we're on the subject here and now, and instead of posting up a new thread, I'll continue this one. My depth finder won't read over 10-12 feet and sometimes, If I'm sitting for a period of more than 5 minutes, everything will just read -- -- -- for depth water temp and air temp. I have to turn it off, turn it back on, and sometimes it STILL won't even function properly. Any idea as to what may be the cause of this? Just curious