PDA

View Full Version : x 35 vs x15?

Chaounid
11-20-2009, 11:27 AM
i bought a MC X35 SS 1.5 years ago and thinking of changing it. I want to change it because i feel that it si too big... the wake is great but overall it feel like bus (plus consumes too much gas... and no need for a fridge and wet bar...)

I feel like like keeping it simple this time. I was thinking of replacing it with something smaller, with a good wake, but that can also take the chop well.

The one that seem appealing to me now is the X15 as it looks like a classic. Any suggestions or reviews on the 15? how is the wake on it?.... or do you think the x2 would be better...

Would love to hear what you think before I pull the trigger ...

Thx

jdl xstar
11-20-2009, 11:37 AM
You'll get lots of people chiming in on this one but my take on it based on what you've described is that the X-15 is the right choice for you. Going from a large 23.5 footer to a 20 footer is a big difference so the X-15 is right in the middle. I would venture to say the cockpit area on the X-15 will actually feel larger than the X35 since you wont have the sink. The only smaller area might be the bow since its not a pickle fork.

Something else to think about... Apparently there is an X-25 coming out for 2010. There are some pics and info in this forum somewhere but the whole concept hasn't been formally introduced quite yet. That could be a good option if you just want a smaller version of what you already have...

p.s. the X15 gets very high marks for both its boarding and ski wake.

Chaounid
11-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Thx

from what I read the 25 is coming out only in limited edition... will look for more info on it..

but how is the wake quality on the 15? also is it a quick nimble boat?
did you ever test one out?

jdl xstar
11-20-2009, 11:46 AM
I did not test one out. At the time, it was between an X2 and the X15 but I am a pickle for guy so that was a big factor for me so i din't even waste the dealers time with a test drive. From other user's experiences I read, I've heard nothing but very good things about the handling and wakes for the X-15. Others with first hand knowledge will give advice soon i'm sure.

Read what MYMC says about the X-15 here:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33227&page=3

MC X-15
11-20-2009, 01:08 PM
the 15 is a great boat. The wake is great, surf and wakeboard. Needs some weight to be huge but most boats do. The interior is large enough for at least 8-9 people and gear to be very comfortable. But definately could hold more if needed. The bow isnt a pickle so it alittle smaller than the x-2 but managable. Doesnt bother me at all. Great in choppy water. Ilove my x-15. VEry happy i went with it instead of the X-2.

bobx1
11-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I cant offer any advice but curious as to your use. For example::

Wake = 60% of time
Ski = 20% of time
Surf = 20% of time.

Also, do you do a lot of riding without pulling someone and is it big open water?

I may upgrade to the X2 at some point (or maybe 25) and have never heard much about the 15 (they dont sell around here) so am curious as to the adivce you will get based on your use.

mccobmd
11-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I looked at the x15 and X2 when I bought. If the chop gets too big anything under 23 ft can be bumpy.

H20BOY
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I have had the 15 for three years and absolutely love it. I feel it is the best all around boat available. Big enough for room but still nimble. Great wakes.

MC X-15
11-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I am in big open water and it works, but not great. If you want to be able to cruise through anything go with the 35 or even a CSX. Im in NJ and it gets pretty choppy at times and its jsut not fun going long distance in the barnegate bay.. My dealer took me for a ride in the CSX 26 footer I believe, and we were going 35 through some major chop. It was really nice. Made me second guess the 15. If I were to do it all over again i might go with a CSX but it is alot more expensive. I dont love the center console but everything else is pretty sweet.

Thrall
11-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Speaking only about the X2, from my point of view it handles choppy water very well (compared to my 190), but I don't think it'll take the waves near as well as the X15. The 15 is a much deeper hull and the X2 has that big "ski boat" hook in the nose that guarantees you're taking on water if you're pointed the wrong direction sitting in 2' waves.
Coming from the X35 I wouldn't go to the X2. I was looking almost exclusively for an X15 when the X2 popped up as a good deal, otherwise I'd have gone X15 for the rough water handling capacity. (and extra room inside the boat)

Smoothie
11-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Might be worth waiting till they actually produce some X25 seems like an interesting boat however not sure if i like the back seat it reminds me of the older sante210 I like having a straight back seat. Wish I had your problem.

Chaounid
12-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice.
What about the wake on the x15. Is it a great or so so?
Size and quality of the wake is obviously important.
Also, any info on the 25 or pictures would be great

Thanks

dcduers
12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
I have onwed the orginal Xstar (x1), X2, and now X15. I wouldn't go back to the X2 after owning the X15. Way more cockpit space, which is where we spend our time anyway. In regards to the bow, it's longer in the X15, just not as wide. As far as the wake goes the X15 is awsome. If your going to ski I suggest getting the wake plate to flatten it out. Plus the wake plate helps dial in the surf wake. I run the fly high sacs in mine and the wake is great and the fuel consumption isn't horible with the MCX. I like the X15 wake board wake better than that of the X2 for a couple reasons. 1. The X2 wake gets wide quick so you either have to speed up or ride a shorter than normal line length at your normal speed. I also feel the X15 wake offers a more vertical lip while still maintaining a great transition. The X2 is nice I just couldn't get that same lip no matter the weight I threw in it. Also the surf pocket is longer on the X15 than the X2.

sand2snow22
12-03-2009, 10:11 PM
I have onwed the orginal Xstar (x1), X2, and now X15. I wouldn't go back to the X2 after owning the X15. Way more cockpit space, which is where we spend our time anyway. In regards to the bow, it's longer in the X15, just not as wide. As far as the wake goes the X15 is awsome. If your going to ski I suggest getting the wake plate to flatten it out. Plus the wake plate helps dial in the surf wake. I run the fly high sacs in mine and the wake is great and the fuel consumption isn't horible with the MCX. I like the X15 wake board wake better than that of the X2 for a couple reasons. 1. The X2 wake gets wide quick so you either have to speed up or ride a shorter than normal line length at your normal speed. I also feel the X15 wake offers a more vertical lip while still maintaining a great transition. The X2 is nice I just couldn't get that same lip no matter the weight I threw in it. Also the surf pocket is longer on the X15 than the X2.

DC, can you comment on the X15 wake vs the X1 wake? Thanks.....

Eagle Lake Rebel
12-04-2009, 01:31 AM
When I was in the market I drove the 15,30 & 45. The 45 was too big for me, 15 a little to small, 30 was just right and didn't feel that much biggger than the 15. On my second 30 now, if I was in the market today it would be between the 30 & 25. I prefer my boats to have a pointed bow, but I think the 25 will have a better wake than 2,15, or 30 seeing that it's a CSX with a different lid on top.

smsbrett
12-04-2009, 05:51 AM
Here is the earlier thread discussing the X-25 which has a few pics:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33227&highlight=x-25

The information is still pretty limited. I had been considering the X2 and X15, but was very intrigued learning about the existence of the X25 just before I went down to Fanfare a couple of weeks ago. The reports of the X25 being on the CSX220 hull made it seem like it should be 21'5'', in between the size of the 2 and the 15. When I talked to some of the factory reps, though, it appears the hull is just based on the CSX220. It apparently has the same running surface, but it is more like 22'5''.

Ultimately, it was too big for my lake which is only 200 acres, so I decided on the X2, and the wakes look pretty good with the new plug and play ballast and surf tabs. It's my first boat, so spring can't come soon enough.

dcduers
12-04-2009, 11:17 AM
To put it simply the X1 throws a great wake as does the X15. I can't honestly say I prefer one over the other. The big difference is made up in the interior. If you want a great wake out of the X1 you have to have exposed ballast bags. However in the X15 you have storage everywhere to hide the bags. Put it this way to run 2500#'s in the X1 you're going to sacs exposed all over the bow, same weight in the X15, you wont see a thing.

tgfrancis
12-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Here is a link to a great discussion comparing the X2 and X15. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33026 The debate between the two has come up many times and everyone has some varying opinions but overall I have heard the same things. The following link goes over everything and does a good job summarizing the differences. Keep in mind the guy who started the debate has owned several X2s and one X15. He is going back to the X15 this year.

Also, the X25 will be a great boat for those that want a pickle fork front but either do not want the size and/or price increase of going to an X35 or X45 but also do not want the limitations of an Xstar. I got to check it out during fanfare a couple months ago and i think it will really help fill the void between the X2 and the next size up pickle fork (Xstar) while still hitting a decent price point and appealling to those that enjoy surfing and skiing as well as wakeboarding.

If you ever have the chance to go to fan fare do it, even if it is next year and you are already in your new boat. No where else will you have the opportunity to drive EVERY single model Mastercraft produces. It really opens your eyes to all of the subtle differences between each model.

tgfrancis
12-08-2009, 11:56 PM
My opinion; you will be happy with both boats in terms of performance and wake however you will probably like the X15's wake better. Also, the X2 is big for a 20' boat but it is still a 20' boat and the cockpit space is def smaller than the 15. I love my X2 and it is enough for me but i think it will be too drastic of a change for you coming from a 35. If the dealer you are working with knows you are serious they should be happy to let you take out both boats. That will make your decision much easier.