PDA

View Full Version : Converting carb to EFI

jipster43
11-20-2009, 11:00 AM
These conversion units have been out for quite a while now. Has anyone tried it in a marine application? I have the infamous 4110 carb that will be needing replacement and I thought it might be worth the extra expense to look into converting.

Thanks!

JP :)

Miss Rita
11-20-2009, 11:36 AM
If I was starting out fresh, I'd prefer EFI over carbs, but I wouldn't spend the money for the conversion.

Everything I've read says that the conversion is expensive, time-consuming, and does little to improve performance or fuel consumption. In other words, get your carb set-up to perform as it should and all will be well.

TMCNo1
11-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Just swap out the 4110 with a 4160 and a new fuel line and be done with it for less than $400.

east tx skier
11-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Can be done. Most would just as soon not go to the trouble and expense for the easier cold start and consistent idle.

Like Harold said, you will be very pleased with the performance of a 4160 over the 4010.

jipster43
11-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks fellas. Has anyone on this board tried the conversion? I am just weighing all the options. I have about six months to mull the idea over. Winter would get pretty boring if I decided on the 4160 so soon!

Waterski-Marcoisland
11-20-2009, 10:01 PM
i have a intake manifold, fuel rails and injectors for a GM marine crusader, check out the one I have in the market place.
http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=3181&cat=13

Skipper
11-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Saw this on TV. Just swap out the carb for this throttle body system and install an 02 sensor. This is self-tuning. But very expensive and I don't know if there is a marine application.

FAST EFI (http://www.atlanticspeed.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6175&idcategory=0)

jipster43
11-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah Skipper, my brother was showing me a similar system by FAST but it was $1800, and again, nothing to indicate that they had a marine application.

I'm looking at this as my off-season research project. I know the 4160 is a great carb, but I also know nearly everyone prefers EFI, so if there's a new product that can make a big difference in dependability and performance I'd like to be aware of it.

Thanks again for the info!

Skipper
11-21-2009, 06:39 PM
My previous boat was an '87 with a carb. Used to drive me nuts in the course because of troublesome restarts. My '95 has EFI and it makes life painless. Just that it seems like switching from carb to EFI is very costly, though much less expensive than buying a newer boat.

Good luck to you.

87 TriStar 190
11-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I also have an 87 with the 351. A few years ago the performance indicated a need for carb rebuild. I looked at changing over to EFI and was STRONGLY pushed away from it by my mechanic and several others. The conversion kit at that time was quite expensive and there was no support documentation available. Everyone said rebuild the carb and enjoy the boat. Turns out I had it rebuild and eventually found a badly corroded distributor cap that was causing the issues. It was suggested that there would be so many problems with EFI that I would be better off changing to a new engine. Runs perfectly with the carb at 1025 hours.

jipster43
11-22-2009, 07:05 PM
I certainly don't doubt the wisdom of sticking with a carb, but I'm still curious to hear from someone who has done the conversion. Especially a recent conversion. I would imagine that the technology has improved over the past several years.

Chicago190
11-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I certainly don't doubt the wisdom of sticking with a carb, but I'm still curious to hear from someone who has done the conversion. Especially a recent conversion. I would imagine that the technology has improved over the past several years.

You might want to check on some Ford car or truck forums, I wouldn't be surprised if no one here has made the conversion because the 4160 carb when tuned correctly is very reliable.

87 TriStar 190
11-23-2009, 07:43 PM
My carb is original. How would I know if it's a 4110 or 4160? Were OEM's 4110?

venetrex
11-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Which engine do you have in your boat, a chevy 350 or a ford 351? I did this conversion in a 1984 ford mustang. I bought an entire mustang 5.0 engine, harness and fuel tank to do this. You need the high pressure pump that is in the tank, there may be an external way, but costly. Maybe a fuel tank with the pump from a newer boat? You will also need a fuel feed and return line, not sure what your boat has. You also need to block off the mechanical fuel pump on the engine. The lower and upper intake manifolds would also be changed. The lower will have the fuel injectors, rail, etc. The coolant temp sensor can be installed probably in a location that has a plug of some sort in it. The MAS sensor from an 88 or new mustang would be better because with an o2 sensor it would tune itself, mostly, you would need to put that in the exhaust somewhere. The throttle linkage would need to be fabricated to fit the boat. A special flame arrestor air filter would be required for marine use. The wiring would need to be cleaned up in the harness. The computer would need to find a home. I know this is not marine, but this stuff doesn't make spark, so other than some moisture resistance it would work. TPS sensor would be on the throttle body so that would just need some wiring cleaned up. It was a ton of work, drilling, welding bungs for o2 sensors, running wires, running fuel lines, wiring up the fuel pump, mounting the computer, fabricating the throttle cable. That's a nice run on sentance. The key was I got the donor vehicle for $500, mustangs are a dime a dozen. And maybe another $100 or so in misc parts and gaskets. Was it worth it? It started and idled great. I got 22mpg instead of 17mpg. That's a car though. It was fun and I learned a lot. I also had a lot of spare time then. If you have a 351 a ford truck would be a better donor, but you could get everything from a mustang 5.0 and just get a 351W lower intake manifold from a truck. Shop around, if you have the time, the skills, for fabrication, and the patience, it's just cool to say and show off that you did it.

DooSPX
11-23-2009, 08:28 PM

only on the 285 hp HO 351's

TMCNo1
11-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Yours should be a 4160.

4110 has a dual fuel line inlets on the starboard side @ the front and rear bowls with externally adjustable floats in each bowl,

4160 has one fuel inlet on the front port bowl @ a 45 degree angle or a side mount port fuel inlet on the front bowl,

SunCoast 83
11-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Just swap out the 4110 with a 4160 and a new fuel line and be done with it for less than $400.

Agreed...far less taxing.

jipster43
11-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Wow Venetrex! That sounds like an awesome project. But, alas, I don't have near the skills, or time, or patience for something quite that involved. The FAST conversions, while admittedly not meant for marine use, are easily installed in a few hours.

The previous owner of my boat never had a problem with the 4110, so there's a possibility that I'll never have to worry about doing anything to it. This thread is mostly a querrie into what others have done or may do in the future in regards to the EFI conversion.

The positive results of simply switching to the 4160 have been well documented and can't be disputed. I'm just wonderin' and daydreamin'.

JP:)