PDA

View Full Version : ? about moving a boat interstate (CA to TN and back)

dtc
11-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey guys and gals ... just wanted to tap into the knowledge bank here and see if anyone has hired someone to transport their boat long distances?

After seeing the pictures of TayMC190's tower, I'm considering wanting to take my newly acquired Sanger (sorry it's not a MasterCraft, but the price was right) from CA to Maryville, TN to have a custom mini-tower built. Short of towing it myself, I'm wondering if there are any reputable companies out there for the general public that would do that for a reasonable price?

I know it's going to be expensive, however my other option for something that looks appropriate on little old closed bow is a full-sized ProFlight Swoop tower. I really like the looks and idea of the New Dimensions mini.

Thanks for any suggestions or tips ...

point1234
11-20-2009, 12:43 AM
would it not be cheaper just to have a tower shipped to you and you put the tower on the boat or have someone local put the tower on for you. Shipping the boat will be really expensive.

cdstukey
11-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Maybe you could catch one of the MC delivery guys heading east empty after dropping off west coast boats, their trucks hold 3 or 5 boats with trailers I think. There are shipping companys and uship.com but I haven't used any personally. I just shipped my scout back home and it was about 1500 enclosed trailer(800 open). I am sure somebody else will chime in shortly. Good luck.

TMCNo1
11-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Ronnie Belcher, Belcher Trucking, in Greenback, TN and his crew of drivers haul boats for several boat builders in the Knoxville, TN area including MasterCraft. Depending on where you are at and where the boat is, you may be able to work out something with him on transporting it for you if it can save him from returning to TN empty and/or if he has room on a load for delivery to your area. His phone # is 1-865-856-0225.
He went to Wyoming from Tennessee to pick up a '72 MC and delivered it to the owner in Connecticut for $2100, including 2 new tires, IIRC.
Ron and his drivers know their stuff and will do you a good job, reasonable and with the boat sales the way they are, he can probably use the work.

Jim@BAWS
11-20-2009, 09:05 AM
would it not be cheaper just to have a tower shipped to you and you put the tower on the boat or have someone local put the tower on for you. Shipping the boat will be really expensive.

Please...this is part of the STIMULUS package. Everyone get aFREE tower for there boat if they like it or not. This is an experiment to see if it works. Coming from the LEFT coast to middle america.

Read the NEW house bill. It is right there...

Jim@BAWS

jdl xstar
11-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I had an Xstar shipped 2,300 miles a few weeks ago. I used the website uship.com to find a shipper. You place your info and shippers bid on the service. Each bidder has a profile and feedback scores- sort of like ebay. In today's market, the bidding can get pretty aggressive and i think you'll be surprised at how cheap people will charge for their servoces. good luck

Finnsdad
11-20-2009, 12:06 PM
You could also check with moving companies (United, Atlas, Graebel, etc).

dtc
11-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys ...

Harold, I appreciate the contact info and will check out Mr. Belcher. And jdlarson1 thanks for the idea on seeing what the bidding market can do.

Next up ... convincing the wife that a New Dimensions custom mini is worth the extra expense over a full size ProFlight Swoop!! Maybe I should hit a jewelry store on the way to dinner before this conversation ... hahaha

xstarplease
11-20-2009, 01:58 PM
I would also recommend Uship. I have used freightquote.com to ship some larger items too. Never have shipped a boat or car through them, but they operate on the same premise as Uship.

I had a boat delivered this past winter from San Diego to Arkansas by a guy that my brother does business with a lot. That cost me $1400. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone cheaper than him, but he doesn't have a trailer to put the boat and trailer on. He will just have to pull it like you would if you were headed to the lake for the day. He has also picked up a car for me in New York plus hauled multiple loads for my brother. I know he is trustworthy if that is something you might be interested in.

OkMariner
11-21-2009, 12:11 AM
My brother and I just purchased a new 2008 XStar from California. I had it broght from California to Oklahoma (received it yesterday). I used Uship and used Marine Express. They were not the cheapest, but used a self loading and unloading trailer; thus NO wera and tear or debris on my boat. Thatwas worth the extra $150 dollars or so, and a repuatble transporter that hauls for the same dealership before (did not know that til lafter fact) and does so fro Tracker and many others.

Ron is First class guy!!

okxstar
11-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Yes, as OkMariner(my brother said) Ron with Marine Express did a wonderful job and his setup was perfect for these types of boats and trailers. He kept us up to date all the way along and works with your schedule as best as you could ask for. I have his contact info if interested. I would definitly use him again if we were going to do this again!

JohnE
11-21-2009, 08:43 AM
I think you will find that shipping is around a buck a mile. I can't imagine paying that much on top of the cost of the tower. Sounds like a 6 or 7 thousand dollar tower at that point. I know you didn't ask that, but just my thoughts. I'd look for something I could install myself or hire someone locally.

kkkeating
11-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Have you asked what it would cost to have a New Dimension Tech fly out to Sacramento to do the installation? If he needs to have access to tools and bending equipment, I'm sure a deal could be set up with a local machine shop, or the local machine shop could be responsible for the work and hire New Dimension to supervise the work. Could be some cost savings with this approach.

dtc
11-21-2009, 10:03 PM
kkkeating ... you're thinking right along the same lines I was/am. I tried a preliminary stab at getting New Dimensions out this way (offered to pay airline travel, meet at an industry event somewhere, etc), and Chad basically told me that getting the boat to TN was the only way to get a custom mini tower. I obviously would love any more suggestions, help, or information regarding others who might be interested in a ND tower that may "influence" his decision to come out this way for a west coast appearance.

Waterski-Marcoisland
11-21-2009, 10:35 PM
I just got an 06 Xstar brought down from Ohio yesterday. The guys I used did a great job (no damage) or (late). Charged $1.35 a mile..They are doing trips all over the US.
Call Kyle
859-595-3881
859-577-0086
859-744-7998
Try any of those numbers, not sure which one he answers the most. Tell him Dustin from Marco Island referred you..

WESSTAR
11-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Have you looked into getting a tower made locally? If memory serves there is a company that make towers in the Sacramento area. If I find the name I will send it.

WESSTAR
11-25-2009, 02:09 AM
Here it is they are located in Rancho Cordova. http://www.lightningaccessories.com/

TayMC197
11-25-2009, 03:31 AM
First off thanks for the complement. I imagine Chad and ND doens't have a designed Mini for the Sanger. So have you talked with him about desiging one? I'd imagine the price would go up. So your looking at 2,500 for the basic tower, around 2,500 to ship the boat, plus design fee's, plus accessorie's....So far your going to have atleast $5,000 in a older boat. I'd imagine you could sell your boat and purchase a Mastercraft with a mini for close to the same price. It just seems very expensive to consider that option. If you have the money ... then more power to you.

Also, thats B.S. Jim... I can't believe we get towers bought by the government now... I knew I should of waited... I guess I'll have to wait for the X-Star stimmulus

TayMC197
11-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Here is an option... Order a Mini Tower... take it to a local machine shop and have them weld/form the legs to match your boat. I'm sure it could be done while holding the design and form true. Looking about 500-1000 bucks for someone to do that. A good machinist that works with Aluminium should be able to make it look great and match your boat. Your still taking a gamble..