PDA

View Full Version : 1985 S & S Fuel Tank

broncotw
11-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know who the manufacturer of the fuel tank for the 1985 Stars and Stripes was?

The label on my fuel tank is wasted and unreadable....

If you had the model # that would be awesome as well...

Thanks,

Ted

Bizz238
11-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Does it need to be replaced ? I think the original is an aluminum 20 gal... And did you call MC? I'm sure they can help.

justinglow
11-18-2009, 08:28 PM
The 85 should be a poly tank. On my old 85 it was.

Bizz238
11-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Ok, the 24 gallon plastic then I guess?

broncotw
11-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah it's a 24 Gallon Plastic one.... The tank is good but I need to replace the pickup tube and filter.....

markismm
11-19-2009, 08:30 AM
It is a lot cheaper to repair / replace the pickup tube and filter. When I first got my 1984 the filter was clogged a quite a bit and was actually causing the pickup tube to collapse while running at a high rpm and suddenyl the fuel would cut off and the engine would cut off. I thought is was the fuel pump at first but I went thorugh the entire fuel system befor finally pulling the tank and removing the pickup tube which was clogged with all sorts fo debris. The pickup up filter is a bronze piece with a metal screen inverted inside of it. You can remove the filter from the tube and then clean it thoroughly. Once it is clean simply press back onto the pickup tube and you should not have any more problems. Also it is a good idea to clean out that old tank while you've got everthing apart.

I will say that the only problem i had with this job was actually removing the alluminum elbow that the pickup tube connects to from the tank. It appeared that at one time someone had put some sealent on it b/c it must have been leaking. When I tried to get it off, it wanted to turn inside of the tank. I ultimately had to cut the elbow off with a dremmel (very slowly and meticulously to not hurt the tank). I then replaced the elbow later with a new one after cleaning the pickup. Pain in the tail, but better than shelling out $300 plus bones.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey Ted..........does this sound a little familiar???

It is a lot cheaper to repair / replace the pickup tube and filter. When I first got my 1984 the filter was clogged a quite a bit and was actually causing the pickup tube to collapse while running at a high rpm and suddenyl the fuel would cut off and the engine would cut off. I thought is was the fuel pump at first but I went thorugh the entire fuel system befor finally pulling the tank and removing the pickup tube which was clogged with all sorts fo debris. The pickup up filter is a bronze piece with a metal screen inverted inside of it. You can remove the filter from the tube and then clean it thoroughly. Once it is clean simply press back onto the pickup tube and you should not have any more problems. Also it is a good idea to clean out that old tank while you've got everthing apart.

I will say that the only problem i had with this job was actually removing the alluminum elbow that the pickup tube connects to from the tank. It appeared that at one time someone had put some sealent on it b/c it must have been leaking. When I tried to get it off, it wanted to turn inside of the tank. I ultimately had to cut the elbow off with a dremmel (very slowly and meticulously to not hurt the tank). I then replaced the elbow later with a new one after cleaning the pickup. Pain in the tail, but better than shelling out $300 plus bones.

markismm
11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Have the same problem Ted? This crap drove me absolutely crazy man.

broncotw
11-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Sounds EXACTLY the same!!!

I think the bronze filter at the end of the fuel pickup is wasted..... I will try and clean it up and see what happens or maybe even try to find a replacement.....

I have the tank out and I and fixing to give it a good cleaning.....

I will report back soon with the results....

Thanks guys......

thatsmrmastercraft
11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
If you don't find the bronze filter locally, you might give the guys at skidim a call (1-803-345-0996). I didn't see the filter in the catalog, but if they don't have it, they probably know where to get it.

broncotw
11-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Here's a QUICK update....

Took fuel tank to car wash and loaded it with Dawn dish soap and commercial car wash degreaser..... Then I subjected it to about an hours worth of high preswsure spraying.....

Inside the tank I found a quarter and the remains of the fuel cap retaining cord.....

All of this BARELY removed the caked on sludge inside of the tank....

Currently, I have the tank sitting with 2 cans of Goo Off 2 inside of it (someone recommended it to me)! Does anybody have any other recommendations for solvents that can remove this sledge?

Thanks,

Ted
(210) 393-1228

broncotw
11-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Went back today and subjected the tank to another round of high pressure spraying some soap! The tank it about 95% clean now and the only remaining residue is in the corners -- although it is very slight.... Despite that the interior of the tank pretty much looks like new......

That Goo Off 2 is some amazing stuff......

markismm
11-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Good deal. I would try some lacquer thinner for any remaining residue. I would not leave the thinner in the tank for too long (over an hour or two) though. By the way take some photos of the repair to post here if you have the time. Always a good idea for future reference.