PDA

View Full Version : Before I buy....

Panda Cub
11-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I am currently in the market to purchase a 87-97 PS 190 (or a sportstar 19), and I have been doing a lot of research on boats; I'm looking to buy a little bit after the new year. Growing up my entire family owned nautiques, and I have been looking into purchasing a mastercraft; needless to say my Dad does not approve.

Anyways I would like to know anything that can be problematic on the boats, basically what are minor details that can go bad easily that I will need to look at?

Example with the nautiques: the nautiques have wooden stringers that rot.
Solution: purchase a mastercraft.

What are problem areas for the PS 190s?
Are there any areas that the seals (around the rudder, drive shaft) on the hull will leak?
And with these minor problems, which ones are the easy fixes?

Any help is much appreciated!

BrianM
11-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Nothing in particular on these boats. Just do your standard mechanical checks. I have a friend with a very nice '96 190 for sale. Sent you a PM.

loeweb
11-18-2009, 04:22 PM
I currently own a 1988 190 with 650+ hours on it. I am the third owner, and knock wood the only things that I have done to the boat have been to fix minor dings from the previous owners.

flipper
11-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Make sure it has no LED's on it.:D

east tx skier
11-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Example with the nautiques: the nautiques have wooden stringers that rot.
Solution: purchase a mastercraft.

1992 and earlier had wooden stringers in the Nautiques. MC had no wooden stringers from mid-1983 on. I believe MC still had some wood in the combing pads and other areas (possibly seat bases) in the mid to late 80's. ICBW. Most of the wood was gone by the early 90's. I don't think my 93 had any wood in it that I found.

Since you mentioned the Sportstar 19/19 Skier, presumably you are looking at some mid/late 90's boats, too. So I figured that giving you the years each company went composite on the stringers would be helpful. I think CC still had some wood in the floor until 1994 or 1995. From there on, wood free.

Like Brian and others mentioned, there aren't much in the way of standard problems with the boats or years you mentioned.

/but see my post below about the early 90's.

Chicago190
11-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Obvious difference is that you are looking at 3 different hulls.

No need to worry about rotten stringers.

87-93 is carbed, 94-97 was EFI. Although there may have been some EFI 93s, I'm not 100% sure. I think there may have been a difference in the carb used (4010/4160), but I don't know which is better.

Other than that, as long as they were well taken care of I don't think there are any inherent defects.

east tx skier
11-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Obvious difference is that you are looking at 3 different hulls.

No need to worry about rotten stringers.

87-93 is carbed, 94-97 was EFI. Although there may have been some EFI 93s, I'm not 100% sure. I think there may have been a difference in the carb used (4010/4160), but I don't know which is better.

Other than that, as long as they were well taken care of I don't think there are any inherent defects.

The EFI LT-1 was an option in 93. The 4010 "fish bowl" carb came with the 285 hp 351-HO in 92 and 93. I found this carb to be a nightmare and replaced it with the reliable 4160. Others have had better luck with it. CC used the 4010 around this time as well, but ultimately recalled them and swapped them for the 4160.

Like Chicago190 said, 3 different hulls from 87 --97.

Panda Cub
11-19-2009, 10:27 AM
1992 and earlier had wooden stringers in the Nautiques. MC had no wooden stringers from mid-1983 on. I believe MC still had some wood in the combing pads and other areas (possibly seat bases) in the mid to late 80's. ICBW. Most of the wood was gone by the early 90's. I don't think my 93 had any wood in it that I found.

Since you mentioned the Sportstar 19/19 Skier, presumably you are looking at some mid/late 90's boats, too. So I figured that giving you the years each company went composite on the stringers would be helpful. I think CC still had some wood in the floor until 1994 or 1995. From there on, wood free.

Like Brian and others mentioned, there aren't much in the way of standard problems with the boats or years you mentioned.

/but see my post below about the early 90's.

In 93 correct craft went to a composite stringer; there is no way I can afford a correct craft boat. I want a mastercraft because it is more of a "no frills ski boat".

I'd take MC wake any day for slalom, however CC has a much better trick wake.

Panda Cub
11-19-2009, 10:30 AM
The EFI LT-1 was an option in 93. The 4010 "fish bowl" carb came with the 285 hp 351-HO in 92 and 93. I found this carb to be a nightmare and replaced it with the reliable 4160. Others have had better luck with it. CC used the 4010 around this time as well, but ultimately recalled them and swapped them for the 4160.

Like Chicago190 said, 3 different hulls from 87 --97.

Awesome! Thank you for the carb advice!

I know there are 3 different hulls I am looking at, however I'd prefer the 95-97 hull. I recently got engaged......so I may need to save a little bit more money, and not spend so much on a boat!

east tx skier
11-19-2009, 12:18 PM
In 93 correct craft went to a composite stringer; there is no way I can afford a correct craft boat. I want a mastercraft because it is more of a "no frills ski boat".

I'd take MC wake any day for slalom, however CC has a much better trick wake.

As a former MC owner and a current CC owner who only slaloms, I don't agree with the "no frills" statement, except with regard to the Sportstar, which was the point of that boat. As for the wake, I think it depends on the year, but it's a matter of opinion. My opinion is that, year for year, especially for longer line lengths, I prefer MC up through 96 after which point, my preference is CC.

As for price, I sold my 93 for just a bit more than I paid for my 98 CC.

I'm not trying to push one brand over the other. I loved my 93 MC and have skied behind nearly every Pro Star hull design from 93 to present. I've also skied every SN hull from 91 to present. I think you will be quite happy with any of the MC's you're considering. But I figured it was worth injecting some facts about comparable CC years just for an honest basis of comparison.

Good luck with your boat search. Lots of good info on MC here.

east tx skier
11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Awesome! Thank you for the carb advice!

I know there are 3 different hulls I am looking at, however I'd prefer the 95-97 hull. I recently got engaged......so I may need to save a little bit more money, and not spend so much on a boat!

95--97 hull is a great boat. The TBI engine has a nice bit of mid range torque and is reliable. The Sporstar is the best way to save money on that hull. 95--97's seem to still fetch a pretty good price.

Panda Cub
11-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Hmmmmm, so I was talking to a friend in montana and he told me that mastercraft is switching to triple clutching fuel injectors in the valve spring manifold covers.

What year did this happen?

Thrall
11-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Hmmmmm, so I was talking to a friend in montana and he told me that mastercraft is switching to triple clutching fuel injectors in the valve spring manifold covers.

What year did this happen?

Are you serious! 'Cause anyone who knows anything about fuel injection knows that they switched to quadruple clutching injectors a long time ago!:D

Panda Cub
11-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Are you serious! 'Cause anyone who knows anything about fuel injection knows that they switched to quadruple clutching injectors a long time ago!:D

I knew he was just a sledneck spouting a load of cow pie to me!

Did this happened after the trailer bearings were removed from the hull?

Has anybody had any experience with the pylon becoming loose from the floor? I have never heard of anybody having this problem with a MC or CC, but because of my size I need to be concerned; I snapped two ropes this season, equipment was not designed for guys over 200 lbs skiing the course at 32+ mph. After this experience I learned my size is a concern for almost anything that I do waterskiing.

I have heard horror stories about ski supremes, and other off brand boats where the pylon gets ripped out of the floor, but has anybody had a problem with a MC?

Does the fiberglass floor and stringers make the pylon almost invincible?

east tx skier
11-20-2009, 01:08 AM
I've heard of it happening on a supra. Just needed to be tightened down. I know I've heard of someone on here needing to tighten the pylon down. Not much to it though. Mine was always rock solid on the 93.

Archimedes
11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
My 94 190 was an awesome boat. Best boat I've owned. No complaints with it at all and I'd buy one again in a second if it fit my lifestyle.

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I tried panda once in shanghai......... it was kinda greasy but very tender.

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Took some of you wayyyyyyyyyyyy too long.