PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Upgrade

Skipper
11-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Would there be a noticeable increase in slalom course performance by switching to a newer rudder (pictured below) on a 1995 Prostar 190?

Skipper
11-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Would it fit on a 1995 Prostar?

TMCNo1
11-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I went with the angular MBD s/s rudder on our '89 after the OEM duck bill one cracked and I can tell no difference in the steering from idle to WOT. If you change out the rudder box also, yes it will fit. It may even fit the old rudder box like ours did, but you have to compare the two to make sure. If it fits the old rudder box, replace the old O rings with the ones in the new rudder box or get two new ones so you'll have a new good seal.

east tx skier
11-18-2009, 06:35 PM
I'd stick with your current rudder. After several years with the wedge shape, in 2006, MC went back to one very close to the shape of the rudder on your 95.

TMCNo1
11-18-2009, 08:43 PM
I'd stick with your current rudder. After several years with the wedge shape, in 2006, MC went back to one very close to the shape of the rudder on your 95.

It was problematic with the larger boats, so to reduce inventory and any future problems they reverted back to the duckbill style for the entire lineup of boats, but on the smaller 190/197's, the angular rudder replacement will work just as good as the OEM big duckbill style.

east tx skier
11-19-2009, 12:44 AM
It was problematic with the larger boats, so to reduce inventory and any future problems they reverted back to the duckbill style for the entire lineup of boats, but on the smaller 190/197's, the angular rudder replacement will work just as good as the OEM big duckbill style.

I'll take that statement to the bank. However, for the OP's purposes, there would be no performance reason to swap his stock rudder, correct?

It seems to me, from the couple of people I know of who went from the wedge to the duck on their 05 197's, the change was a noticeable improvement, at least according to them. I've skied the same 197 both before and after its rudder was swapped from the wedge to the duck and I'd swear it softened things up behind the boat (I can't imagine why this would be the case, but I've heard other people say this). What's more, I didn't know the rudder had been changed until after I had noticed the improvement.

Now, I'm just going to wait for Neil to come on here and tell me the boat always had the rudder upgrade, at which point, I'll eat those words. :)

Skipper
11-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Great input. Thank you all.

Let me pose this question, how can a rudder effect the performance of the boat? Aside from causing the boat to change (or hold) direction, does the rudder have any other effect on the boat?

BrianM
11-19-2009, 10:03 AM
What are you trying to accomplish? I did some substantial filing to mine in order to achieve a strong pull to the right which helps tracking in the course. I don't feel the rudder lacks any performance. Handling is fantastic.

Skipper
11-19-2009, 02:11 PM
The boat tracks very well, for the most part. It does get pulled side to side when a skier digs hard after the ball.

I was just curious because it looked to me as though the shape of the rudder in newer boats was much different than my older '95.

In this thread East TX Skier mentioned that a rudder swap effected the softness of the wake table: "I've skied the same 197 both before and after its rudder was swapped from the wedge to the duck and I'd swear it softened things up behind the boat (I can't imagine why this would be the case, but I've heard other people say this). What's more, I didn't know the rudder had been changed until after I had noticed the improvement."

That is why I ask what other effects does a rudder have aside from simply direction change.

east tx skier
11-19-2009, 06:53 PM
I think your OEM rudder is so similar to the current "duck" rudder that, even assuming it is compatible with your boat, I doubt it would make much of a difference.

Even the boats that track incredibly are not impervious to a hard pulling skier. The best you can do is get a good torque built into your rudder so that you can hold your line.

ncsone
11-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Now, I'm just going to wait for Neil to come on here and tell me the boat always had the rudder upgrade, at which point, I'll eat those words. :)

Doug - no need to eat your words on this. Although I did not notice any difference between the old rudder and the 06 rudder on my 05, it did seem more controllable at idle speeds with the new rudder. I seemed to notice it the most when I was putting the boat on the trailer - it was much easier to keep the boat straight and going in the right direction with the new rudder vs. the old. Then again, it just may have been me and 'controllable' is a relative term when referring to inboard boats at idle.

east tx skier
11-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Doug - no need to eat your words on this. Although I did not notice any difference between the old rudder and the 06 rudder on my 05, it did seem more controllable at idle speeds with the new rudder. I seemed to notice it the most when I was putting the boat on the trailer - it was much easier to keep the boat straight and going in the right direction with the new rudder vs. the old. Then again, it just may have been me and 'controllable' is a relative term when referring to inboard boats at idle.

I guess my question is did you have that rudder the first time I skied behind that beautiful boat of yours on the Brazos? It may have been that rough Brazos water (;)), but I felt like the last 3 or so times I've skied it since then, it seemed much, much smoother. Maybe it just takes me a couple of turns to get used to different boats. That was certainly the case with my present tug. Probably took 3 outings before I settled in.