PDA

View Full Version : New to us 79 Stars and Stripes

JimmyW
11-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Hey Everyone,

My wife and I just picked this up a few weeks ago and we can't wait to get out on it and behind it next summer! One quick question though, from what I've read the in the 80s MC started putting bow storage in them where ours (79) is filled with foam. Has anyone removed the foam in theirs to make for more storage (for life jackets, fenders, towels, etc.)or would this be a bad idea? Thanks in advance and from what I have been reading so far you are all a great source of info and have some beautiful boats!

DemolitionMan
11-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Nice boat. Congrats.

ProStar200
11-18-2009, 02:22 AM
Congrats on your new S&S, welcome to Team Talk. Hope you enjoy it as we enjoy ours. Someone will be able to help you out here. Good luck.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Congratulation on the new boat. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy my '77.

Don't know if you want to remove that foam. That foam, along with the foam under the gunwales, is what keeps it from sinking to the bottom of the lake should there be a major problem with water in the boat.

I can identify with wanting the extra storage space.

TMCNo1
11-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Hey Everyone,

My wife and I just picked this up a few weeks ago and we can't wait to get out on it and behind it next summer! One quick question though, from what I've read the in the 80s MC started putting bow storage in them where ours (79) is filled with foam. Has anyone removed the foam in theirs to make for more storage (for life jackets, fenders, towels, etc.)or would this be a bad idea? Thanks in advance and from what I have been reading so far you are all a great source of info and have some beautiful boats!

Nice little boat!
BTW, if you continue to show up as a guest, even though you show in your profile as a full fledged member, follow the posts in this thread to get it corrected,
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26931

MariStar-Man
11-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Hey Everyone,

My wife and I just picked this up a few weeks ago and we can't wait to get out on it and behind it next summer!

Congrats Jimmy! It looks well kept and it shouldn't be too long before you make her your own... What will be the first items your going to tackle?
I also noticed you said, "My wife and I." and not simply, I pulled the trigger..." It's refreshing to hear that... and I need to remember it.

Wacko
11-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Looks like a great boat. Keep posting pics on any work you do on it.

cbryan70
11-18-2009, 01:32 PM
The foam may have been for that in 79 when it was built but I can promise that the foam would sink now. One of my friends did cut a hole for acess up front and took foam out. He also has a blown out 454 in it. Hasnt sunk yet......I will warn you tho the foam SUCKS to work with.

SunCoast 83
11-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Great boat and welcome to TT. Not sure what balance effects removing the foam would have

Hammer
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Nice boat! Don't have any idea about the foam.

Wacko
11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I would remove the foam if you needed to. It is there simply to keep the boat from sinking after catastrophic failure. And that is not the only place for foam in the hull. Besides, that is what insurance is for.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-19-2009, 09:14 PM
I don't know of an insurance company that would pay out on a claim for a submerged boat that had the flotation removed.

atlfootr
11-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Welcome aboard Jimmy!
Check this out, your very own S & S Thread :D

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7987&highlight=Stars+Strips+Thread

454Prostar190
11-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Nice boat and I have always liked the curved windshield! Congratulations!

gid
11-24-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't know of an insurance company that would pay out on a claim for a submerged boat that had the flotation removed.

They will.

95% of the floatation was removed from my 72', nothing remains up front. IF she starts to sink I keep the life jackets very handy as she will go like a rock

Sidewinder
11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice boat! I have a '79 too! What engine does yours have? Mine has a 2 barrel 233hp 351 Mercruiser. Doesn't seem like many (any?) members on here have that engine. Just curious.

As for storage, the previous owner cut a rectangular slot behind the passenger seat backrest and added a hinged plywood flap that allows access to the stereo / subwoofer. Not sure if there would have been a small access hole in that location or not, but if not, it would be a way to increase your storage w/o having to get into removing foam from the bow.

you could of had a MC
12-01-2009, 10:41 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=408

Glad to see your in the game, S&S forever!! I have an extra MC trailer '83 light blue, that came with my '79 its for sale.. just puttin that out there.
If it wasn't for snow skiing here in the Northwest I'd kill myself.

ecproductions143
06-20-2010, 04:14 AM
I will be remving mine as well during my restoration just up front in the bow