PDA

View Full Version : Rudder from a 1984 Stars and Stripes - bling!

markismm
11-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Well it was time to replace my strut/cutlass bearings/bushings in the ole 84 S&S. Disconnected everthing, went to pull the shaft and discovered that the rudder was actually not mounted far enough to the side to pull the shaft. I know it was supposed to be as I have replaced another set of bushings on my buddies S&S and did not have to remove the rudder. In any event, removed the rudder fairly easily. Cut out the bushings with a saws-all. Replaced the bushings, but before reinstalling the rudder, I figured I would give the ole boat a little more flash while on the trailer. Polished that bad boy up. See below. So pretty, you can even see my rippling muscles in the reflection on one of the pics. Looks like I am naked, but let me assure you I was clothed when polishing the rudder. I did not get completely naked until after the pic was taken.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/mandymaholick/DSC_0359.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/mandymaholick/DSC_0360.jpg

markismm
11-17-2009, 10:03 PM
By the way, how do I become something other than a "newbie" under my username above?? Ready to move up status-wise.

Hrkdrivr
11-17-2009, 10:06 PM
It's got to do with the number of posts you have...it'll change autmatically, but I don't know the break-points. If you search around you might find them, but I'm sure an old-head will be along shortly to tell you...

Nice rudder work BTW!!

Plymouth Family Guy
11-17-2009, 10:48 PM
By the way, how do I become something other than a "newbie" under my username above?? Ready to move up status-wise.

I believe you are a Newbie through your 30th post. You are almost ready for an upgraded title.

Nice job on polishing the rudder. It looks great.

TMCNo1
11-17-2009, 11:29 PM

Here in the general Discussion FAQ, http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=182268&postcount=38

Slinkyredfoot
11-18-2009, 08:58 AM
What did you use to get the rudder to look so good? I have used about everthing and got mine looking better but not as good as yours?

TMCNo1
11-18-2009, 09:35 AM
What did you use to get the rudder to look so good? I have used about everthing and got mine looking better but not as good as yours?

Easiest way to DIY is to use emory cloth discs on a drill or buffer/grinder, using finer and finer grit till all the marks are gone, then when it is smooth and all pits and streaks are gone, wet sand with starting with 600, then 1200, and then 2000, then polish it with a wool pad on a drill or buffer/grinder till it glows. Be careful not to grind too much of the material away in the thick part of the rudder at the location where the rudder shaft is, or it can get thin and the rudder will crack down the area of the rudder shaft

Wacko
11-18-2009, 01:29 PM
How long will that shine last? In other words, how often do you have to polish it to maintain that shine?

TMCNo1
11-18-2009, 02:20 PM
How long will that shine last? In other words, how often do you have to polish it to maintain that shine?

They will tarnish after just a few minutes in the water, depending on the acidity. I used to polish after every use, but those pics are from a few day ago and they had not been polished since right before CSM in late April '08. I have seen a resaon to polish them and keep them up as much because of the lack of reunions and reunion interest.

markismm
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I started off with using a 400 grit sandpaper. Afterwards I used a 600 grit. Although some of the scratches were still left in it and some pitting was still visible, I did not want to go any further as I did not want to remove too much metal. Afterwards I got some bronze/brass polish and took a car machine buffer and went to town. I did all of this in about 35 minutes before I had to run out with the wife for a family dinner. I am sure I could have made it look even better if I had taken a lot more time and was not in a hurry like I was.

On the topic of longevity of shine. I think the rudder should be treated in the same fashion you should treat your teak platform. Each time (or at least every other time) I remove the boat from the water I reapply teak oil to the platform with a hand towel. I would simply rub down the rudder each time you remove the boat from the water with a hand towel using the brass/bronze polish. It should never tarnish if you do this, especially if you get polish that has chemicals to preserve the brass/bronze finish.

TMCNo1
11-18-2009, 02:41 PM
I started off with using a 400 grit sandpaper. Afterwards I used a 600 grit. Although some of the scratches were still left in it and some pitting was still visible, I did not want to go any further as I did not want to remove too much metal. Afterwards I got some bronze/brass polish and took a car machine buffer and went to town. I did all of this in about 35 minutes before I had to run out with the wife for a family dinner. I am sure I could have made it look even better if I had taken a lot more time and was not in a hurry like I was.

On the topic of longevity of shine. I think the rudder should be treated in the same fashion you should treat your teak platform. Each time (or at least every other time) I remove the boat from the water I reapply teak oil to the platform with a hand towel. I would simply rub down the rudder each time you remove the boat from the water with a hand towel using the brass/bronze polish. It should never tarnish if you do this, especially if you get polish that has chemicals to preserve the brass/bronze finish.

Believe me, after 24+ years of polishing underwater bronze, nibral, brass pieces, I have tried everything on the market I can find to prevent them from tarnishing and there is nothing out there that I know of. Chroming them or replacing them with polished s/s is the only way to permantely have a shine after use.

Slinkyredfoot
11-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Easiest way to DIY is to use emory cloth discs on a drill or buffer/grinder, using finer and finer grit till all the marks are gone, then when it is smooth and all pits and streaks are gone, wet sand with starting with 600, then 1200, and then 2000, then polish it with a wool pad on a drill or buffer/grinder till it glows. Be careful not to grind too much of the material away in the thick part of the rudder at the location where the rudder shaft is, or it can get thin and the rudder will crack down the area of the rudder shaft

Thanks for all of this info, when do you ever find time to mow your grass, go on a date, have a beer, and I am guessing you don't have a teak swim platform, I would hate to see the steps involved with that production :D

SkiDog
11-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all of this info, when do you ever find time to mow your grass, go on a date, have a beer, and I am guessing you don't have a teak swim platform, I would hate to see the steps involved with that production :D

Trust me, Been there, done ALL that, Got the 'T' Shirts and the trophys! It is a LOT of hard, & dirty work. Work which i will NOT do again! Fun while I was showing, but not any more! Right Mr. Page?!:D it sure cut into my drinking and chasing the elusive split tails time!:D;)

TMCNo1
11-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Trust me, Been there, done ALL that, Got the 'T' Shirts and the trophys! It is a LOT of hard, & dirty work. Work which i will NOT do again! Fun while I was showing, but not any more! Right Mr. Page?!:D it sure cut into my drinking and chasing the elusive split tails time!:D;)

Right, but I do miss it sometimes and have nothing to do now with all this hard work I have invested, but to let it go downhill, that's why I haven't polished anything in 1.5 years till last week when I got bored.
Last week was the first time since the winter of '07/'08 that I've even waxed the boat, cause it already had 20 years of wax on it anyway, so W-T-H!

SkiDog
11-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Right, but I do miss it sometimes and have nothing to do now with all this hard work I have invested, but to let it go downhill, that's why I haven't polished anything in 1.5 years till last week when I got bored.
Last week was the first time since the winter of '07/'08 that I've even waxed the boat, cause it already had 20 years of wax on it anyway, so W-T-H!

Holy crap, I'll bet the ole girl is feeling neglected! She ain't gonna crank the next time you drop her in the water! Find SOMETHING to do on it!:D

deereman
11-28-2009, 01:17 AM
#1, is that the factory strut on there or is that a special polished one? looking at ours, i could never imagine getting it to look like that! i tried doing some poliishing on it but just said screw it because it sits in the water and gets all full of algae anyway:(

TMCNo1
11-28-2009, 10:23 AM
#1, is that the factory strut on there or is that a special polished one? looking at ours, i could never imagine getting it to look like that! i tried doing some poliishing on it but just said screw it because it sits in the water and gets all full of algae anyway:(

It's the original strut, taken off in 1991 and professionally polished, reinstalled along with the fins and maintained for 18 years.

SunCoast 83
11-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I hope mine can look as good as that someday...maybe a good winter garage project for me....

deereman
11-28-2009, 04:16 PM
It's the original strut, taken off in 1991 and professionally polished, reinstalled along with the fins and maintained for 18 years.

wow, VERY nice!