PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat 4 Predator Engine

Mag_Red
11-16-2009, 09:54 AM
In the process of Winterizing the boat this year, I discovered that my engine didn't have a thermostat installed. :confused:I've never taken off the elbow going into the intake manifold, so I have no idea why there isn't a thermostat. Could I get one at te local Auto Zone, or is there a specific part # to ask for??? The reason I ak is I did get a 160 degree thermostat from Auto Zone, but it seems like the outer flange is too thin to sit tight in the recess

Mag_Red
11-16-2009, 10:41 AM
wow! Got a call from Jim@BAWS.............situation handled! Should have the correct Thermostat and gasket sometime this week!!!! Thanks for your help Jim:wavey:

JimN
11-16-2009, 10:42 AM
In the process of Winterizing the boat this year, I discovered that my engine didn't have a thermostat installed. :confused:I've never taken off the elbow going into the intake manifold, so I have no idea why there isn't a thermostat. Could I get one at te local Auto Zone, or is there a specific part # to ask for??? The reason I ak is I did get a 160 degree thermostat from Auto Zone, but it seems like the outer flange is too thin to sit tight in the recess

Any chance of checking for a gap with a straightedge and feeler gauge? If it's only a couple pf thousandths, it should be filled by the gasket.

I was at O'Reilly's on Saturday and they offer one called 'Failsafe', where it goes open when it fails, instead of sticking closed.

Mag_Red
11-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Any chance of checking for a gap with a straightedge and feeler gauge? If it's only a couple pf thousandths, it should be filled by the gasket.

I was at O'Reilly's on Saturday and they offer one called 'Failsafe', where it goes open when it fails, instead of sticking closed.I thought about that Jim.......thing was the casket they gave me was a FEL-PRO Perma Dry Plus. It has two round, what might be called O-rings, impregnated in each side of the gasket material. Which, when set dry on top of the intake, would leave a small gap between the top flange of the thermostat and the gasket surface. Tat might have been what I was feeling...........I was going to place a straight edge across the face of the housing to see if the Thermostat does in fact sit flush...... Jim at BAWS said there is a small difference in a marine Stat so I'll just wait till the correct Thermostat and gasket arrive this week