PDA

View Full Version : FRAUD: Boat Puchase IT CAN HAPPEN

Jim@BAWS
11-15-2009, 12:22 PM
About 3 weeks or so we had a customer, LOCAL St Pete, come in and look for a MasterCraft. Well we have some that need homes more than others, After giving the customer the price on a X-Star, he let us know that we where gouging him in the MID 60s, that he could get new one somewhere else for 1000s less. well he did.

He sent $60K via Western Union to an individual in Maryland $60K. He has since called MC with the Hull ID #. It does not exist in the system of course. I don't know what some folks are thinking today. Selling a boat these days is more like rocket science. There is not a POT OF GOLD awaiting a dealer after the boat is SOLD. Are we suposed to sell UNDER dealer cost? We have been told that the FBI is involved.

Of course somehow this will end up being our fault or MCs fault because we did not give the guy the BEST price and he had to shop else where.

There are folks out there that get fooled. I don't know how many emails I get for
"I want to buy your item forsale"

Both buyers and sellers need to BE AWARE. This is the FIRST one that I have heard that finally worked to the tune of $60K

Jim@BAWS

JohnE
11-15-2009, 12:24 PM
If it seems too good to be true it probably is?

bigmac
11-15-2009, 12:34 PM
LOL. Anybody with half a brain and access to a computer should have been immediately tipped off at the magic words "Western Union". That's the prime mechanism of every low-life scammer everywhere in the world.

Too bad people are so often inclined to be so stupid. I know that I could buy a lot of the boats, cars and toys I buy cheaper if I were willing to shop around via the internet, but I'm willing to pay more for the security of knowing I'm dealing with an honest dealer whom I can look in the eye. This customer obviously should have done the same. I wonder if he learned that.

flya750
11-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Local St Pete? Was this a man of the cloth???

Jim@BAWS
11-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Local St Pete? Was this a man of the cloth???

Saint Petersburg Russia

Please...learn your geography HA HA HA

St Petersburg Florida

Jim@BAWS

D3skier
11-15-2009, 01:25 PM
if I'm going to drop $60k+ on a boat I'm going to go see it in person before I drop that kind of coin...

Maristar210
11-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Jim,

I don't or at least I hope I don't see any connection between this "persons" blunder and blaming you h for his stupidity. I would tell the guy to go piss up a rope if he came back crying to me. But I'm an ahole anyways :D:D

Jim@BAWS
11-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Jim,

I don't or at least I hope I don't see any connection between this "persons" blunder and blaming you h for his stupidity. I would tell the guy to go piss up a rope if he came back crying to me. But I'm an ahole anyways :D:D

Just one of those things...." Well I can get it cheaper somewhere else" And all you want to say is' There is the door, don't let it hit you in the as_ We pretty much pride ourselves on being forth coming and honest. There are ALOT of bottom feeders out there.

I will try and sell a person a boat till they go tell me to POUND DIRT. This fella never really wanted to listen to us. I personally did not have any interaction with this person. This IS NOT hearsay. This is what really happened. Word got back to us from MC

I hope that he gets his money back somehow and wants us to sell him a boat again,

It is tough to fell bad for a guy like that but I do. $60K. There is NO CONSCIENCE on the guy or group on the other end. I really wonder how many buyers fall for it

Jim@BAWS

scott023
11-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Jim,

That's the first thing I thought... W T F could be put on the dealer here. Meat heads I tell ya.

jipster43
11-15-2009, 03:00 PM
For the record Jim, I blame you for the 1982 VW Diesel Rabbit that I bought in college and I expect reparations.

JP :)

Jim@BAWS
11-15-2009, 03:24 PM
For the record Jim, I blame you for the 1982 VW Diesel Rabbit that I bought in college and I expect reparations.

JP :)

I was in Germany at that time...it just may have been MY FAULT !!!

Jim@BAWS

1redTA
11-15-2009, 03:42 PM
You would think that a person who saves 60k for a boat would have the intelligence to have earned that money, been able to save it and not be a moron to western union it off. I'll sell him my 82S&S for half that much ;-)

coz
11-15-2009, 03:55 PM
What am I missing here?....how is this anyones fault but the a$$wipe that sent the money? If blame falls on anyone other than the dumba$$ then there's a real problem somewhere :confused:

JimN
11-15-2009, 04:11 PM
LOL. Anybody with half a brain and access to a computer should have been immediately tipped off at the magic words "Western Union". That's the prime mechanism of every low-life scammer everywhere in the world.

Too bad people are so often inclined to be so stupid. I know that I could buy a lot of the boats, cars and toys I buy cheaper if I were willing to shop around via the internet, but I'm willing to pay more for the security of knowing I'm dealing with an honest dealer whom I can look in the eye. This customer obviously should have done the same. I wonder if he learned that.

A lot of people may have half a brain but it's often the wrong half, IMO.

Patrick Hardy
11-15-2009, 04:56 PM
As with any transaction since the dawn of time.......Caveat Emptor!!

03 35th Anniversary
11-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I would really like to know how to do this without getting caught!

alletric
11-15-2009, 06:11 PM
How much would it cost to Western Union 60,000. I had to send 400 to someone in a pinch in the middle of the night and it cost me like 50 bucks. Can you imagine walking into the grocery store and looking for the union counter. Filling out the little green form and getting 60,000.

Jim@BAWS
11-15-2009, 06:37 PM
I would really like to know how to do this without getting caught!

Western Union works like this. As long as you have a confimation # you can pick it up anywhere.

A person lives in Florida. Thinks they sent there money to Maine, someone has the right confirmation # and next thing you know someone with the right ID picks it up in Mexico

That is how it works

Jim@BAWS

TallRedRider
11-15-2009, 06:57 PM
I know lawyers are creative these days in shifting blame, but I can't expect that Jim would be held liable for forcing this guy to spend his 60K elsewhere.

I think this happens more than we hear, or the scam would not exist. I would not let the secret out if I did that. Too much pride here. Kind of like my friend did not want to tell me why his truck was in the shop...turned out he accidentally filled with regular...but it was a diesel engine.

Another friend of mine did it with an Ipod they bought on Ebay. The seller said something about their paypal account having been broken into...'I can't get it fixed, can you just send it to me by western union'. They did, and no Ipod came.

flya750
11-15-2009, 08:43 PM
ahh...My bad... Thanks for the geography lesson....;)

Saint Petersburg Russia

Please...learn your geography HA HA HA

St Petersburg Florida

Jim@BAWS

Wacko
11-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Here this looks legit

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/1466918123.html

davomaddo
11-15-2009, 09:27 PM
You can get some awesome deals on the Internet on certain things, but you have to be careful.

With that said, a boat should be driven and inspected prior to purchasing.

Boats, Cars, Hot Tubs, Expensive Appliances - anything that you wouldn't throw away if it breaks - should be purchased by a reputable business that will stand behind and service the product. The extra money up-front will save money down the road.

Jim@BAWS
11-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Lets all EMAIL this person...Just in case it disappears here is the ad

Man that looks JUST LIKE down town Miami to me

This is an awesome wakeboarding boat!!! It is a 2005 MasterCraft X Star Loaded in excellent condition. The motor is a powerful GM Indmar Vortec 8.1 liter. This high output motor puts out over 425 horse power. This Mastercraft is 22' 3" long and loaded with all the right equipment. It has Perfect Pass Pro Edition, 3 Ballast system, Bimini top, Cover, Zero flex fold away tower, Rearview mirror, 2 swivel board holders, an awesome stereo system that rocks, it's a Clarion AM/FM CD player with 2 JL marine Amplifiers, 21 speakers and three areas to control the radio, passenger, driver and rear of boat. Dual batteries, Bow ladder, up front built in cooler, cushion and filler seat, Heater, adjustable hot and cold shower, slime sprayer, Jump seat, Teak swim platform and a custom MasterCraft EZ Load dual axel trailer with brakes and pivot tongue. Boat looks and runs great.
PLEASE CONTACT ME : coleen.marlow44@hotmail.com
Type: Ski/wakeboard
Engine type: Single inboard/outboard
Use: Fresh water
Length: 22.3 feet
Engine make: Chevrolet
Primary fuel type: Gas
Beam: 8.3 feet
Engine model: Indmar Vortex 8.1
Fuel capacity: 51-75 gallons
Hull material: Fiberglass
Trailer: Included

TallRedRider
11-16-2009, 12:16 AM
The price actually says -$5900. So I think that means they will pay me that much to take it.

Very nice looking pine trees.

Chief
11-16-2009, 07:17 AM

This is an awesome wakeboarding boat!!! It is a 2005 MasterCraft X Star Loaded in excellent condition. The motor is a powerful GM Indmar Vortec 8.1 liter. This high output motor puts out over 425 horse power. This Mastercraft is 22' 3" long and loaded with all the right equipment. It has Perfect Pass Pro Edition, 3 Ballast system, Bimini top, Cover, Zero flex fold away tower, Rearview mirror, 2 swivel board holders, an awesome stereo system that rocks, it's a Clarion AM/FM CD player with 2 JL marine Amplifiers, 21 speakers and three areas to control the radio, passenger, driver and rear of boat. Dual batteries, Bow ladder, up front built in cooler, cushion and filler seat, Heater, adjustable hot and cold shower, slime sprayer, Jump seat, Teak swim platform and a custom MasterCraft EZ Load dual axel trailer with brakes and pivot tongue. Boat looks and runs great.

I will post his response. :)

bturner2
11-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Ahhh Michigan in the spring. Oh my mistake that's what Miami looks like in the fall right? Hard to believe people fall of this stuff but I've heard similar stuff that people fall for all the time. We had a relative that fell for wining the lottery in Spain. All she had to do was pay someone $2K to ensure her winnings of $2M. She ended up sending the $2K and that was the last she saw of any money. It really is sad. I wish someone would cane these a$$holes when they catch them.

Prostar19
11-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Here is one online now. I saw a similar one a month ago on a X45 for $28000.

http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/2008-Mastercraft-40th+Anniv+X-Star-96049115

Jim@BAWS
11-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Here is one online now. I saw a similar one a month ago on a X45 for $28000.

http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/2008-Mastercraft-40th+Anniv+X-Star-96049115

312 CHICAGO Area. Asks to leave a VOICEMAIL first thing

Jim@BAWS

Prostar19
11-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Here is what he sent me by email.

From: Scott William Parrish [mailto:parrish.s.w@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:32 PM
To: Prostar19@chartertn.net
Subject: Re: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniv X-Star, $28000

I apologize for the delay, I`ve been very busy for the last couple of days. The boat is in Fairview Heights, IL. I`ve owned it since new and I have the title in hand. The boat has been serviced regularly, garage stored and used only in fresh water. It has 83 hours, no scratches, blemishes, tears, mechanical or electrical problems. The asking price includes the trailer and two covers: a bimini top and a mooring cover.

I`ve uploaded all the pictures here : http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/mc40aniv2008/

For the moment, I am out of state with some business: I own a diner near Seattle, just bought another and the renovation keeps me busy. To sell the boat, I will have to fly home, so let me know if you are seriously interested.

Scott Parrish

Almost identical to the reply I got from the X45 guy

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM, John Rozenboom <rozenboom.j@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry for the delay in my response, I`ve been very busy for the last couple of days. I'm the first and the only owner of the boat, bought it new with cash, so it comes with a clear title.The boat has been very well maintained and serviced, so you will find no damages or repairs to the engine or to the hull. The engine has only 81 hours and the boat has been used ONLY in fresh water.Also, the asking price includes the trailer and the covers.

You can find more pictures here:

http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu7/06mastercraftx45/

The problem is that I am currently out if state with some business. We own a small family restaurant in Bremerton WA and me and my wife are needed here. In order to complete the deal I will have to fly back home, so let me know if you are serious about it.

Thanks,
John Rozenboom

Monte
11-16-2009, 12:06 PM
I cannot understand some people. If I was going to drop 60k on ANYTHING. I am going to see what I am buying FIRST. I am also going to meet the seller face to face. This sounds like a case of a fool and his money. (will quickly be parted) No way can they even come close to pinning this mess on you Jim. What an idiot.

TallRedRider
11-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Funny this came up.

This guy has a Ford Excursion for $3800. They said they would like to get my name and address so that they can start a purchase via Ebay to protect us both. I think I will mess with this one for a while. Maybe I should ask if it is the model with the flux capacitor? Definitely too good to be true. Email address is a gmail account, and the English sounds like it is not quite someone who learned English growing up.

http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/ctd/1465739822.html

steve578
11-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I'll have to dig up the link, but there is a forum dedicated to people messing with the scammers. Some have got the scammer to fly to other countries and wait for their big pay-off's! I'll see if I can find the address later today.

Archimedes
11-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Jim, I think you need some new salespeople. Cmon, you couldn't even sell a boat to a sucker like this?! Your guys should have had him in a new $80,000 X-1 with the full undercoat and scotchguard package and a hundred year extended warranty.

Seriously, what a moron to send money like that. What I'd like to know is how you found out about it? Did this guy come back into your dealership to brag about how he got taken? He shoulda called the cops and then crawled under a rock.

SkiDog
11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
What you should do is get a good picture of this dude and post it on the biggest billboard and title it, 'Boat buying for dummies'!:D

bucky
11-16-2009, 03:17 PM
I get angry at scammers like this, but I get seriously pissed at greedy morons who support them. I don't feel a bit sorry for someone who makes an entire chain of obvious mistakes to put themselves in the ****. Now 50 other people will think they can make easy money this way. Sadly, they probably can.
As for who's at fault, the "victim" better hope I don't make the Jury for the lawsuit.

TallRedRider
11-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Funny this came up.

This guy has a Ford Excursion for $3800. They said they would like to get my name and address so that they can start a purchase via Ebay to protect us both. I think I will mess with this one for a while. Maybe I should ask if it is the model with the flux capacitor? Definitely too good to be true. Email address is a gmail account, and the English sounds like it is not quite someone who learned English growing up.

http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/ctd/1465739822.html

Yup. The Excursion is actually in New York and the seller is in London, and they need my money and they will then ship it to me for free. HAHAHA. If I don't like it, I can send it back for free. Why they are advertising on Craigslist 2500 miles away is not explained.

3event
11-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I can not recall how I ran across this site, but it is full of long stories (NSFW!) detailing how some dedicated individuals with lots of time on their hands mess around with the scammers.

http://www.419eater.com/ < AGAIN , NSFW - not terrible stuff but you should be warned - offensive language etc....

TX.X-30 fan
11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
If it seems too good to be true it probably is?

You should know??????? :D

Jim@BAWS
11-16-2009, 09:25 PM
RESPONSE THIS EVENING

RE: X-Star‏
From: sdfbhdgj ryjkjutkutltu (coleen.marlow44@hotmail.com)
Sent: Mon 11/16/09 8:05 PM
To:
Hello,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing the boat. The boat has been very well maintained, has no damage and is in great condition. The final price is $ 5,900 including delivery to your home address. The price is low because I want to sell the boat very quickly. My husband died in Iraq 3 months ago and I along with my daughter decided to sell the house and we moved to my sister.
If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title. For this transaction I want to use ebay because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way. They will handle the transaction for me. You will make the payment to ebay and they will hold the money until you receive and inspect the boat. Only after you receive the boat and you inspect it (you have 7 days for inspection) ebay will release the payment to me. The inspection time period will begin as soon as you receive the boat at your address. Meanwhile eBay will hold the money into a trust account and you can see the boat before you decide to buy it. This way we are both protected : i will know that i have a serious buyer who has the money to pay me and you will be able to see and inspect the boat before buying it .
If you are really interested in purchasing the boat please send me your full name, delivery address and your phone number. Ebay will give you all the details regarding the shipping and payment.

I will appreciate an answer as soon as possible.

Regards!

Chief
11-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Here is the response I received: Looks real familiar.

Thank you for your interest in purchasing the boat. The boat has been very well maintained, has no damage and is in great condition. The final price is $ 5,900 including delivery to your home address. The price is low because I want to sell the boat very quickly. My husband died in Iraq 3 months ago and I along with my daughter decided to sell the house and we moved to my sister.
If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title. For this transaction I want to use ebay because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way. They will handle the transaction for me. You will make the payment to ebay and they will hold the money until you receive and inspect the boat. Only after you receive the boat and you inspect it (you have 7 days for inspection) ebay will release the payment to me. The inspection time period will begin as soon as you receive the boat at your address. Meanwhile eBay will hold the money into a trust account and you can see the boat before you decide to buy it. This way we are both protected : i will know that i have a serious buyer who has the money to pay me and you will be able to see and inspect the boat before buying it .
If you are really interested in purchasing the boat please send me your full name, delivery address and your phone number. Ebay will give you all the details regarding the shipping and payment.

I will appreciate an answer as soon as possible.

Regards!

[/font]

TallRedRider
11-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Wow! I bet we are messing with the same person, as I just received the same scam about ebay being the safe option for the Excursion I mentioned above. I guess once you take someone for 60K, you spend a lot of time at your computer putting out fake ads trying to catch the next doofus.

MariStar-Man
11-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I guess I'm pretty lucky...I sent $48k for a BMW M5 Worth about $10,000 over sticker ($65k) at the time to a seller in Texas. He then said for me to send it to a Local Texas Dealer as he buys many new cars from that dealer and it would help him with closing costs...So, I called the dealer and the dealer said they would receive the funds and the seller would send the title.

This however, was in the beginning of ebay selling and scams were not as rampant. The car came as described, and I saved like $19,000
I guess I feel that i'm a pretty good judge of character. And I bought my 1999 Maristar after looking at it for 3 minutes....LOL Didn't even start it. Just said how soon can you deliver it.

However, I am stopping this practice, because I can't keep up with all the NEW SCAMS, I'm unable to forsee...

And, " A Man's Got To Know His Limitations.."
Clint Eastwood...

Thrall
11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
04 X10, 264 hrs, $18k
Here's the add:
http://detroit.kijiji.com/c-Cars-vehicles-Boats-2004-Mastercraft-X10-V-Drive-21-W0QQAdIdZ168000936

Here's the response:

Hi,

First, a few words about the boat: it is in excellent condition, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage and the engine runs very good. If you'll decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers: the titles for both boat and trailer, owner’s manuals, maintenance records and a bill of sale. I confirm you the title is clear. The last price is $18,000 including shipping&handling; the price is low because I'm looking for a quick cash sale. I'm selling the boat because my husband died 4 months ago and I'm always traveling for work. The financial part of this transaction will be provided by eBay through their Vehicle Purchase Protection Program. I used the VPP program in the past and all my transaction ended succesfully. I want a fast and safe transaction for both of us, so please let me know if you have the funds available and wish to explain you the payment and shipping process.

I'm gonna mess with 'em a little!
I've already asked about the problematic muffler bearings on this model and the condition of the outdrive!

bturner2
11-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Nice engine - Indmar Assault 350 5.7L V8
Fuel capacity is right on too - 51 - 75 gallons
Bean 711 feet (now that's a wide body boat)

At least the trees are right this time!

mlay
11-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Its not just boats anymore..check out a local police blotter.

Fraud: On Oct. 28, a 79-year-old xxxxxxx woman reported that her 13-year-old granddaughter received a check in the mail for $3,880 from a company with a bank listed in Plano, Texas. The accompanying letter told her to cash the check, then she could keep $300, but return the remainder. But to keep the $300, she was only asked to visit a nearby Walmart and see how clean the store is and see if the cashiers were being nice to customers. Then she was to report her findings to them. The woman said she deposited the check. She waited a few days, called the bank and learned the check had cleared. She then withdrew the money and sent the $3,500 back to the company. Not long afterward, she learned the check was counterfeit and she was being required to repay the $3,880.

Makes you wonder how many of these they send out in mass and how much money they actually make off these scams.

Thrall
11-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Nice engine - Indmar Assault 350 5.7L V8
Fuel capacity is right on too - 51 - 75 gallons
Bean 711 feet (now that's a wide body boat)

At least the trees are right this time!

Here's the emails my buddy and I sent to this person. He went over the top...freakin hilarious!

Mine:
Elizabeth,
Please send me your phone # and directions to your house. Iíd like to come look at the boat Saturday.
Also, a few questions. Is it Perfect Pass Stargazer or PP Wakeboard Pro? Have the muffler bearings been replaced recently as this was a known problem with these boats? Is it a direct drive or V drive?
What prop is on the boat (the dia and pitch are stamped on the prop)?
Thanks,

His:
Elizabeth,

A friend of mine forwarded this ad to me. This sounds like a wonderful deal! I have been looking everywhere for a M/C with the 310 Assault engine, and you seem to be the ONLY one with it! I used to own a boat very similar to this, but had to sell it when my 4th wife died from a freak waterskiing accident. Seems I did not see her when I was turning around to pick her up, and, well you know the rest of the storyÖ

Anyway, I had the same problem with the muffler bearings on my boat. I had to change them 3 times in one season! Itís a good thing the dealer covered them though, as the boat was still under warranty. Once they found the proper bearing application, they never failed again. Have you had the same problem with this boat?

I also have a few more questions if you could kindly answer them:

1) Are there any rips in the vinyl?
2) Is the ballast system in operational condition? Would you be willing to take it out for a discount?
3) If I were to commit to purchasing the boat, would you have the engine painted purple at no extra charge? I donít like the red.
4) Would you take a 3rd party check from out of town upon pickup?
5) Can I have your address and phone number so I can arrange to come and see the boat? I would also want to do a water test for a couple of weeks before I pay you.
6) Do you know if a set of 40Ē spinners would fit under the trailer fender? If not, would you be willing to take off the fenders, put on some mudflaps and give me a discount?
7) Would you get the boat detailed prior to delivery at your cost?
8) Would you be willing to provide a year of free gas and maintenance at no extra charge?

I hope we can make a deal on this boat. I am anxious to hear back as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Jim Rinchensin

scott023
11-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Here's the emails my buddy and I sent to this person. He went over the top...freakin hilarious!

Mine:
Elizabeth,
Please send me your phone # and directions to your house. Iíd like to come look at the boat Saturday.
Also, a few questions. Is it Perfect Pass Stargazer or PP Wakeboard Pro? Have the muffler bearings been replaced recently as this was a known problem with these boats? Is it a direct drive or V drive?
Thanks,

His:
Elizabeth,

A friend of mine forwarded this ad to me. This sounds like a wonderful deal! I have been looking everywhere for a M/C with the 310 Assault engine, and you seem to be the ONLY one with it! I used to own a boat very similar to this, but had to sell it when my 4th wife died from a freak waterskiing accident. Seems I did not see her when I was turning around to pick her up, and, well you know the rest of the storyÖ

Anyway, I had the same problem with the muffler bearings on my boat. I had to change them 3 times in one season! Itís a good thing the dealer covered them though, as the boat was still under warranty. Once they found the proper bearing application, they never failed again. Have you had the same problem with this boat?

2) Is the ballast system in operational condition? Would you be willing to take it out for a discount?
3) If I were to commit to purchasing the boat, would you have the engine painted purple at no extra charge? I donít like the red.
5) Can I have your address and phone number so I can arrange to come and see the boat? I would also want to do a water test for a couple of weeks before I pay you.
6) Do you know if a set of 40Ē spinners would fit under the trailer fender? If not, would you be willing to take off the fenders, put on some mudflaps and give me a discount?
8) Would you be willing to provide a year of free gas and maintenance at no extra charge?

I hope we can make a deal on this boat. I am anxious to hear back as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Jim Rinchensin

Wow. That's going to be an interesting reply, if there is one.:D

Jim@BAWS
11-18-2009, 04:51 PM
CLASSIC !!!

Mine:
Elizabeth,
Thanks,

His:
Elizabeth,

Thanks,

Jim Rinchensin

Thrall
11-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah I don't think she'll be replying to Erik aka Jim Richensen. Might get a bite on mine, then I'll get a little more ridiculous.

Double D
11-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Help me out here I think I missed something... All the ads I see with the colleen.marlow address are for the boat that the dumba$$ spent 60K for?? If so, the ad only states $5,900 so why did the loser send 60 large???

I am sure I missed something.... Probrably a different add....:confused: maybe I should read all 49 posts again....:o

Jim@BAWS
11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Help me out here I think I missed something... All the ads I see with the colleen.marlow address are for the boat that the dumba$$ spent 60K for?? If so, the ad only states $5,900 so why did the loser send 60 large???

I am sure I missed something.... Probrably a different add....:confused: maybe I should read all 49 posts again....:o

You are missing something...totally different

Jim@BAWS

Double D
11-18-2009, 05:52 PM
You are missing something...totally different

Jim@BAWS

Figured that. So we dont know what ad the buttnut read to send his 60K?

Thrall
11-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Actually Erik got the same response as me (below). I sent another email. This isn't as fun as I thought. Don't think the scammers read the responses.:confused:

Elizabeth,
Sorry I did not get back to your sooner, but my dog got an enlarged prostate last night and we had to rush him to the chiropractor. It was a close call, but I think heíll recover fine. Should teach him not to eat my socks!
Delivery of the boat sounds good, as Iím a long way from California (thought you lived in Michigan, oh well) and Iím sure it would be costly to pick it up or have it delivered myself.
Please explain to me how the ebay Vehicle Protection Plan works. Iím kind of new to this stuff. Would think youíd have to sell the boat on ebay to do this. Is this correct?
Iíll admit, Iím a bit nervous about buying a boat sight unseen. Do you have any other pictures of the boat that are close up, more descriptive? Perhaps a picture of yourself skiing behind it or using the sundeck?
Also, does it come with a bimini? And which state is the boat titled in? Need to make sure the title will transfer to my state. Had this problem once before with a yacht that I bought.

Thanks,
Thrall
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:04 PM
To: Thrall Hershberger
Subject: RE: 2004 Mastercraft X10 V-Drive 21'

Thrall,

This was my husband boat and I'm not so good at boats. As I remeber, the perfect pass is Wakeboard Pro and it is a V-drive. I'm a flight attendant and as I said, I'm away most of the time and that's why I will not be able to deal in person. I want to inform you the boat is already deposited at the shipping company in San Marino, CA. I will ship it at my expense and you'll have 5 days for inspection. This transaction is covered by eBay's Vehicle Protection Program up to 50,000 USD and if something goes wrong you will be full refunded. You will transfer the money to ebay through wire transfer (bank to bank transfer) and they will hold it until youíll receive and inspect the boat. The money will be locked into eBay's VPP bank account and they will release the funds to me only with your approval and after the boat is registered under your name. If you want to continue with the deal under these terms, please e-mail me your info (name, address, phone#) so I can forward it to ebay.

Thank you,
Elizabeth

Maybe I shouldn't be using my real name! Oh well, my company's computers got some pretty heavy duty spam/virus blockers.

bturner2
11-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Wait a minute. The boat that's listed in Michigan is now in CA? Nice. No warning flares going off here. I'm sure it will ship right on time.

TallRedRider
11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Wait a minute. The boat that's listed in Michigan is now in CA? Nice. No warning flares going off here. I'm sure it will ship right on time.

Just like the Excursion I was talking about above. The ad is in little St. George, Utah...and the vehicle is in New York.

sand2snow22
11-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Sounds like the seller used Cash Rewards to the fullest. I didn't know the program went up to $60k. Learn something everyday!

About 3 weeks or so we had a customer, LOCAL St Pete, come in and look for a MasterCraft. Well we have some that need homes more than others, After giving the customer the price on a X-Star, he let us know that we where gouging him in the MID 60s, that he could get new one somewhere else for 1000s less. well he did.

He sent $60K via Western Union to an individual in Maryland $60K. He has since called MC with the Hull ID #. It does not exist in the system of course. I don't know what some folks are thinking today. Selling a boat these days is more like rocket science. There is not a POT OF GOLD awaiting a dealer after the boat is SOLD. Are we suposed to sell UNDER dealer cost? We have been told that the FBI is involved.

Of course somehow this will end up being our fault or MCs fault because we did not give the guy the BEST price and he had to shop else where.

There are folks out there that get fooled. I don't know how many emails I get for
"I want to buy your item forsale"

Both buyers and sellers need to BE AWARE. This is the FIRST one that I have heard that finally worked to the tune of $60K

Jim@BAWS