PDA

View Full Version : adding a winch to boat lift

johny123
11-13-2009, 03:37 PM
we finally got a boat lift after much searching.

got a great deal, but we had to earn it.
we drove deep into quebec cottage country/backroad bush on remembrance day (wednesday) ... at times it was scary, tiny windy dirt roads, somewhat reminiscent of deliverance

me, dad and my brother got in 4.5 ft of 40 degree water and dragged the lift out of the lake. we then changed into dry clothes/shoes etc and loaded it up.

here is a link http://www.quais-bertrand-docks.com/index.php?select=78&id=5&language=en&page=1

3000lb capacity. our boat weighs 2650...so kind of close.
upon inspection it looks as though the cable could be replaced with thicker galvanized aircraft cable to raise the capacity. regardless, for the time being we'll be careful to have it empty when raising/lowering.

the question i have is i'd like to add a motor without paying the ridiculous $1000-$1500 msrp.
i'm wondering about possibility/logistics of adding a winch instead... something along the lines of this http://www.superwinch.com/LP8500_8_500_lbs.html

Would anyone be able to comment on feasibility?

yippikaiyay
11-13-2009, 08:26 PM
A friend of mine relayed he was looking at buying a 12V winch, powering it from a car battery, and trickle charging the battery with a small solar panel, with total cost around $400.
Apparently similar solar panels are available from time to time at some of the large hardware stores, eg. Canadian Tire.
I'll check with him to see if he's made any progress on this project....

venetrex
11-13-2009, 09:08 PM
A winch works differently, but I think it will still work, check out EBAY and the vortex winches. I got a 12,000lb with wired and wireless remote for $379 shipped and it has 3/8 cable
A boat davit motor I believe would be a better choice. I'll mcheck on pricing

johny123
11-14-2009, 08:51 AM
thanks guys. one thing i'm not sure about is how to attach the winch cable (with the hook end) into the boat lift cable system.

i guess the first cable in the existing system (from the lift wheel) would just be replaced with the winch cable?

bigmac
11-14-2009, 10:18 AM
I would be inclined to not mess with the winch on a vertical lift. IMHO, simpler is better. These Lift Mates have been around for 20 years. I had one for over a decade and used it on both aluminum vertical and steel cantilever lifts. I ran off a cable from my boat battery - no need to screw around with solar chargers. They come in 110 or 12 volt models, with or without remote. I've seen them as low as $500

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gA6aMANBL._AA400_.jpg

Datdude
11-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Bigmac is right....the Lift Mate is the way to go

johny123
11-15-2009, 09:13 PM
wow, never seen that before - thanks for the idea
bigmac, someone on overtons gave it a negative review saying when wet the wheel just spins and doesn't effectively lift the boat
did you ever have this/any other problem(s)?

how do you handle the 12v to the boat, just running a 12v extension that connects/disconnects everytime you take the boat out?

bigmac
11-15-2009, 09:30 PM
wow, never seen that before - thanks for the idea
bigmac, someone on overtons gave it a negative review saying when wet the wheel just spins and doesn't effectively lift the boat
did you ever have this/any other problem(s)?

how do you handle the 12v to the boat, just running a 12v extension that connects/disconnects everytime you take the boat out?

I never had that issue with the wheel spinning on the crank wheel. If I had ever had that happen, I would have taken some coarse sandpaper to the winch wheel, or maybe put a strip of 3M grip tape along the center of the big wheel. It was never an issue on the painted steel wheel of my old cantilever Shore Station, nor on the smooth aluminum wheel of my Pier Pleasure.

I just connected it to the battery with a long cord (10-gauge wire with a circuit breaker built into it) that was supplied with the unit. I left that cable connected to the battery all the time and it had a heavy-duty winch cable connector, so all I had to do after putting the boat in the water was get in the boat, start it up, and remember to unplug the battery from the winch before backing out. When I put it back in the lift, I just plugged it back in. Absolutely NO effect on the boat battery.

That 20 foot cable with plug comes with the device. The whole thing is about a 10 minute install.

johny123
11-16-2009, 05:57 PM
good to know!
thanks for the help bigmac, i think that's what we'll go with