PDA

View Full Version : 1986 prostar 200 need help!!!

jdubwall
11-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Just picked up this boat a few weeks ago and need some help getting it restored... Last weekend i started by putting a new tongue, tongue lift, winch, and cleaned the hull up which is still in the process... Going to use some zing to get the rest off... Boat is in rough shape but the price couldn't have been better... Looking forward to barefooting behind it in the spring...

Does anyone know where i can get a set of skins for this boat, or even new seats?

Also the dash has a wood grain look to it. I thought it was wood but it looks like its laminated wood.... Any ideas of how to restore the wood look? Would like to keep it original....

Here are some pictures....

Any help would be great!!!!
Thanks again

Rockman
11-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Congrats on the boat! As it may seem like there is alot of work, I am sure with some elbow grease and patience, the boat will look like new!

Skins from MC are probably a needle in a hay stack since the boat is so old. Aftermarket skins or seats would be the best bet. Someone here knows a place for them...I'm sure they'll chime in.

Where are you located? I see your location is North but the tags on the boat arew from Wisconsin.

Ever need someone to help test out the wake (or lack of) on your boat, feel free to shoot me a PM. :D

The older outboards were good for footing...without a doubt.

RM

jdubwall
11-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Thats what I here!!!! I've done alot footin behind a malibu flightcraft and its amazing... Its gonna be fun to see what this boat is like.. Thanks for the input...... Any leads on aftermarket skins lemme know!!!!!

Thanks again

Jim@BAWS
11-13-2009, 03:56 PM
The first thing you need to do is check the HULL ID # That does not look to be an 86. I owned an 86 OB PS 200 like that and it had the SQUARED windshield. I see that it has the 86 graphics. (PUT UP THE HULL ID # ON TEAM TALK)

What you could do is this. If you wanted to change it to RED/WHITE there are some skins forsale here on TEAM TALK. that would probably work. You could redo the graphics on the hull to Red/White. The interior skins are no longer available from MC at all. A good local source would be a local vinyl shop near you

I have the 86 GRAPHICS in what ever color combo that you need. The SKINS are red and white and are FORSALE on TEAM TALK. You might want to take advantage of those ASAP

Good luck with the restoration ! TAKE PHOTOS along the way

Jim@BAWS

Covi
11-13-2009, 05:14 PM
The windshield, dash, and passenger seat do not represent 86' vintage. You got youself a cool boat but is it indeed an 86'? There is someone on here selling skins for those years Jim @ Baws will n\know. I just saw it but now can't find it.

Jim@BAWS
11-13-2009, 06:08 PM
The windshield, dash, and passenger seat do not represent 86' vintage. You got youself a cool boat but is it indeed an 86'? There is someone on here selling skins for those years Jim @ Baws will n\know. I just saw it but now can't find it.

SKINS AVAILABLE

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32661

Jim@BAWS

dmminfla
11-13-2009, 06:25 PM
I have the skins but the observer seat on the 86 skier is 3 pc. the back rest is split to lift up to access the storage under the bow. I am going to try to sell them as a set.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32661

jdubwall
11-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks guys.... Ya the dash is of an older mastercraft and and i didn't think it was an 86 myself, when i went to pick it up, but the owner had the original title from 1986 and the serial number ends in 86.... I did some research on line and it is indead an 86 and odd one thats for sure..... I have all the original paper work from the boat..... The previous owner has owned the boat since 1986.... This boat was originally used in the tommy bartlett show in the summer of 1986 and the previous owner bought it that fall from a local marine and has had it since.....

Covi
11-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Is the boat sitting on the original trailer? I bet it is.

Finnsdad
11-14-2009, 04:59 PM
So you're the one that bought the boat. My friend and I were going to drive down and get it on a Saturday but you got there one day early.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33015

Have fun with it!

jdubwall
11-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice... I saw your posting and the 150 merc goes 45 trimmed... too cold to try footing behind it but i am pretty sure it will hold a footer at 41-42 solid.... its got a 5 fin stainless steel prop on it.... My plan is to sell the 150 because my brother's got a 07 merc optimax (fuel injected) that i'm gonna put on there... got an electric jack plate to go with it too... it should do 55-60 with that motor/jack plate... The only thing is the transom might not be able to handle the torque with the jackplate... We're gonna have his buddy who used to race tunnel V's and is a master mechanic with mercs let us know what he thinks about the transom.... If that fails the 150 is getting an overhaul into a 200 merc.

Does anyone know how to restore the original wood dash????? Lemme know...

AlexAschenbrenner
06-21-2010, 05:48 PM
I am just starting to restore the same boat. Mine is in a little worse condition than this one, so any suggestions or tips you have from your experience with you boat would be a great help. Thanks!