PDA

View Full Version : External Engine Cleaning - what do you do??

bobx1
11-12-2009, 03:42 PM
I just read on a recent thread that the "appearance of the engine had a lot to be deisred" - this was on a used boat for sale. With that in mind, what do most of you guys do and use to keep your engine looking nice?

I started the "Too Anal" thread a few weeks ago so let's discount the guys that take the engine apart to clean it after every trip. I am looking for ideas for a quick clean and overall up-keep and maintenance. For example, do you spray down once or twice a year (maybe more) with WD-40 or Corrosive X? Have you found any cleaning products that may be harmful to the rubber components?

My X1 engine looks good but have never really done anything to it other than hitting it with WD-40 before winter storage. Also, I have never had a fluid leak of any type and it never goes in saltwater so it really never gets unusually dirty.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

bturner2
11-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I too am in fresh water and haven't had a leak (knock on wood). I carefully wipe down the engine with WD40 for winter storage then clean it up in spring. I use 303 on a rag to wipe down the engine once or twice during the summer usually when I'm cleaning out the bilge. That's about it and everyone always comments on how my engine looks like new. I'm sure you could do more but I'd rather be skiing.

flipper
11-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Silicone spray works wonders

Jim@BAWS
11-12-2009, 04:46 PM
The boat would be alot cleaner w/ no stains on the carpet. The other day we uncovered it and low and behold FLIPPER was inside asleep. I really don't know what those stains are from but Flippers DNA was in them....later that day we returned him to the sea. A very unique fun filled day

Jim@BAWS

Thrall
11-12-2009, 05:53 PM
If it was really dirty, I'd hit it with some de greaser and pressure washer if necessry. Both boats have started out pretty clean though. I hose the dust off every year or 2 if theirs any. Then spray the whole thing with Armorall type stuff. Keeps it nice and shiny.
I've heard the 10,000posts about how all the Armorall type vinyl detailers will eat your upholstery/tires whatever up, but my 14 year old boat, I use that silicone shiny stuff (Armorall, etc) all the time and the vinyl looks almost like new, no signs of rot, etc.

Thrall
11-12-2009, 05:55 PM
14 year old motor!

Jim@BAWS
11-12-2009, 06:57 PM
I use that silicone shiny stuff (Armorall, etc) all the time and the vinyl looks almost like new, no signs of rot, etc.

It is all about the altitude

Jim@BAWS

BriEOD
11-12-2009, 08:49 PM
The boat would be alot cleaner w/ no stains on the carpet. The other day we uncovered it and low and behold FLIPPER was inside asleep. I really don't know what those stains are from but Flippers DNA was in them....later that day we returned him to the sea. A very unique fun filled day

Jim@BAWS

Put a black light on it Jim! ;)

Wake2wake
11-12-2009, 09:00 PM
from what i know of armorall it replaces the natural oils in plastics and vinyls with its own. which works great as long as you use it all the time and dont stop. so if you are putting it on all the time, its one of the best out there. but make sure to keep using it. (learned this in my automotive class where a guy from armorall came in to talk to us.)

Thrall
11-13-2009, 02:11 PM
It is all about the altitude

Jim@BAWS

Must be the add'l UV rays keeping everything from dry rotting.:D

bobx1
11-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Flipper - what silicone spray to you use/recommend?

Thrall - that is a beautiful engine. What products do you use/recommend?

W2W - Years ago, I heard Armour All can create issues with rubber. Have tuned into "Myth Busters" each week, hoping to see if they take on the case.

flipper
11-13-2009, 03:17 PM
303 for the seats, and what ever napa has for silicone spray on the shelf. They all seem to work about the same.

flipper
11-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Or you can call BAW's and pay $500 for a unique can of it:D

Jim@BAWS
11-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Or you can call BAW's and pay $500 for a unique can of it:D

Not as UNIQUE as FLIPPER http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEOeTX1LqM

Or at 4 MINUTES in this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfDSZkQvuXU&feature=related

Enjoy

FLIPPER is ALL OVER THE PLACE

Jim@BAWS

venetrex
11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
If it is really dirty purple power works wonders, especially if you use HOT water.