PDA

View Full Version : Removing Panels

stx22
11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Anyone know how to remove the panels next to the dash and observers seat in the walkthrough area?

Boat is a '97 205. I am installing new carpet and wondering how I am going to carpet the couple of inches from the floor to the vinyl in that particular area.

It looks like there are plastic clips holding the "panels" in place, but they also appear to be in there pretty solid and perhaps coated in glue or silicone.

I have seen this area referenced in posts, but did not come across an answer. I will try and post pictures shortly

stx22
11-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Pic 3 shows underneath the dash on driver's side with the carpet pulled back. This is the backside of the walkthrough area and displays two of the "clips" (white dots) that I think I need to remove.

Kingsley X-1
11-12-2009, 07:01 PM
whoa that looks like a PITA. sorry no advice here

stx22
11-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Better pic of "clips"

Miss Rita
11-12-2009, 07:07 PM
It looks like those are pushed through the panel, you may need a special tool to pry them out.

stx22
11-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Area I am wondering how to re carpet.

stx22
11-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I was thinking that I needed to push them out towards the walkway, but didn;t want to hammer on them and puncture the vinyl.

Sodar
11-12-2009, 07:21 PM
The auto parts stores carry those "panel removal" tools. You could probably compress the clips enough with a pair of plyers to get the panel off. Maybe have someone put pressure on the panel while you squeeze the prongs on the clips?

stx22
11-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Am I assuming correctly that they are the same white clips that have a fat circular end on the other side, about the size of a dime or so? Or am I way off base...

Jerseydave
11-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Am I assuming correctly that they are the same white clips that have a fat circular end on the other side, about the size of a dime or so? Or am I way off base...

That's what it looks like to me also. Similar to the clips that hold some door panels on cars.
I assume you want to re-use those clips since the other end (head) is under the vinyl.
Try spraying them with bindings lube and a light tap with a hammer?

The door panel removal tools only work when the clips are near the edge of the panel. I use to sell them (MAC tool #UT3 and UT4, also plier type BT326 i think)

Jerseydave
11-12-2009, 07:44 PM
http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-318560-bt326.aspx

Yep, BT326........it's been 6 years but I still remember some of the tool numbers! :D

stx22
11-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks NJSkier. I tried the light tap with a hammer already and nothing was budging. It almost looks as though they are sealed from the back side as well, but that is probably just residual carpet glue.

Which brings me to my real question. Anyone replaced the carpet in the area on a boat of this era? It is clearly one piece and to do it properly, it appears as though the panel has to come out.

Mag_Red
11-12-2009, 08:49 PM
http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-318560-bt326.aspx

Yep, BT326........it's been 6 years but I still remember some of the tool numbers! :D:eek:$37.00 for a pair of pliers...........That must have been the US government price

bturner2
11-13-2009, 07:57 AM
I've removed these before when I installed a tower on my 200VRS by cutting them off flush on the back side then pushing them through. After doing about three of them I got a bit more creative and used a heat gun to carefully heat them up a bit to make them more pliable then pushed them through. I had to do these a bit at a time to make the entire panel moved out. It was a PITA but I did get the panels out. The key here is to make sure you can get new ones from somewhere like the dealer before removing.

If you try moosing them out you'll stand a good chance of tearing up the panel. Be careful with any of the pry tools as you may crack or spider the gel coat.

cmw
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure if this will make sense, but when I did it, I worked from the edges in. I took a large flat screw driver or putty knife and pressed on the pointed part of the fastener and worked my hand in between the wall and the panel and pulled it apart. Get a finger on either side of the fastener and pry. You have to be careful, they seem to get brittle over time. Good luck, it can be done, just be patient.

stx22
11-13-2009, 03:16 PM
I've removed these before when I installed a tower on my 200VRS by cutting them off flush on the back side then pushing them through. After doing about three of them I got a bit more creative and used a heat gun to carefully heat them up a bit to make them more pliable then pushed them through. I had to do these a bit at a time to make the entire panel moved out. It was a PITA but I did get the panels out. The key here is to make sure you can get new ones from somewhere like the dealer before removing.

If you try moosing them out you'll stand a good chance of tearing up the panel. Be careful with any of the pry tools as you may crack or spider the gel coat.

Where did you find new ones? I'd imagine I might be able to find them at an upholstery shop or some similar place but unfortunately, we don't seem to have any of those operations around here. Struck out with the local dealer.

bturner2
11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
I got mine from a dealer, I'm My MasterCraft could get them.