PDA

View Full Version : Tonsillectomy

bcampbe7
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Who has had a child go through this surgery?

What age were they when they had the surgery?

How much did they weigh?

Any complications?

Our oldest son is just over 3 and weighs 29lbs. He is fairly small for his age which is concerning for a surgery such as this.

We took him to an ENT because of some breathing issues while sleeping. He does have rather large tonsils that seem to be causing his breathing issues while sleeping. This particular ENT suggested that his tonsils and adenoids be removed. The ENT we should do it now, but didn't explain why he felt that the surgery needed to be done now.

We are going for a second opinion in a few weeks, but wanted to know what others have dealt with.

I do think that he needs his tonsils and adenoids removed, however I don't feel that it needs to be done now. He does snore fairly heavily but his O2 Sat never drops below 96%. I don't feel that the benefits outweigh the risks at this point. My main concern is with hemorhaging after we get home. We are 1-1.5 hours from the hospital that would be able to handle such a situation.

Monte
11-11-2009, 11:12 AM
We had Trey's tonsils and adenoids removed at age 3. He is now 10. Not sure how much he weighed, but he was probably pretty close to the 29 lbs. He didn't really have any negative side effects to speak of. It made a world of difference for him.

If you feel uncomfortable staying so far away from the hospital I would recommend staying in a nice hotel in the same city for a night or two.

Maristar210
11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Beau,

That sounds pretty typical but our resident from the land of Favre can confirm...

BriEOD
11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Keep my fingers crossed for him Beau.

Thrall
11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Our oldest, 6 now, had his out at age 3 or 4 and he's pretty skinny, couldn't have been over 30lbs then.
Had the bad snoring, but more importantly, couldn't swallow hardly anything that wasn't mush.
Helped him out on both accords. Sucked hearinghim cry/scream so much after the surgery, but he says he doesn't remember it now.

east tx skier
11-11-2009, 02:18 PM
My wife had it as a child, but both of ours still have the tonsils. We'll be thinking about you guys. Hope he's feeling better.

bcampbe7
11-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the well wishes...

I had my tonsils removed when I was 4-5 and only remember eating ice cream and playing Pac-Man while in the hospital. I don't remember anything about coming home and having a sore throat, etc.

My only real concern is the potential for post operative bleeding and being so far from a hospital. Someone his size would not survive the transport if bleeding bad enough. I have found that there are a few different techniques, 2 of which greatly reduce the possibility of post operative bleeding. I will bring these techniques up with the ENT at our next appointment.

norris_ps205
11-11-2009, 02:48 PM
When our son Joe was 4, he had emergency surgery to remove his tonsils, adenoids, and a large abcess that had formed in his throat. Took them a while to figure out what was going on and finally an MRI showed the abcess. By that time, it had infected everything, including ears and sinuses. Surgery went fine, and he was back up and running around in no time. Never had any complications from any of it.

TX.X-30 fan
11-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I still have mine and I swear they stop bugs and stuff and keep me from getting sick or getting real sick. I thought the idea now was to keep them if at all feasible, when I was young most all the docs yanked them. Mine had a different idea though and left mine even after repeated tonsillitis.

Good luck with the little juan Beau.

ProStar200
11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Our family doctor recommended we have our daughters adenoids and tonsils removed. I think it was around grade 5. I think she was about eight or nine when she had the surgery. She had problems breathing and most of all while sleeping. She would wake up many times throughout the night. It made a huge difference for her. I would recommend it. Good luck.

flipper
11-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Who has had a child go through this surgery?

What age were they when they had the surgery?

How much did they weigh?

Any complications?

Our oldest son is just over 3 and weighs 29lbs. He is fairly small for his age which is concerning for a surgery such as this.

We took him to an ENT because of some breathing issues while sleeping. He does have rather large tonsils that seem to be causing his breathing issues while sleeping. This particular ENT suggested that his tonsils and adenoids be removed. The ENT we should do it now, but didn't explain why he felt that the surgery needed to be done now.

We are going for a second opinion in a few weeks, but wanted to know what others have dealt with.

I do think that he needs his tonsils and adenoids removed, however I don't feel that it needs to be done now. He does snore fairly heavily but his O2 Sat never drops below 96%. I don't feel that the benefits outweigh the risks at this point. My main concern is with hemorhaging after we get home. We are 1-1.5 hours from the hospital that would be able to handle such a situation.

A family friends daughter had it done about the same age. She sounded like she couldn't hardly breath when she was sleeping. It was almost scary listening to her sleep. She came out of it just fine with no problems, and sleeps much better now.

Either way you decide, best wishes