PDA

View Full Version : Are grille lights on the tower illegal?

bobx1
11-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Looks like a very nice product.

Out of idle curiosity and a slight thread jack, are these legal where you boat (on while underway in the dark)?

On our home lake, you will get a ticket for having any lights on that are not Naviagtion. They pull over party-barges with rope lights (visible from the outside of the boat), docking lights, etc.

We had a couple of people die earlier in the summer when one boat hit another at dark and also had a bass boat plow into a party barge at night so the water police are very strict now with lights (and cant say I blame them).

Sorry for the jack and again, nice product.

TallRedRider
11-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Looks like a very nice product.

Out of idle curiosity and a slight thread jack, are these legal where you boat (on while underway in the dark)?

On our home lake, you will get a ticket for having any lights on that are not Naviagtion. They pull over party-barges with rope lights (visible from the outside of the boat), docking lights, etc.

We had a couple of people die earlier in the summer when one boat hit another at dark and also had a bass boat plow into a party barge at night so the water police are very strict now with lights (and cant say I blame them).

Sorry for the jack and again, nice product.

I have heard of people get into trouble with the color of the lights as well, as that in some places they say it is illegal to have any red or blue on the tower unless you are a water cop.

I think they look awesome. Just wish it wouldn't be 300 bones to get all 3 pair in my boat outfitted.

corey
11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
In terms of legality each state will have its own set of laws governing this. In MN there are rules regarding proper Nav lights which must be used from sunset to sunrise. The state guide does not specifically spell out the use of non-navigation lights so I am unsure what the legality is on that. Some local waterways have their own set of on water laws in which case you would need to contact the local sheriff to find out this answer (for example skiing without a spotter is legal in MN but not on certain lakes such as Minnetonka)

In any event I think your question is in relation to the tower mounts. I would guess that the interior speaker L.E.D.'s would be considered courtesy lights but again check with your local authorities on that.

woftam
11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
If they are mounted inside a cabin or outside a cabin and are not visible to other boats on the water, then they are legal. (courtesy lights)

If they are mounted in the cans of tower mounted speakers, then they are both a menace to navigation and are illegal.

They'd be fine for use on a private lake, but that's about it.

edit: USCG has published regultions for navigational lights for both inland waterways and coastal waterways. These don't pass muster for either if tower mounted.

edit II: you could also use them legally on public waterways in conjunction with a parade permit. (holiday light parade)

Justjoe
11-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Menace......

woftam
11-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Menace......

Yes. Menace. If you use these on public waterways and they are a factor in a collision, then enjoy the fines, possible criminal charges, and the inevitable lawsuit(s), complete with expensive legal bills, wasted time, and general aggravation. For the sake of vanity, they don't sound smart, but that's just me. ;)

Justjoe
11-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Yep. A little heavy handed and fatalistic too. But, then again... that's just me thinkin.

Sodar
11-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Yep. A little heavy handed and fatalistic too. But, then again... that's just me thinkin.

No kidding! Is this guy from the Darkside or something?

woftam
11-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Nope. That was the lite (light) version. If someone is killed or permanently injured as a result of the hypothetical collision, then ramp up the consequences 100 fold.

Navigation lights are a primary means of boats communicating their respective positions, size, direction of travel, the possibility of a boat in tow, and right of way responsibilities when operating at night. There are very specific regulations wrt navigational lights so that each operator can accurately assess the situation at hand and make sound decisions regarding course and right of way considerations. Why the fascination with screwing that system up and endangering fellow boaters?

woftam
11-10-2009, 02:52 PM
No kidding! Is this guy from the Darkside or something?

So, LED can lights are worth gambling your boat, house, or anything else you might own?
With a very few specific exceptions where they might be legal to use, they are a stupid idea, especially if you have any familiarity with nighttime navigation.

Sodar
11-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Lighten up! Go read some more USCG regulations so you can continue to regurgitate them to us while on your soap box.

P.S.- I have extreme familiarity with navigation at night. 4 glowing rings around a speaker on a tower are not going to cause an accident.

P.S.S.- Nice job jacking this thread for corey!

Justjoe
11-10-2009, 03:18 PM
So I guess my disco ball with lazer showers (like a million stars), strobe light (so it looks like your moving in SLOW MOTION.... How cool it THAT!!!!!), and Smoke machine isn't you're style.

woftam
11-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Lighten up! Go read some more USCG regulations so you can continue to regurgitate them to us while on your soap box.

P.S.- I have extreme familiarity with navigation at night. 4 glowing rings around a speaker on a tower are not going to cause an accident.

Given how casually you regard improper use of lights for night navigation, I’d have to tend to doubt your statement on the subject.
Point out to me where I wrote anything factually false.
I backed up my posts with facts.
The most substantial response from the other point of view was ~”Nice looking product.” and "Nice job jacking this thread for corey!"
The manufacturer/retailer isn’t doing anyone but him/herself a favor here.
It’s a bad product ripe for misuse.
To paraphrase a parody of Johnny Cochrane on Saturday Night Live, “look at the pretty lights, look at the pretty lights”.

Justjoe
11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I think that the idea of having lights on the outside of a boat places you in a position of EXTREME RISK. As we all know, bugs are mysteriously attracted to light, and apparently so are other boats.

I know, for me, when I see a light on the water I tend to steer toward it.

Whatever you do, don't use a flashlight while on a boat.... you're doomed for sure. Not to mention what happens to the poor sap that lights a lighter or presses that button on their casio watch that shows you what time it is.

TallRedRider
11-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Yes. Menace. If you use these on public waterways and they are a factor in a collision, then enjoy the fines, possible criminal charges, and the inevitable lawsuit(s), complete with expensive legal bills, wasted time, and general aggravation. For the sake of vanity, they don't sound smart, but that's just me. ;)

I would dare say that the vast majority of inland waterway nighttime accidents are caused by lack of lights, not wrong lights or too many of the wrong color. The other factor involved is almost always alcohol.

I mentioned it first, that I have heard of guys getting tickets for this type of thing, although I hardly believe it to be a factor in accidents. I would challenge anyone to find a case of an accident at night blamed on tower LED's like this. Unless they are so bright that they stop the driver from seeing anyone else.

scott023
11-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Given how casually you regard improper use of lights for night navigation, I’d have to tend to doubt your statement on the subject.
The most substantial response from the other point of view was ~”Nice looking product.” and "Nice job jacking this thread for corey!"
To paraphrase a parody of Johnny Cochrane on Saturday Night Live, “look at the pretty lights, look at the pretty lights”.

Holy lick... there are plenty of people on here that will be interested in this product. No need for you to pipe in negatively. You may be one of the few people that don't "bend" rules sometimes, if you are, good for you. Unlike Justjoe, most of us tend to steer away from lights when on the water at night.

Sodar
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Joe...

Rule 134b Section 12.1.1 Line 3 clearly states that the use of illuminated watches is not allowed while underway. If watches are used, it creates a dangerous situation and put all occupants at risk for injury or death.

Just sayin'!

scott023
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
I would dare say that the vast majority of inland waterway nighttime accidents are caused by lack of lights, not wrong lights or too many of the wrong color. The other factor involved is almost always alcohol.

I mentioned it first, that I have heard of guys getting tickets for this type of thing, although I hardly believe it to be a factor in accidents. I would challenge anyone to find a case of an accident at night blamed on tower LED's like this. Unless they are so bright that they stop the driver from seeing anyone else.

Well said sir.

Justjoe
11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
The strobe lights ARE cool as crap. Especially if there are ALOT of people around... it's like ZOMBIE TOWN!!! (but on the water)

bobx1
11-10-2009, 03:54 PM

I apologized for the thread jack when I first asked the question and will apologize again. As I said, IT IS A NICE PRODUCT and do not want to take any thing away from that. I had a question about laws in other states. After being pulled over late this summer (around 4pm and the sun was shining bright) for a general safety and registration check, the officer said that I need to make sure I remove my wakeboard rope and handle from the anchor light on my tower because it could obsure the view of the light from other boaters at night. He then proceeded to tell me that since 3 people are dead and one is facing prison time and a huge civil lawsuit, they are cracking down on all lights (be them docking lights, rope lights, etc.). Seems the families of the victims claim their nav lights were on but the accused claims the lights were not on or not visible.

The following movie is a kind of interesting graphical presentation of what I THINK are general guidelines for most US waterways (possibly all waterways):

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/060199tip5.htm

I thought the product was cool and thought it may be an interesting addition but got to thinking about my talk with the officer and was curious if I could get into trouble with those on my boat (lit up while underway at night) - which is why I asked the question.

flipper
11-10-2009, 04:00 PM

I'm guessing you didn't read the part that says "Switch". As in on/off....as in you can turn them off to navigate at night. Go copy and paste some more

corey
11-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Wow, didnt think L.E.D. speaker rings would cause such a controversy. I would say its safe to say that while underway these are not legal, use at your own risk.

That being said, even if they are not legal underway the cool factor when docked at your favorite watering hole, on your trailer, in a parade, in a boat show or on your private lake is still pretty high.

scott023
11-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Wow, didnt think L.E.D. speaker rings would cause such a controversy. I would say its safe to say that while underway these are not legal, use at your own risk.

That being said, even if they are not legal underway the cool factor when docked at your favorite watering hole, on your trailer, in a parade, in a boat show or on your private lake is still pretty high.

No doubt Corey... they look great.

JohnE
11-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Agreed, they look great.

Especially when I was drunk and surfing around midnight last CSM behind a nice red X2. Thank god the blueflake X2 trailing us had some docking lights so I could find my board after a few falls. Plus if not for those docking lights, he might have run me over a few times.

Where's that ROTF smiley?

JohnE
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I bet Aremsing wishes he had some tower led's last year.

woftam
11-10-2009, 04:26 PM

I can agree with that, or at least agree not to disagree.

Monte
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
I bet Aremsing wishes he had some tower led's last year.

Nah:rolleyes: He has a new boat and nobody was SERIOUSLY injured:rolleyes: On second thought. He could have possibly stayed the entire weekend had he had a simple set of LED's..

woftam
11-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm guessing you didn't read the part that says "Switch". As in on/off....as in you can turn them off to navigate at night. Go copy and paste some more
I didn’t regurgitate any regulations. I did point out they exist and under what authority. I did not cut and paste anything. Recheck the posts if you like.
Yes, they can be switched on or off. I pointed out some of the limited circumstances where it would be legal to have them switched on. Corey’s latest post seems to concur.
Others here have posted on this thread where they did/will/might have them switched on illegally.
What’s your point?

woftam
11-10-2009, 04:53 PM

The likelihood of getting a ticket is fairly low, unless you are involved in a collision and that will be after the fact. These ring lights won’t draw a lot of marine enforcement attention during the day as they are hard to see mounted in the cans and there is relatively little marine enforcement during nighttime hours to bust you, so you’d be unlucky if it happened..

I don’t have any experience with tower lights specifically being a factor in a collision. However, I’ve assisted in cleaning up the mess when other categories of improper use of navigation lights has been a direct factor in collisions during nighttime operation. One of those resulted in serious injuries and the loss of limbs. The operator of one of the runabouts involved had replaced the lightbulb in his bow light. When he did so, he apparently reversed the red and green lenses. Most, if not all bow lights are now manufactured so that is not possible, but it was not always the case. I helped retrieve the severed leg of one of the guys involved ~18 hours after the collision. It wasn[t pretty.

Nighttime collisions due to improper navigation light display isn’t all that rare. I’d just guess there are even more numerous close calls. YMMV.

EarlyriserX9
11-10-2009, 04:56 PM
:popcorn:Agreed, they look great.

Especially when I was drunk and surfing around midnight last CSM behind a nice red X2. Thank god the blueflake X2 trailing us had some docking lights so I could find my board after a few falls. Plus if not for those docking lights, he might have run me over a few times.

:popcorn: I agree with JohnE

woftam
11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I think the lights are a waste of money and make you look like a total douche bag. They will be a big hit with the guys with the stripper poles, 10,000watt stereos and teak lights. However, to each his own. I don't think that these lights could possibly cause an accident . You would have to be a complete bafoon to crash into a boat that had them on at night. The friggin boat would be easier to see for god's sake!
That’s quite an endorsement (stripper pole) coming from someone from Reno. ;)

scott023
11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Agreed, they look great.

John, have you seen these in person?

scott023
11-10-2009, 05:20 PM
I think the lights are a waste of money and make you look like a total douche bag. They will be a big hit with the guys with the stripper poles, 10,000watt stereos and teak lights. However, to each his own. I don't think that these lights could possibly cause an accident . You would have to be a complete bafoon to crash into a boat that had them on at night. The friggin boat would be easier to see for god's sake!

Making a big splash with your second post... :rolleyes:

scott023
11-10-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry, just my opinion. But that shouldn't matter, you can do whatever you want to your boat. You paid for it , not me.

Good thing we don't all come on here and voice our negative opinions... the place would be a disastor.

HMF007
11-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I have LED's on my xstar and the underwater lights. I don't think they are illegal, but if nothing else you can always leave them on when the boat is parked at a restaurant on the lake. People are amazed when they see the underwater lights.

Crusty
11-10-2009, 06:58 PM
What are you the Fun Police!

I am going to guess that those that don't like cool products like these are also the ones who are pulling tubes behind their inboards and waiting for the other guy to get into the water to take their set just before tubing in circles around them while coming way too close to them so they can get the big waves!

Think about this are you that guy?

That is all!

Justjoe
11-10-2009, 07:09 PM
So, is my fog machine illegal?? Does it make me a Douche Bag??

How much weight can I put in one of these Douche Bags (by the way). As you know, every little bit helps.

SkiDog
11-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I have to agree that MORE lighting would be safer than LESS lighting. I think that water cops that give out tickets for lighting such as rope or decorative lighting, should lighten up! (no pun intended). As for the LED's, I would venture to say that if they are burning constantly, there shouldn't be a law against it, however if they are BLINKING, then yea, that IS, and should be, against the law.

TX.X-30 fan
11-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Nope. That was the lite (light) version. If someone is killed or permanently injured as a result of the hypothetical collision, then ramp up the consequences 100 fold.

Navigation lights are a primary means of boats communicating their respective positions, size, direction of travel, the possibility of a boat in tow, and right of way responsibilities when operating at night. There are very specific regulations wrt navigational lights so that each operator can accurately assess the situation at hand and make sound decisions regarding course and right of way considerations. Why the fascination with screwing that system up and endangering fellow boaters?

So, LED can lights are worth gambling your boat, house, or anything else you might own?
With a very few specific exceptions where they might be legal to use, they are a stupid idea, especially if you have any familiarity with nighttime navigation.

Cloaked is that you????????????????? :D:D

woftam
11-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Corey already stipulated these are not legal underway:
“Wow, didnt think L.E.D. speaker rings would cause such a controversy. I would say its safe to say that while underway these are not legal, use at your own risk.
That being said, even if they are not legal underway the cool factor when docked at your favorite watering hole, on your trailer, in a parade, in a boat show or on your private lake is still pretty high.”

HMF007,
Tower mounted LED’s are illegal underway.

Crusty,
It’s not about fun police. They are just not legal underway. Corey says use at your own risk.

Justjoe,
The douche bag thing is between you and the new poster from Reno.

SkiDog,
More lights might be safer? However, they are still illegal underway.
I’m sure you can petition the Coast Guard and they’ll change the regs for you pronto. It won’t be a problem getting all of the other nations that have standardized navigational light requirements for efficient international travel, commerce, and recreation to change the regs to suit the few who would like to light up their tower cans in opposition to the current regs. I’m sure it will be a quick fix for you.

drylandfish
11-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Do cruise ships get fined for having so many lights on at night? I mean think of all the lives that are endangered every night because they resemble a floating Christmas tree.

cbryan70
11-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Do cruise ships get fined for having so many lights on at night? I mean think of all the lives that are endangered every night because they resemble a floating Christmas tree.

This is an interesting point.......

woftam
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Cruise ships come in several shapes and many sizes. Do you know the regs that apply to cruise ships? 99% +/- of cruise ship captains/officers do and they know why they are allowed to display certain lights and when. YMMV.

Monte
11-10-2009, 08:06 PM
“Wow, didnt think L.E.D. speaker rings would cause such a controversy. I would say its safe to say that while underway these are not legal, use at your own risk.
That being said, even if they are not legal underway the cool factor when docked at your favorite watering hole, on your trailer, in a parade, in a boat show or on your private lake is still pretty high.”

HMF007,

Crusty,
It’s not about fun police. They are just not legal underway. Corey says use at your own risk.

Justjoe,

SkiDog,
I’m sure you can petition the Coast Guard and they’ll change the regs for you pronto. It won’t be a problem getting all of the other nations that have standardized navigational light requirements for efficient international travel, commerce, and recreation to change the regs to suit the few who would like to light up their tower cans in opposition to the current regs. I’m sure it will be a quick fix for you.

Lord have mercy man!!

I would hate to see you get worked up on something important. They are little lights on the back of your tower. They are OBVIOUSLY illegal to operate underway as you have stated several times over. You have warned these heathens.. if they screw up and get a ticket... We will beat them with a tire iron.. Feel better:rolleyes:

scott023
11-10-2009, 08:32 PM

HMF007,

Crusty,

Justjoe,

SkiDog,

Cripes man, take a chill pill. If you don't like the idea, or don't support thier use, that's your prerogative. Pretty sure you don't need to keep voicing your thoughts on this thread.

woftam
11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Cripes man, take a chill pill. If you don't like the idea, or don't support thier use, that's your prerogative. Pretty sure you don't need to keep voicing your thoughts on this thread.

Cripes man, take your own advise and down a chill pill for yourself.
The question was are they illegal.
The answer is that they are while underway, with a limited number of exceptions.
If other posters are going to feel free to rant on about how they might be safer or that they should be legal, or attempt to change the subject to cruise ships, then I'm going to feel free to remind you/them that they're not legal for use while underway (or at anchor for that matter).
I'll add that I'm surprised a MasterCraft dealer would sell this kind of product. Corey has stipulated it is not legal for use while underway and buyers should use it at their own risk.
The problem I have with that is sale of the product by a MasterCraft dealer confers a certain air of legitimacy.
If you want a litmus test, see if they will install the product for you. I doubt they will. Too much liability attaches. Buyers should be aware of that before they make a decision to purchase, or not. ;)

TX.X-30 fan
11-10-2009, 09:00 PM

I'm safe here in texas cause we is all dumb including the water cops. :D

woftam
11-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Lord have mercy man!!

I would hate to see you get worked up on something important. They are little lights on the back of your tower. They are OBVIOUSLY illegal to operate underway as you have stated several times over. You have warned these heathens.. if they screw up and get a ticket... We will beat them with a tire iron.. Feel better:rolleyes:

No mercy, but no tire iron either. I try not to be a violent person. ;)

edit: No worries. One of the moderators seems to have removed the original post and ~a dozen that followed. (Thread titled~: L.E.D. Tower Lights) It's gone as far as I can tell. Doesn't show up in a search. This one may not be far behind?

Witness140
11-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I'll add that I'm surprised a MasterCraft dealer would sell this kind of product.

Well Mastercraft supplies rear facing hyperlight bars and docking lights straight from the factory. Also not ideal for operation underway. I have fancy stickers all over my boat about CO emissions, but not one warning me about using those lights underway at night, or using the rear facing hyperlight bar for evening watersports where it isn't allowed.

:)

woftam
11-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Well Mastercraft supplies rear facing hyperlight bars and docking lights straight from the factory. Also not ideal for operation underway. I have fancy stickers all over my boat about CO emissions, but not one warning me about using those lights underway at night, or using the rear facing hyperlight bar for evening watersports where it isn't allowed.

:)

Docking lights are for docking. If they've documented that, then they are probably satisfied that they're covered. Might be the same for the rear facing hyperlight bars? I'd be surprised, but they have legal advise and industry standards to go by. If their legal department/advisors are okay with them, then that's how it is.

OTOH, the tower mounted grill lights in question are not OEM. That may make a difference?

edit: It's been pointed out that I've had my say. Sounds right and I think I'm done with this thread. Other posters that avoid provoking me to renew posting on this thread are appreciated.

scott023
11-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Cripes man, take your own advise and down a chill pill for yourself.
The question was are they illegal.
The answer is that they are while underway, with a limited number of exceptions.
If other posters are going to feel free to rant on about how they might be safer or that they should be legal, or attempt to change the subject to cruise ships, then I'm going to feel free to remind you/them that they're not legal for use while underway (or at anchor for that matter).
I'll add that I'm surprised a MasterCraft dealer would sell this kind of product. Corey has stipulated it is not legal for use while underway and buyers should use it at their own risk.
The problem I have with that is sale of the product by a MasterCraft dealer confers a certain air of legitimacy.
If you want a litmus test, see if they will install the product for you. I doubt they will. Too much liability attaches. Buyers should be aware of that before they make a decision to purchase, or not. ;)

I fail to see where I've gotten worked up in this thread. I think you've thoroughly established that these are not legal, so I'm not questioning that. But I do know that a lot of people bend rules to be a little different with items like this, and I personally don't think it's a big deal.

HMF007
11-10-2009, 09:39 PM
I have four lights on the front of my tower speakers from the factory. I flipped them on to see a no wake buoy so I didn't hit it and the 5.0 stopped me immediately. After doing the safety check he asked if I knew why he stopped me and I said yes because of my lights. No biggie and he let me on my way. Are the under water light illegal when you're underway? I have the S800's and they are super bright. For some reason my boat attracts the 5.0...I think it's all the girls.

Eagle Lake Rebel
11-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Wow six pages on LED lights.....it must be almost winter time. Can't we all just get along? Down here in the sunny south if you are out at night it is best to keep as many lights off as possible to keep the flying blood suckers from eating you alive. Peace out.

bbymgr
11-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Maybe we should discuss the rising price of oil now.??????:rolleyes::rolleyes: