PDA

View Full Version : Waht size board for my wife?

Thrall
11-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Searched a few pages, nothing came up.
Getting my wife (beginner) her own board. What size board is best for her to learn/progress on. She can get up and ride fine on the old 136 boat board and a friend's 134, but I see women's boards from 121 up to 137 138. I started out on the 136 boat board and rode it fine even though I'm on a 143 now.
She's 5'-3", 140lbs (I never said how much she weighed!:D)

Answer is????

Maristar210
11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I would guess 134-136 would be best but thats only based upon memeory and you know who long that is :D

etduc
11-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Searched a few pages, nothing came up.
Getting my wife (beginner) her own board. What size board is best for her to learn/progress on. She can get up and ride fine on the old 136 boat board and a friend's 134, but I see women's boards from 121 up to 137 138. I started out on the 136 boat board and rode it fine even though I'm on a 143 now.
She's 5'-3", 140lbs (I never said how much she weighed!:D)

Answer is????

I have a lightly used one, for sale, I believe it's a 132.

Jerseydave
11-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Some boards are wider than others, so for those she could go a little shorter. But for the most part, a 134 seems like a good choice to me. Longer boards have more pop and land softer, but they don't spin as easy as a shorter board. Unless she will be doing 360's right away, I'd steer clear of shorter boards.

Continuous rocker is more rider friendly for beginners, while 3-stage is more for advanced riders. That said, don't waste money on a real basic beginner board that she can't progress on, go with something intermediate. Your local board shop would be a good place to start, you should pick their brain. If she can demo a few boards, that's even better.

Thrall
11-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the help. I was leaning towards a 134 and definately a continuous rocker. FWIW I don't think she'll ever be doing 360s, but I plan on getting her a decent board.

Having ridden on many different boards from old non name somethin or others with rubber bindings to Hyperlite parks, I believe (and this is coming from someone who's not that good, as in inverts only happen accidentally:D) it's not that much about the board at our stages of the game....although I do really like a 3 stage rocker much better than a continuous rocker.

Only local board shop sells snowboards and there's a ton of them around here!

Thrall
11-10-2009, 07:32 PM
I have a lightly used one, for sale, I believe it's a 132.

Thanks for the offer. I'm all about buying used, but this is for her b-day, so I'm steppin' up and goin' brand spankin' new!

vision
11-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I purchased a board for my wife last year. I would say there are 3 main factors. First and foremost is looks. The second was comfort of the bindings. Lastly, ease of riding. I agree with njskier that you are better off getting a mid level or better board. A modified 3 stage will ride close to a continuous rocker.

She rode my sons LF Witness and really liked it with the fins in. So I bought her a LF Jett 132 and I highly recommend the LF Prima (women's version of the Vantage) binding. If you do go LF, my wife wears an women's 7-8 shoe, but the 7-8 LF women's bindings were significant too small. So go large if you go with a LF binding.

etduc
11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the offer. I'm all about buying used, but this is for her b-day, so I'm steppin' up and goin' brand spankin' new!

Totally understand. (Been there.)

Monte
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Just make absolutly sure she doesn't want a curio cabinet:o:)

mayo93prostar
11-11-2009, 01:46 PM
call some of the vendors and get their recommendations too. plus they can tell you what they got in stock that you may be able to get deal on. I have had real good advice and service from Wileys "www.wileyski.com" and the ride at "ridewatersports.com".

Thrall
11-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Just make absolutly sure she doesn't want a curio cabinet:o:)

Hahahahaha! She's got one already...inherited, didn't have to buy one!

Ended up ordering her a LF Angel 134 Maven and Gator Coupe Bindings. Colors matched!