PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Speeds?

jwroblew
11-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Pulled the boat out yesterday, and getting ready to clean it. What speeds do you recomend for the following products? and what pads, wool for #1 and #2 and foam for #3?

1.) 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound?

2.) 3M Finesse-it II?

3.) Paste Wax (I probably will use a random orbital for this)

sand2snow22
11-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a wool pad for the rubbing compound that cuts well. A different one, I want to say synthetic for the Finesse it II. Not sure what bugger you have, but for compound I leave mine around speeds 2. For polish I speed up to 3+.

jwroblew
11-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Any idea what RPM speed "2" equates to?

Jesus_Freak
11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Pulled the boat out yesterday, and getting ready to clean it. What speeds do you recomend for the following products? and what pads, wool for #1 and #2 and foam for #3?

1.) 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound?

2.) 3M Finesse-it II?

3.) Paste Wax (I probably will use a random orbital for this)

I have had excellent gelcoat results applying the first two products with a wool pad on a Milwaukee 7" sander/grinder at full speed. I will need to look up the exact model information at home to figure out what that speed is.

TRBenj
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Read the labels on the 3m bottles. They have recommended RPM settings.

I always wax by hand.

Thrall
11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Not sure on exact rpms, but I use the same compound and polish (3M) with 3M wool pads specific to the compound. Start very slowly, unless you want to make a big mess of everything within 20'. Gradually speed up as compound stops flinging. Finish at full speed (on an IR air polisher). Main thing is don't ever let it sit in one place, keep it moving and don't concentrate directly on outside corners. The pressure is magnified and yourun a greater riskof burning thru the gel or paint.(moreso with paint, gel is thick and tougher)
If you're using a ny sort of rotary buffer, once it quits splattering, just floor it and buff it out. If you're using an angle grinder, keep the speed down, they spin alot faster.

jwroblew
11-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Picked up the products last night, I'll follow the RPM recommendations on the bottle. I wanted to quickly see what it was going to do, so I rubbed some on by hand, what a big difference its going to make, I'll try to remember to take pics. I also got some Star Brite hull cleaner, that stuff is amazing.

deereman
11-28-2009, 12:11 AM
just get a random orbitol buffer from harbor freight. theyre only like $20 and it worked pretty good when we just got our boat.