PDA

View Full Version : Loading 86 Mastercraft- Safety Strap

pacit
11-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Just bought my first Mastercraft, loaded it today and I could not get it loaded high enough to get the safety bar on it. Is there a trick to getting it up high enough? Maybe I had the trailer too deep? Can use any suggestions.

justinglow
11-08-2009, 10:12 PM
You want to be able to see about an inch of the fenders out of the water. The bar is a real PITA to get used to, but you will. Let see some pics of that 86!

trickskier
11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I had to keep powering up on my 82' to get the safety strap hooked. Watch your fingers!!!

pacit
11-08-2009, 10:20 PM
So I need to get a "Running" start to get it up? Once I had it high enough it seems to slip back?

trickskier
11-08-2009, 10:24 PM
No, not a running start. The driver just needs to keep adding more power - A Little at a time until you can hook the safety strap..........Like I said watch your fingers!!!

pacit
11-08-2009, 10:28 PM
SO this is a 2 person job?

trickskier
11-08-2009, 10:31 PM
How did you load it?

pacit
11-08-2009, 10:34 PM
I had the wife back the trailer down I drove up.. Sucess at first just could not get it high enough to get the strap on. Boat is secure but every time I gassed it up it seem to some backwards.

mayo93prostar
11-08-2009, 10:37 PM
yes it is a 2 person job. one person holds the bar and guides the driver. the bar holder lifts the bar as the boat comes forward and when the bow eye goes into the slot in the bar, he signals the driver to stop, the boat slides back a little but the bar will stop it. hook the hook from the strap or cable through the bow eye. I usually did not tighten the strap or cable on the winch until the boat was out of the water. then tighten the strap/cable before trailering. good luck. there is also the ability to modify the trailer to install a "boat buddy" with an automatic locking pin to hold the boat. some on here have the drawings but it requires some welding.

trickskier
11-08-2009, 10:38 PM
It's definitely a 2 person job..................And a pain as well.

WilliM1940
11-08-2009, 11:37 PM
It is a one person job. Most important, wax the crap out of 5 or 6 feet of bunk closest to the tongue of the trailer and the v-block too. Leave the rear bunks unwaxed. Get a good two stage winch. Mark the bow of the boat in position just above the v-block with paint while the strap is on.

I bury the trailer fenders about an inch. Run the boat on the trailer bunks so it is just stable, get out of the boat. Hook the strap and reel the boat in the rest of the way so the mark rises just above the v-block. Pull the trailer out of the water, winch latched. Once on level ground, loosen winch, drop hook, raise bar, engage winch hook and lightly tighten winch. The bar is misunderstood, it is an excellent retaining device for the trailer, not intended to be like a boat buddy for easy water withdrawl. The buddies suck at retaining the boat for travel.

justinglow
11-08-2009, 11:51 PM
I got rid of the bar system on my 86.

trickskier
11-09-2009, 08:09 AM
It is a one person job. Most important, wax the crap out of 5 or 6 feet of bunk closest to the tongue of the trailer and the v-block too. Leave the rear bunks unwaxed. Get a good two stage winch. Mark the bow of the boat in position just above the v-block with paint while the strap is on.

I bury the trailer fenders about an inch. Run the boat on the trailer bunks so it is just stable, get out of the boat. Hook the strap and reel the boat in the rest of the way so the mark rises just above the v-block. Pull the trailer out of the water, winch latched. Once on level ground, loosen winch, drop hook, raise bar, engage winch hook and lightly tighten winch. The bar is misunderstood, it is an excellent retaining device for the trailer, not intended to be like a boat buddy for easy water withdrawl. The buddies suck at retaining the boat for travel.

That may work..............But my experience has been that it's a lot easier to do with 2 people while loading.

liledgy
11-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I never thought it to be difficult, of course I skied on MCs alot before finally owning in 1984. Like many boat trailers, water depth and the pitch of the ramp cam make things difficult. I usually back trailer in covering bunks under water and then like others said pull it out till an inch or 2 is showing and pull boat on spittle past of where I think it will end up keeping a slight throttle on to keep
boat from sliding down then I have another person if available raise bar. If boar is a little high I pull back on throttle and let boat slide down
an inch or 2. I would never have someone raise bar as I was pulling boat on trailer. I also leave winch slack until out of ramp. I feel very comfortable doing it myself although climbing over the windshield more than twice is aggravating but seldom happens. It's a simple system and if any parts on your winch break no problem as long as you have a hook or some other clasp to go through the eye after the bar is raised. Ihave seen numerous problems with the fancier attatchments out now. Most recently on my sisters 03 xstar after loading boat and having the clip pulled open it would not release very little room for your fingers. Anyway they pulled it out without it locked and had to go back to mc and have it repaired. They are meticulous people. Anyway I'm sure it's a good system but it has more moving parts and seems more prone to repairs but I guess it's what you get used to.

kevkan
11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Don't lock the winch while the boat is still in the water. I learned this the hard way. If the ramp is steep, the back of the boat will be floating above the trailer. When you pull out and the back of the boat settles onto the bunks, the front raises. If your winch is locked you will break your cable, like I did once.

I've always used the 2 person method. One of my kids raises the bar while I pull onto trailer. When the eye lines up with slot in bar, kid raised bar and inserts hook. Kill engine, pull out with winch loose. Tighten and lock winch after pulling out of water. Its a real pain to load a boat that won't start.

keith3613
11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I’ve had a 1984 since it was new. A 2 man job is the easiest. However, this can be done alone. I always walk my boat on the trailer. I never drive it on. There is too great a risk of damaging the fenders. Here’s the way I do it. Put the trailer in the water with the water about even with the fenders. Get the boat on the trailer as far forward as possible. Attach the winch strap to the boat. Verify the winch is locked. Pull the boat with the winch as far forward as possible. Pull the boat out of the water and off the ramp. Loosen the winch strap. Hold the trailer bar up to the boat. See how far you need to come forward to get the bow eye into the bar slot. Tighten the strap and drive the trailer forward about 2 miles per hour and stop suddenly. The boat will slide forward a little. This can be repeated until the boat is in position to attach the bar. I use this to get off the ramp quickly and out of everyone’s way. Always, have your winch strap tight and locked so the boat will always slide only forward. If you go to far forward, put some slack in the strap and back-up and stop to slide the boat back a little. Never unlock the winch until you’re ready to launch the boat into the water. I made the mistake one year of putting new carpet on my trailer and waxing the hull at the same time. I unsnapped the strap from the boat and backed down the boat ramp. The boat almost slid off of the trailer. Again, never unlock the winch until you’re ready to launch the boat into the water.

JohnE
11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd definitely add the Boat Buddy. TMCNo1 has some drawings to spec. exactly how to do it. But his computer is down and he won't be on for a few days. You can PM him for them. Or I can get them from him and send them to you if you choose to go this route.

Sodar
11-10-2009, 12:45 PM
There two topics in the FAQ section are in the FAQ section.

BriEOD's posts 14-17 with pictures:

http://tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=112627#post112627

Harold's pdf diagram:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=425858&postcount=48

xstarplease
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I have looked through all these strategies briefly, and mine is somewhat different. I do not have a winch strap on my trailer. My trailer has a turnbuckle with a hook that attaches to the bow eye.

I have the driver of the truck back the trailer in more shallow than one would normally use for loading. I then drive the boat onto the trailer slowly. I do not power the boat on. At the point the boat stops on the trailer, I get out and stand on the trailer at the bow of the boat. I then have the truck driver slowly back into the water until I can pull the boat up by hand and lock the bar. I then barely tighten the turnbuckle because as the trailer is pulled out of the water the back of the boat drops and takes most of the slack out of the turnbuckle. This avoids putting unnecessary stress on the bow eye, yet doesn't allow for the bar to fall off the bow eye.

You will have to use trial and error the first couple of times when deciding on how far to have the truck driver back down when you are holding the bow-eye by hand.

I have only had my boat for a year, but this method has worked great for me. It's fast and simple. I really haven't found any negatives with it. Let me know if any of you see any.

Jim@BAWS
11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Here is a simple solution. Get rid of the wooden BLOCKS in the V Block of your trailer.
Get the updated thinner ones that are carpeted. Those allow the boat to go further into the v block and the boat does not have to ride up so high into it.

Easy and less expensive. Try that first

Jim@BAWS

ski_king
11-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I do it all the time by myself. No big deal, but it did take me 20 years to figure it out.

Yes, a second person does make it easier, however my wife is scared to stand between the boat and the truck when I power load it, and I power it on slow......

helton333
11-10-2009, 06:50 PM
that bar!!!!! I have to get my rear exhaust on the LandCruiser about 3 inches under water to get the boat loaded. I will definatly not miss it on my new boat.

If I were going to trailer the boat - I would have a machine shop modify it and put an automatic catch on it.

ski_king
11-10-2009, 07:55 PM
that bar!!!!! I have to get my rear exhaust on the LandCruiser about 3 inches under water to get the boat loaded. I will definatly not miss it on my new boat.

If I were going to trailer the boat - I would have a machine shop modify it and put an automatic catch on it.

Either you have a very shallow ramp, or you are backing in way too far. On my ramp I have 2 or 3 feet between the rear bumper of the truck and the water line.

kevkan
11-10-2009, 08:11 PM
With my 1985 factory set-up, it is far easier to keep the trailer shallow, and drive on. I never get my vehicle in the water. Steep ramps are a problem, shallow ramps work fine.

liledgy
11-10-2009, 11:18 PM
It's a drive on trailer, it's madecto power the boat on.and if you damage your fenders driving it on your guide poles are bent or not installed properly. The turn buckles were pre " 1980". And the bar was the next generation Jim nice tip for the people having problems loading.

85S&S_Keuka
11-11-2009, 01:30 PM
One person can do it as easy as dealing with a 2-person act. Power it up to the sweet spot of attachment and go over the windshield, slip the bar on and it's done. I load my boat 99.9% of the time by myself.

I've done it this way too for 20 yrs. It's sometimes easier than explaining to the second person how to drive the boat (just the right amount of power) or how to lift the bar. Usually 2-3 times over the windshield and I get it right.

kevkan
11-11-2009, 11:23 PM
You cant use "2-3 times over the windshield" and "easier" in the same post.

I've had my 85 for 23 years and have never had a problem using the 2 person method, even with complete novices or kids at the bow/trailer. I can't imagine loading alone, unless I had some mark or indication of when the boat was far enough up on the trailer. I can dock my boat, back the trailer in, drive boat on to trailer, with a kid guiding/holding bar, and still not occupy the ramp as long as most other boaters.

Jim@BAWS
11-11-2009, 11:34 PM
that bar!!!!! I have to get my rear exhaust on the LandCruiser about 3 inches under water to get the boat loaded. I

WHAT??????