PDA

View Full Version : Changing of the Prop

sten76
06-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Got my new ACME prop and it looks great, very excited to get it on the boat.

Has anyone ever tried to change a prop while the boat is on the lift? I am thinking about it, but I do not want to lose any parts in the water. I was thinking of just changing it in the parking lot of the boat landing, but if I do not have to take the boat out that would be easier.

Thoughts?

DanC
06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
2002 PS209? What type and size prop? Just curious, I ordered a 13x11 3 blade XMP yesterday for my 2003 PS209.

Back on topic, I wouldn't change a prop over the water. Murphy would see me as way too big of a target, proportional to how much we had planned for that day. I'm sure the sure-handed types here would have no problem. Except for Brad, he has a tire changing (or something like that) procedure that might help you ;)

bfinley
06-09-2005, 05:19 PM
I changed my prop last night, on the trailer. It was actually pretty easy. I don't see why you couldn't change it on the lift, as long as the water's not too deep and you can easily stand while working on it.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 05:21 PM
I'd suggest placing a john boat or inflateable raft beneath it while you work to catch anything you might drop. Murphy's Law.

sten76
06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
2002 PS209? What type and size prop? Just curious, I ordered a 13x11 3 blade XMP yesterday for my 2003 PS209.

He suggested a 13x12 3 blade. I had the stock 13x13 4 blade on it, and he said that the 13x12 3 blade would out perform pretty much everything else out there.

DanC
06-09-2005, 05:24 PM
He suggested a 13x12 3 blade. I had the stock 13x13 4 blade on it, and he said that the 13x12 3 blade would out perform pretty much everything else out there.

The CNC'd XMP or just the forged?

AirJunky
I've done it while the boat was sitting on a JetDock a couple of times. The only issue might be if the prop is really stuck on there good & you use the puller & it POPs lose how they do sometimes. There might be a chance you'd lose the key when the prop pops off. If you position the prop shaft so the key is sitting on top, and carefully cover each end of the prop with your hands, & hold the prop on the shaft when it pops, you should be pretty safe.

lsupcar
Tie safety lines or laynards to all the parts and tools that you can in case they get dropped. Good luck. Bill Z

DanC
06-09-2005, 05:26 PM
I've done it while the boat was sitting on a JetDock a couple of times. The only issue might be if the prop is really stuck on there good & you use the puller & it POPs lose how they do sometimes. There might be a chance you'd lose the key when the prop pops off. If you position the prop shaft so the key is sitting on top, and carefully cover each end of the prop with your hands, & hold the prop on the shaft when it pops, you should be pretty safe.

Loosen the nut only a 1/2", then pop the prop loose. The key should saty inside.

6ballsisall
06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Loosen the nut only a 1/2", then pop the prop loose. The key should saty inside.

Good advice, helped a buddy with an old Supra Rider do this on our lake (on his lift) worked like a charm. I couldn't imagine trying this on a lift where you couldn't touch the bottom with your feet though, you need that leverage sometimes

Granite_33
06-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Been there done that twice. Both taking off and putting on. in about 5 feet of water

I have a closed cell foam float (big 4x4 float) that I sit the tools on, right underneath the prop. I just took my time, and was very careful.

I had assistants both times, to hold the nut, cotter and key. The key was not a problem because it had a good interference fit.

The way to go is to have something to float underneath it. Gives you an added measure of safety.

:wavey: