PDA

View Full Version : New Here :) Big Hello + A Few Questions

Dan_ed100
11-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new here but have been using this website as a fantastic resource of tips and advice throughout the year. We have just enjoyed our first season with our first mastercraft a year 2000 PS 195 which we are absolutely loving. It has completely changed our habits, lots of wakeboarding and started to run the coarse for the first time as well. I only have a few pics of the boat which arnt very good but i have attached them anyway (too much skiing and not enough photos :) ) I will take some next season, boat is winterized now.

One question i have is that when we were winterizing the boat we checked the fuel lines and found a leak from the top of the tank, see circled part of photo below. The leak is not coming from the connection but from the metal circle, is this the fuel filter? If not what is this? Just i dont have a clue what to ask for when i phone up mastercraft.

Thanks

Dan

mccobmd
11-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I don't have a clue about the metal thing but welcome. I have the same problem, too busy riding behind my X1 to be taking pictures.

trickskier
11-08-2009, 10:43 PM
It's not a fuel filter...................But needs to be fixed!!!

Clean Boat!!!

bturner2
11-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Any fuel leak no matter how minor should be taken very seriously and once discovered should be repaired before going out again. Take it from someone who had a 20' Sea Ray burn in the middle of the Detroit River. Boat fires are much different than car fires. You can't just get out and walk (or better yet run) away.

In my case we were lucky that the three of us on board were all adults and good swimmers. The fire stared in the engine compartment but engulfed the cockpit within a couple minutes. None of us were even able to get life jackets on before heading over the side. The whole experience could have turned out much worse than the total loss of the boat had I had children or people on board that were poor swimmers.

Obviously after my experience I freak out when I see any leak or smell a strong gas odor in the bilge. Trust me, it doesn't take a lot of gas to start a fire and burn down a plastic boat filled with flammable liquids.

OK so much for the total lecture without any helpful information. Based on what I can see it would appear that you have fuel injection and that the fuel pump is in the tank. Since I'm not there physically to trace the lines I would assume the black line is running to the vent. The line attached to the fitting that's leaking I believe is feed line running to the engine and is attached to the in tank fuel pump. This is a pressurized system which is why a leak at this point could be the recipe for disaster. I personally don't know if this connection can or should be repaired. I'm sure others with more experience will come along and be able to assist with better information.

bigmac
11-09-2009, 09:32 AM
One question i have is that when we were winterizing the boat we checked the fuel lines and found a leak from the top of the tank, see circled part of photo below. The leak is not coming from the connection but from the metal circle, is this the fuel filter? If not what is this? Just i dont have a clue what to ask for when i phone up mastercraft.

Thanks

DanThat thing on the top of the module is the fuel pressure regulator. It's not replaceable as a standalone part. I'm confused as to where it's leaking from, but AFAIK there isnt anything to tighten to keep it from leaking unless it's a hose connection. You should check with your dealer (and soon), but I suspect you might have to replace the entire fuel pump module (about $500 if you do it yourself).

MIMC
11-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Dan ed100 -

Welcome! I have the exact same boat, red/white, 2000 PS195. What engine do you have? I have the LTR 330 HP - I love the boat, love the engine, love it all. I have only 330 hours, just winterized this weekend. Prev post was correct, fuel psi regulator, no rpr avail, need to replace entire fuel pump module. Good luck and welcome!

MIMC

bigmac
11-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I see you're from the UK. You might consider sending a PM to Sizzler (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=605). He's from your neck of the woods and has a lot of experience with faulty fuel pump modules.

Muttley
11-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Welcome! Sweet boat and great pics!:toast:

Nothing to add about the leak except you really need to get that fixed.:(

André
11-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Could it be coming from the quick disconnect fitting that need a special tool to be remove just left of the red circle?
Just a tought as replacing the regulator assy wouldn't help and that is a costly part.
Anyone ever read about a leaking regulator on those fuel pump units?

Welcome to the board!!!:)

bigmac
11-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Could it be coming from the quick disconnect fitting that need a special tool to be remove just left of the red circle?
Just a tought as replacing the regulator assy wouldn't help and that is a costly part.
Anyone ever read about a leaking regulator on those fuel pump units?

Welcome to the board!!!:)

That's a good thought, Andre. Leaking from that disconnect fitting certainly would be possible.

nmcjr
11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
I too would guess it is the disconnect fitting, but I have never seen one leak, and wouldn't know how to fix it. that needs to be repaired asap for sure. you may want to repost that issue with a different title. If anyone knows why it would leak or how to repair it is JimN, and I would assume a new post with a different title will draw his attention, or you could PM him.

Dan_ed100
11-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome and all the advice. I will send a message to the guys you recommended and i think i am going to have to have further investigation to see if it is the connector or the regulator. When i was putting it away it looked as if it was coming from where the regulator bends out to form the connection for the hoses. Thanks for all the advice i will let you know how i get on.

Dan ed100 -

Welcome! I have the exact same boat, red/white, 2000 PS195. What engine do you have? I have the LTR 330 HP - I love the boat, love the engine, love it all. I have only 330 hours, just winterized this weekend. Prev post was correct, fuel psi regulator, no rpr avail, need to replace entire fuel pump module. Good luck and welcome!

MIMC

Yeah we are so happy with ours, completely re-sparked our enthusiasm for skiing, cant wait for next year now. It has the 310 predator engine, which we are very happy with. We came from an outboard sportique boat (english make) which served us well but as a family the 195 is so much more comfortable.

Dan

corey
11-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Great looking boat!

acornellier
11-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Very nice boat.