PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 flu vaccination poll....

bigmac
11-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Will you be getting vaccinated against H1N1 flu?

Just curious.

SkiDog
11-08-2009, 11:55 AM
1000 mg. EsterC is the ONLY vacination Dog needs!

trickskier
11-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Never received a Flu shot................Last time I had the Flu was 1979...............Cutty is great for medicinal purposes!!!..........;)

92 190 PS
11-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Not typically one to chime in on medical advice since I am by no means an expert, but had a fun week (so I thought I'd share) with the H1N1 vaccine (nasal spray one). My 8 and 4 year old got the vaccine at school this week. 1.5 days later the 8 year old had a temp of 102 and a nasty cough. Been going on for 3 days now and now my 2 year old daughter woke up in the middle of the night last night with the same thing. Again, not saying I would do anything differently if I would have known just sharing my expierence with the vaccine this week....

bigmac
11-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Not typically one to chime in on medical advice since I am by no means an expert, but had a fun week (so I thought I'd share) with the H1N1 vaccine (nasal spray one). My 8 and 4 year old got the vaccine at school this week. 1.5 days later the 8 year old had a temp of 102 and a nasty cough. Been going on for 3 days now and now my 2 year old daughter woke up in the middle of the night last night with the same thing. Again, not saying I would do anything differently if I would have known just sharing my expierence with the vaccine this week....

Yes, the nasal spray uses a live attenuated virus (unlike the shot, which uses a dead virus). It is likely more effective in preventing H1N1 in people between the ages of 2-50, but flu-like symptoms are relatively common side effects.

I had the shot the other day (too old for the spray) and had no issues.

SkiDog
11-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I never understood why someone would purposely take a vaccine with the very virus strain in it that they are trying to PREVENT. What the hell?:confused::confused::confused:

east tx skier
11-08-2009, 01:24 PM
My 4 year old and I have it right now. He tested and came back positive. I took care of him for two days and have flu like symptoms (so it's a pretty safe assumption in my case). Wish the vaccine were available earlier around here. He was supposed to be vaccinated at 4 p.m. on the day he started exhibiting symptoms. Darn the luck.

Hoping to get the littler guy vaccinated soon. He's in Houston with grandma until this blows over.

We are pro vaccine in our household. The debate can go on without us. I'd have rather had a vaccination than this crap I have now.

Jorski
11-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I never understood why someone would purposely take a vaccine with the very virus strain in it that they are trying to PREVENT. What the hell?

Because it tricks your body into making antibodies that prevent you from getting sick from the same virus. The injection is killed virus...no chance of getting the actual flu. (note: we don't have a live attenuated spray in Canada).

Of course there can be some minor reactions, but you know this is how polio, smallpox, TB etc have become a distant memory.

Oh...Big Mac, you tell 'em

FWIW, whole family has been immunized. My son has asthma and we were advised about how important it would be in his case.

bigmac
11-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I never understood why someone would purposely take a vaccine with the very virus strain in it that they are trying to PREVENT. What the hell?:confused::confused::confused:

You'll get that when you take Immunology next semester.:D

east tx skier
11-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Herd immunity is the goal.

bigmac
11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm generally pretty neutral on seasonal flu vaccination. It's always kind of a crap shoot whether the vaccination in a given year will actually match the prevalent strain. I usually do get a seasonal flu shot mainly because I do regularly come into contact with sick people, it might help, costs me nothing, and doesn't ever cause me any trouble. I got the H1N1 vaccine pretty much for the same reasons, but I confess that illness does worry me a little. I'm pretty confident that the government is overhyping it, but it is true that it's a new strain and that there is not as much "herd immunity" as with other strains. I was impressed recently with two otherwise-healthy 40 year-olds who were recently hospitalized here with H1N1 and pretty rapidly got into pulmonary trouble. It made me more inclined than usual to get the shot.

east tx skier
11-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm generally pretty neutral on seasonal flu vaccination. It's always kind of a crap shoot whether the vaccination in a given year will actually match the prevalent strain. I usually do get a seasonal flu shot mainly because I do regularly come into contact with sick people, it might help, costs me nothing, and doesn't ever cause me any trouble. I got the H1N1 vaccine pretty much for the same reasons, but I confess that illness does worry me a little. I'm pretty confident that the government is overhyping it, but it is true that it's a new strain and that there is not as much "herd immunity" as with other strains. I was impressed recently with two otherwise-healthy 40 year-olds who were recently hospitalized here with H1N1 and pretty rapidly got into pulmonary trouble. It made me more inclined than usual to get the shot.

From our personal experience, the disease, with tamiflu, is pretty manageable. My four year old has been a bit run down, but has, for the most part, felt well enough to be a good couch potato. My symptoms are pretty much the same. I feel sick (congested, achy, feverish), but can function fine with a combination of tamiflu and alternating fever reducers. Neither of us has had a sore throat (or much of one). His cough is a bit more prevalent than mine. But regardless of our being able to manage it, it certainly does affect different people in different ways. I know of two people, one a local elementary school student, and another friend of a friend, both of whom were otherwise healthy, that are among the fatalities from H1N1.

TX.X-30 fan
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Yes and the media have hyped it beyond reason. I too have read the few cases where it just goes into overdrive in some people and others it is mild. Sometimes I think the guys with great hair on TV just like saying the word....... Pandemic. :D

I am not surprised this has not become obama's katrina, but I think if GW was in there right now it would be considered his 2nd katrina. :D

east tx skier
11-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Stu, I think you could politicize a thread about a kid's birthday party! A true talent, sir.

bigmac
11-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Because it tricks your body into making antibodies that prevent you from getting sick from the same virus. The injection is killed virus...no chance of getting the actual flu. (note: we don't have a live attenuated spray in Canada).

Of course there can be some minor reactions, but you know this is how polio, smallpox, TB etc have become a distant memory.

Oh...Big Mac, you tell 'em

FWIW, whole family has been immunized. My son has asthma and we were advised about how important it would be in his case.

You flounders better listen to him...he's pre-med.

:D

TX.X-30 fan
11-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Stu, I think you could politicize a thread about a kid's birthday party! A true talent, sir.

I will take that as a compliment. :D Did make you ponder for a second.

Jorski
11-08-2009, 04:56 PM
You flounders better listen to him...he's pre-med.

Ha ha ! Wow, Big Mac, we finally found something we are in agreement about AND you throw in Animal House reference!

I doff my Canadian chapeau to you sir!

east tx skier
11-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I will take that as a compliment. :D Did make you ponder for a second.

Not for a second. But keep trying. 8p

André
11-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Neighbor's son was hit by the H1N1 last week.16 y old very healthy and in good shape otherwise.
Lost 22 lbs in a week and was hospitalize for 2 days...:(
Will probably get the shot as i work often in schools.

TX.X-30 fan
11-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Not for a second. But keep trying. 8p

I will Senior. ;)

ski_king
11-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I may get the shot if it becomes readly available.

I have 2 daugters in college, the oldest one got the shot early last week. The college got 100 doses for 5000 students. The students in the med fields got first choice. She will be in a clinical setting in 6 weeks, so its a good idea. The other kid is at a college of 8000, they have not received theirs yet and may not get them until the second term.

There was a local 45 year old lady who died from it last month. She had been helthu with no underlaying health issues. That is scary.

Witness140
11-08-2009, 10:26 PM
All 4 of our kids had H1N1 over the last 2 weeks. One of the kids is only 9 months old, so he fared the worst. It was loads of fun. My wife and I had a mysterious flu like illness that lingered in the spring. Since H1N1 had gone through someone's family at work, we think we had it. Hence not getting it now. Between having 4 kids at home with diagnosed H1N1, and having 2 nieces and a nephew with it at the same time, we were shocked we didn't come down with it. We've both been tired and had some minor cold symptoms, but nothing like the kids.

None of us had the vaccine, but it wasn't really widely available around here yet anyways.

trickskier
11-08-2009, 10:29 PM
69% don't get a Flu shot??? Would have thought just the opposite...........

JimN
11-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Locally, a van was stolen and inside were a lot of doses that had been scheduled to be delivered to one location while they prepared to leave another. The medicine had to be sent back since it had been out of their control and can't be verified as safe.

I probably won't get a shot. I just had a cold for the first time on close to two years and have been around many people who had been sick in that time, so I'm not particularly worried.

The last time I was inoculated for flu, I got sick immediately after. I was out of school and had a term paper for my Urban Planning class due, so I dragged my sick butt out of bed so I could type it up and apparently I was in worse shape than I though because it had comments like "What is this?", "You must be kidding" and "Give me a break" after it was graded. It all seemed logical to me, at the time.

suedv
11-09-2009, 01:35 AM
My immunologist told me the vaccine probably wouldn't do me much good if I got it, but it would be really good for the rest of my family to have the shot. My body is really bad at making antibodies. I got the pneumovax vaccine and I didn't create antibodies... the second try a couple years later didn't take either. Also my IgG and IgM is always low so I get sick easy. I take prophylactic antibiotics year round to try prevent infections.

The thing about H1N1 vaccine at my house is nobody else in my family is considered high risk so they don't fit in the group that gets the shots until they are more available. I'm very careful about washing my hands a lot.

east tx skier
11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
69% don't get a Flu shot??? Would have thought just the opposite...........

The vaccine is free. Tamiflu, with insurance, was about $65 out of pocket. Had I been vaccinated, I'd have an extra $65. :mad:

Simple economics if anything else.

Monte
11-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Leah recently took a job with the local Health Dept. Her office is adminstering about 350 shots per day. On Saturday they had a drive thru H1N1 shot clinic. They administered almost 700 immunizations in little over 4 hours. I have not gotten the shot yet, but give her time. She will poke me with a needle any chance she gets.

bcampbe7
11-09-2009, 11:29 AM
If I can, I will.

My dad has H1N1 with pneumonia right now. Started with a fever and cough on Thursday and got progressively worse. Talked to him this morning and he is feeling slightly better but was still running a fever.

The docs think that our oldest has had H1N1 (he had flu-like symptoms a few weeks ago). Our youngest has had his first round of vaccine and will have the second in a few days.

If I can find the vaccine, I will go ahead and get it. As far as the seasonal flu vaccine, no I won't be getting that.

Muttley
11-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Up here in Canada, there's a serious shortage of the vaccine. We probably won't be able to get it. It may be reserved for the sick and elderly.

I'm most likely not going to get it anyway. Last time I had a flu shot I got sicker than I've ever been in my life! I swore I'd never get another one.

That's not to say you shouldn't get one... It's just what happened to me. Now I'm pretty gun-shy.

Jerseydave
11-09-2009, 11:59 AM
This may be a question for BigMac.....we can only get the H1N1 mist for my 2 kids (6 and 16). I'd prefer the shot since it's not a live virus. Should we hold out for the shot or go ahead with the mist? (Lots of kids around here have H1N1 virus, 2 kids in my 6 year old's class)

bigmac
11-09-2009, 12:09 PM
This may be a question for BigMac.....we can only get the H1N1 mist for my 2 kids (6 and 16). I'd prefer the shot since it's not a live virus. Should we hold out for the shot or go ahead with the mist? (Lots of kids around here have H1N1 virus, 2 kids in my 6 year old's class)

I think the live attenuated virus spray might be more effective for kids in that age group. If it were my family, I'd go with the spray now.

flipper
11-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Our pediatrician and a couple other pediatricians we know strongly urged against the spray being that it's a live virus.

bigmac
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't know any pediatricians that are making that recommendation, and AFAIK it is at odds with the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

BrianM
11-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Never have had a Flu shot but this year with a 2 month old in the house will be getting both the seasonal flu and H1N1 not for me but for the midget since she is too young to get it herself.

flipper
11-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't know any pediatricians that are making that recommendation, and AFAIK it is at odds with the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Ours said she won't give the spray, my nephews said the same thing, and my friends wife who is a pediatric RN said don't get it, wait for the shot.

bcampbe7
11-09-2009, 02:01 PM
After our 3 year old got the flu mist for the seasonal flu this year, we will never get it again. Flu shot or nothing from here out.

Thrall
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Haven't gotten the H1N1, don't plan to, nor have I ever received the seasonal flu vaccination.....much to my wife's dissapointment.
She's a RN, family practice/outpatient most recently, so exposed to alot of sick people. She was initially against the live virus H1N1, but convinced otherwise by one of her docs and has had the shot herself and live nasal vaccination for the 3 and 6 y/o.
In short supply I guess around here as well. Wife's sister drove all the way up from S of Denver to get her kids vaccinated (300mi round trip), 'cause my wife has access to vaccinations and they can't get one in Denver.

TX.X-30 fan
11-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Our pediatrician and a couple other pediatricians we know strongly urged against the spray being that it's a live virus.

California says it all.

TX.X-30 fan
11-09-2009, 07:07 PM
After our 3 year old got the flu mist for the seasonal flu this year, we will never get it again. Flu shot or nothing from here out.

Why is that Beau.

TX.X-30 fan
11-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Part of the problem is the soccer/suburban moms getting their kids over medicated for years until they have little resistance to anything.. Kid need to get all kids of stuff as the grow up and running to the doctor like these idiots do at the smallest sniffle has exacerbated the problems.

east tx skier
11-09-2009, 08:05 PM
To be honest, our four year old has been medicated pretty well. But he's also been in day care. He handled H1N1 without much complaint, much like he handles the rest.

Not saying there isn't a little merit to getting sick. But we embrace it all at once and it seems to work pretty well.

My soccer mom works full time! 8p

Thrall
11-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Part of the problem is the soccer/suburban moms getting their kids over medicated for years until they have little resistance to anything.. Kid need to get all kids of stuff as the grow up and running to the doctor like these idiots do at the smallest sniffle has exacerbated the problems.

I agree, and my wife who is also a medical professional doesn't 100% agree with me, partly because she's had a lower immune system since having cancer as a kid.
So I let the kids eat mud pies when they're playing outside if they so choose and don't make them wash their hands before lunch at McD's.....just to keep their immune systems up!

east tx skier
11-09-2009, 08:09 PM
But I will say I've put up a fight against the "antibacterial" soap for years. Not that I have much choice at this point.

pram
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I watched on tv the other morning a test between
#1 hand cleaner with alcohol
#2 hand cleaner without alcohol
#3 antibacterial soap
#4 regular soap

#1 was best then #2

#3 & #4 no noticeable difference when hands washed for 20 sec

damaged442
11-09-2009, 10:00 PM
A few years ago it was a very similar situation with the H5N1, (avian flu) and I came across lots of paperwork throwing the pandemic word around to get the public riled up then too. I really don't get the media hype. Well, I do, especially if you're Roche and you're making disgusting amounts of money as a result of it.

My kids just got over H1N1 and it just involved fever for 5-6 days, followed by a cough for about 3-5 days. It will affect everyone differently, just like the seasonal flu strains. One person may be fine and others won't be. Sometimes it's an immune system thing, sometimes it's just a fluke reaction. I'm not sure this vaccine will make it any better or worse for anyone though. Only time will tell, but what about the next strain down the road? Another "pandemic", followed by more media hype?

88 PS190
11-10-2009, 01:21 PM
I had H1N1 about a month and a half ago.

Didn't think it was bad, but then again I never really feel that bad when I'm sick. I ate fruit, drank tea, and stayed in my bedroom for a week.

I don't think H1N1 would be that big a deal if people took more care with standard hygiene in public.

bcampbe7
11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I watched on tv the other morning a test between
#1 hand cleaner with alcohol
#2 hand cleaner without alcohol
#3 antibacterial soap
#4 regular soap

#1 was best then #2

#3 & #4 no noticeable difference when hands washed for 20 sec

I had H1N1 about a month and a half ago.

Didn't think it was bad, but then again I never really feel that bad when I'm sick. I ate fruit, drank tea, and stayed in my bedroom for a week.

I don't think H1N1 would be that big a deal if people took more care with standard hygiene in public.

I would agree with this.

On that same note. Why is it difficult for some to grasp the concept of washing their hands after using the bathroom? I can't tell you how many times I have been in a public restroom and witnessed people use the bathroom and just walk out without washing their hands. I think CNN should do a story on this!

TX.X-30 fan
11-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I would agree with this.

On that same note. Why is it difficult for some to grasp the concept of washing their hands after using the bathroom? I can't tell you how many times I have been in a public restroom and witnessed people use the bathroom and just walk out without washing their hands. I think CNN should do a story on this!

My unit has never had the flu, how would washing my hands after handling him keep me safe?? :D

TX.X-30 fan
11-10-2009, 01:50 PM
To be honest, our four year old has been medicated pretty well. But he's also been in day care. He handled H1N1 without much complaint, much like he handles the rest.

Not saying there isn't a little merit to getting sick. But we embrace it all at once and it seems to work pretty well.

My soccer mom works full time! 8p

I really meant antibiotics perscribed when it was a virus after all.

Attorney/soccer moms are hott................ :D

east tx skier
11-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I really meant antibiotics perscribed when it was a virus after all.

Attorney/soccer moms are hott................ :D

Yeah, he's probably had too many antibiotics in his early year for ear infections. Seems to fight it off with that day care immunity though.

Yes, she is.

André
11-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Yes, she is.

Hot,lawyer and married to you.Something's wrong right there...;)

woftam
11-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I would agree with this.

Should wash your hands before using the bathroom too. That is, if you care about your junk. ;)

east tx skier
11-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Hot,lawyer and married to you.Something's wrong right there...;)

Indeed. But I'm not saying a word.

captain planet
11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I agree, and my wife who is also a medical professional doesn't 100% agree with me, partly because she's had a lower immune system since having cancer as a kid.
So I let the kids eat mud pies when they're playing outside if they so choose and don't make them wash their hands before lunch at McD's.....just to keep their immune systems up![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bcampbe7;643332]I would agree with this.

The late George Carlin would be proud! It just keeps your immune system sharp by giving it a lot of practice.

To paraphrase Carlin: "My friends and I swam in the east river...and it was filled with raw sewage. And not one of us got polio, you know why? BECAUSE WE SWAM IN RAW SEWAGE! We were tempered in raw $hit!"

I've never had the flu shot, and never will. The only thing that would happen that would change my mind is if the H5N1 was rolling around between people and still had the same current mortality rate.

Jesus_Freak
11-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I would agree with this.

Yes, and use a paper towel to cut off the water and open the door to protect yourself from the 90% of the population that does not wash their hands before leaving.

TX.X-30 fan
11-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Yes, and use a paper towel to cut off the water and open the door to protect yourself from the 90% of the population that does not wash their hands before leaving.

Or the guy who sneezed on his way out................ :D

I love all these supposedly intelligent people claiming relentless hand washing will keep you from being sick.:rolleyes: No reference to TT members............ directed at the months long campaign on the drive-by media outlets.