PDA

View Full Version : Speaker L.E.D.'s

corey
11-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Batch one of these are designed to fit with the JL Audio boat and tower speakers. Right now these are available exclusively at Midwest MasterCraft!!! L.E.D.'s available in blue, green, red, yellow, white and orange. These are an acrylic ring that sits behind the speaker itself using the existing speaker mounts so there is NO DRILLING REQUIRED!!!

You will need to supply a power source (via accessory, courtesy lights, tower lights, etc) and wiring.

http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-LED-Speaker-Rings-p/mastercraft_led_speaker_rings.htm

btriantos
11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
$99 each or pair?

corey
11-06-2009, 04:35 PM
99 bucks a pair, shipped.

CottagerGreg
11-06-2009, 09:45 PM
wow looks like a really nice product!

X25 ED
11-07-2009, 06:16 AM
This is very nice!
But does the speaker stays sealed so that water does not come in through the ring into the speaker?

corey
11-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Right now we are not shipping them with a secondary gasket as they havent seemed to need one. The LED's sit in a channel milled into the rings but the outside perimiter of the ring is solid so we have not seen any issues.

You could add a secondary gasket of some sort if you wanted to but the rings for a pretty tight seal with the speaker and enclosure as is.

X25 ED
11-07-2009, 03:20 PM
corey,

do you ship to the netherlands?

corey
11-07-2009, 04:30 PM
As far as I know we can, you may have to sign up with Bongo but don't quote me on that as I am in boat sales here and not up on our shipping. If you contact john@waterskis.com (or pm me your email) he can make sure they get to you, he is in charge of our website and shipping.

skeeler
11-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Corey, You don't have a picture of the ring itself, do ya? Just curious how these are mounted and how the wires need to be ran. Thanks.

Justjoe
11-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey Skeeler, I'm thinkin that these might look pretty cool to add behind the lights in the grill. Kinda rolls the color all the way around. Gotta be SUPER easy to tie in (just get power from the same source as the grill lights).

Crap. Looks like I have a winter project.

skeeler
11-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Hey Skeeler, I'm thinkin that these might look pretty cool to add behind the lights in the grill. Kinda rolls the color all the way around. Gotta be SUPER easy to tie in (just get power from the same source as the grill lights).

I was thinking the same thing! It is a long winter.....:D

corey
11-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Here are some pics of the rings themselves.

skeeler
11-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Here are some pics of the rings themselves.

That's what I thought. Same way I would have done it. :D Thanks!

rgardjr1
11-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Good looking product. Looks like it would simplify to process quite a bit compared to what I did to add them to the billet grills.

Prostar19
11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Great looking product good work!!!

Dan_ed100
11-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Wow these look brilliant.

woftam
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Some of the discussion got rerouted to a thread titled: Are grill lights on the tower illegal?

Here is corey’s accurate disclaimer:
“Wow, didnt think L.E.D. speaker rings would cause such a controversy. I would say its safe to say that while underway these are not legal, use at your own risk.
That being said, even if they are not legal underway the cool factor when docked at your favorite watering hole, on your trailer, in a parade, in a boat show or on your private lake is still pretty high.”

Justjoe
11-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks for bringing us all up to speed there. Now THAT's value.

TX.X-30 fan
11-10-2009, 07:19 PM

Any food in the pantry yet:confused: Good first project. ;)

Justjoe
11-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Nah...the pantry is bare (as always). Haven't I discussed my "The grocery store IS my pantry (but not REALLY my pantry) theme"??

TX.X-30 fan
11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Nah...the pantry is bare (as always). Haven't I discussed my "The grocery store IS my pantry (but not REALLY my pantry) theme"??

You have and I humbly apologise..................... Carry-on.

Justjoe
11-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Nah, it's all cool. Just didn't know if I was being given a chance to illustrate one of my personal tenets.

(Is that the right word?? I'm not particularly smart.)

corey
11-11-2009, 07:39 AM
In another thread here I feel my integrity has been called out when someone stated they doubted we would install a product we sold. FWIW we will install these L.E.D.'s in your boat, in fact we can wire them to an accessory switch or to a key fob similar to the remote lighting from MC.

Almost every product we sell has some danger and liability associated with it (waterskis, wakeboards, ski skis, boats, ropes, etc) At the end of the day the choice is up to you to accept the risk or not.

The fact is we've installed other companies L.E.D.'s per customers requests, none were as nice an install as the product my buddy designed. If you want L.E.D.'s these ones are nice, bolt on using factory hardware and can be removed without damaging anything. If you don't want L.E.D's don't buy them.

Justjoe
11-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Corey,

I for one think these things are (as my grandma would say) THE CATS ***. Expect an order from ME. (and it's all cool... I'll put em in. I know how easy a job this is)

I am attaching a picture of my super special, extra illegal to drive with at night, only set in the world rear facing tower lights. The addition of your rings o' color, combined with the blue LED's already wired into the speakers, compounded by these fancy schmanze spotlights, will surely put me over the top on my (or any other) lake in the "Douche Bag" catagory. I embrace this.

I'm not sure where your integrity was called to question. You're good in my book.

Joe

corey
11-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Dude thats SWEET!!! I wonder how well small HID style lights would work in there, not that I ever ride at night, but if I were to ride at night some rear facing lights would be AWESOME. Gonna have give the MC by Design guys another call and get some of those tweeter mounts, John if you are reading this please feel free to send us a pair for some R&D.

scott023
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Those look great Joe. Nice work. Can you make me some?

corey
11-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Scott, I was talking with my guy here and he thinks we might be able to make these work for your speakers. We would need to send a second "dummy" ring as a spacer to compensate for the overlap of the speaker grills. Because we would'nt be wiring up the second set of rings we could sell them to you for 20 bucks a pair in addition to the LED rings.

Right now we don't have any spider grills in stock so we are not sure what length screws you would need to bolt it all together but a quick trip to your local hardware store should be all you need to put it together.

Justjoe
11-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Dude thats SWEET!!! I wonder how well small HID style lights would work in there, not that I ever ride at night, but if I were to ride at night some rear facing lights would be AWESOME. Gonna have give the MC by Design guys another call and get some of those tweeter mounts, John if you are reading this please feel free to send us a pair for some R&D.

OOohhhh..... HID.. Yeah. I put a HID headlight in my bike last year and it's super nice. My only concern there would be that the "color" of the light would not be as nice.

The lights I have in there are 100 watt halogen. I like the light spectrum they give off (very warm glow... sunshine like). With four of them it is like being on a movie set or something. VERY VERY bright.

corey
11-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I gotcha, I thought they were small LED's. I'm going to need to get me some of those!!!

tex
11-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Is that an LED in your pocket?

DemolitionMan
11-11-2009, 12:08 PM
OOohhhh..... HID.. Yeah. I put a HID headlight in my bike last year and it's super nice. My only concern there would be that the "color" of the light would not be as nice.

The lights I have in there are 100 watt halogen. I like the light spectrum they give off (very warm glow... sunshine like). With four of them it is like being on a movie set or something. VERY VERY bright.

Those look great Joe. Do you have any close up pics? Or how you made them?

Justjoe
11-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Hmm... not yet. They are still in beta.

medicmoose
11-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Wow....I've read both posts on this topic and I have a few things to say. I like LED's, HID's strobes and Christmas trees. I like under water lights, speaker lights and courtesy lights. I've never navigated at night, read the waterway regs or surfed drunk. I've been called a douche bag, rude and probably more things that were out of ear shot.

With that being said...I like the new products that we are seeing everyday that help us make our already awesome boats stand apart. I like that there are so many innovative guys that belong to this discussion group and that we can all come and share our thoughts. No, not every person will be a huge fan of every product that we come across but God bless those folks that that bring their ideas and products here to share.

I too have seen the mess that can be created on the lake when there are collisions but I tell you right now....not one of those were caused by the wrong color of lights being used on a boat. 99% of the time the collision can be blamed on the 20 beers that the driver consumed prior to running his/her boat into a rock, dock, house, or any other object.

Anyway, that's my rant....boat safe and keep those products coming to this forum!! :)

woftam
11-14-2009, 07:23 PM
In another thread here I feel my integrity has been called out when someone stated they doubted we would install a product we sold. FWIW we will install these L.E.D.'s in your boat, in fact we can wire them to an accessory switch or to a key fob similar to the remote lighting from MC.

Almost every product we sell has some danger and liability associated with it (waterskis, wakeboards, ski skis, boats, ropes, etc) At the end of the day the choice is up to you to accept the risk or not.

The fact is we've installed other companies L.E.D.'s per customers requests, none were as nice an install as the product my buddy designed. If you want L.E.D.'s these ones are nice, bolt on using factory hardware and can be removed without damaging anything. If you don't want L.E.D's don't buy them.

I was not questioning your integrity.
The use of waterskis, wakeboards, ski boats, & ropes all have an element of risk. So does getting out of bed.
I was referring to the illegal use of the product, as was suggested in previous posts.
You acknowledged nighttime use while underway is probably illegal. (it is)
I did doubt you would install the product due to possible problems with liability.
I stand corrected. You will install the product for a purchaser.

JohnE
11-15-2009, 11:31 AM

Corey, those of us who are here regularly know your integrity.

I can't imagine thinking you wouldn't install something that might at the discretion of the user break a law.

For example Lake Winnipesaukee has a speed limit of 45 mph. I hope that you and/ or Silver Sand's marina up here would still sell me a boat even if it can go 46 mph.

kaxs
12-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Great product I installed these rings in my speakers last summer. Not in the tower speakers though. Question what are people using to light up the speaker grills or the speaker itself? I imagine some LEDs could be placed right behind the grills. Any pictures or instructions out there?

Thanks

rgardjr1
12-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Great product I installed these rings in my speakers last summer. Not in the tower speakers though. Question what are people using to light up the speaker grills or the speaker itself? I imagine some LEDs could be placed right behind the grills. Any pictures or instructions out there?

Thanks

Here you go:

Sport grills
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=28275

Billet grills
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32255&page=2

Holman J.B.F
12-04-2010, 02:39 AM

Thanks

here is a vid i made of my led project.I simply glued the strip behind the grill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqHrYtagCZs

craig3972
12-10-2010, 06:28 PM
I busted a vertebrae in my neck dirtbiking this summer and wasnt allowed to wakeboard for a while. Bored, I bought a bunch of Led's and cut out my own rings and installed in my boat.
Gay or not gay? - gay
Either way it sure gets the girls dancing. I also installed mine with a light controller that has 12 different settings for light switching - the most popular function follows the beat of the music. Its powered (on/off) thru the acc. switch and controlled with a remote. I will try to post a utube vid of it soon.

Moral of the story - dirt bikes are bad.

jdeml
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
i made mine myself and added around 15 leds per ring. if you know a little about anything then you can figure it out. i drilled holes thru the plexiglass ring so when you screw ur speaker in the housing you just line up the holes and screw em all together. wired all togther ran wire down tower and hooked to aux switch. you can find leds on ebay prewired with resistors for really cheap. had mine installed for 3 years. and no problems. look awesome.

g-mantrix
01-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi jdeml,
would appreciate if you could place a link for the Ebay site

jdeml
01-31-2011, 08:32 AM
many people on ebay sell them just type in prewired leds, i went with the 3mm as your plexiglass dosent need to be that thick. i bought 100 for 12 bucks plus shipping and i bought a sheet of clear arcylic that i cut my ring from. if you have a weekend and some simple tools its no problem at all to do.

craig3972
02-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I busted a vertebrae in my neck dirtbiking this summer and wasnt allowed to wakeboard for a while. Bored, I bought a bunch of Led's and cut out my own rings and installed in my boat.
Gay or not gay? - gay
Either way it sure gets the girls dancing. I also installed mine with a light controller that has 12 different settings for light switching - the most popular function follows the beat of the music. Its powered (on/off) thru the acc. switch and controlled with a remote. I will try to post a utube vid of it soon.

Moral of the story - dirt bikes are bad.

here is the video of the LED's - finally
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcttJQoYyWw

I found this one as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqHrYtagCZs

Or this
http://player.vimeo.com/video/18262398

gatorguy
02-06-2011, 09:30 AM
I've been thinking about adding a few to my '97 ps205. Has anybody put them on an older boat yet? I don't want to look like a disco, I just want a soft glow. I was thinking I'd add them to my 2 tower speakers and then in each speaker grill in the boat. Also a big light by the floor at the front of the bow and maybe a 4 light strip in each ski storage area on the sides of the boat.

Any thoughts?

TeX-35
06-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Video of our boat. Plug for the guys at Hydrotunes in Austin Texas. Did a great job. Poor quality vid taken from my phone, sorry. Will try to post better pics later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOxqKsMMV_8

agarabaghi
06-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Video of our boat. Plug for the guys at Hydrotunes in Austin Texas. Did a great job. Poor quality vid taken from my phone, sorry. Will try to post better pics later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOxqKsMMV_8

That would give me a headache instantly. Can you switch it to just glow?

craig3972
06-06-2011, 07:06 PM
or an Epileptic fit!