PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Change

meg
11-06-2009, 12:18 PM
How often should you change the fuel filter. I have an 06 and would prefer not to change it unless I have to-any thoughts??

MYMC
11-06-2009, 12:54 PM
How often should you change the fuel filter. I have an 06 and would prefer not to change it unless I have to-any thoughts??
Every year or 100 hours

meg
11-06-2009, 02:52 PM
is every year or 100 hours not over kill? I know what the manual says but find it hard to believe that a fuel filter needs to be changed that often

MYMC
11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
is every year or 100 hours not over kill? I know what the manual says but find it hard to believe that a fuel filter needs to be changed that often
Remember that the fuel filter plays a large role in the death of the pump. Below 1/2 tank all fuel is taken through the filter...and it is an extremely fine element (6 micron I believe). It will and does clog easily, as that happens the pump runs hotter. As the fuel level drops the pump loses the cooling effect of being bathed in fuel...and as you can see the issues begin to compile themselves...until the pump dies.

I'd change it at least every 100 hours or every year...walking home is tough to do on the lake. And as has been documented on this and many other sites the fuel pump is a fragile finicky piece.

Here is a link to buy them cheap: http://mymastercraft.com/product_details.cfm?ITEM_ID=5&product=155101&product_type=GENERAL&company=MasterCraft&sub_product=Filters

(had to throw the shameless plug in there):rolleyes:

davomaddo
11-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Does anyone have a step by step tutorial on how to change the fuel filter?

My dealer said they don't recommend changing it.
However, I had issues with my prior boat - which were caused by a clogged fuel filter.
I rather prevent issues in the off season prior to them becoming a problem during the summer time.

mccobmd
11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I echo MYMC, it's a routine part of my annual maintainence/winterizing.

meg
11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I second that on the easy tutorial-is it as easy as unscrew the 12 hex bolts pull the module out and change the filter at the bottom of the module?

vogelm1
11-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Pretty much. IMO it helps to remove the pump when the level in the tank is down, so as to prevent distortion of the plastic tank. I took mine out once with a near full tank, which made it difficult to line the bolts up with the holes in the tank again...had to start each bolt a few turns and criss-cross my way around the pump. Next time waited for 1/4 tank to change and no problems.

The filter has two small metal tabs/clips that grab a flange on the pump housing - you'll need to pry these away with a small screw driver (they bend away very easy). From that point the filter is held on by friction and can be a bit stubborn. Twist and rock the filter side to side a few times and it should work it's way off. Mine had a little plastic "straw" attached to a nipple on the filter...remove this and place on the new filter. There is a clip/holder on the pump housing that apparently supports and holds this "straw" but it won't line up no matter what you do, so don't let that bother you - it'll be fine sitting right next to the clip.

You may be able to find out more on this if you search the "fuel pump" threads - I know there were some photos on there showing the pump assembly and how the filter attaches to the bottom. Not difficult to do if you're OK with basic hand tools. But you are working around gas fumes and an open gas tank once the pump is out so obviously you need to extremely careful. Good luck -