PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs

carracer
11-06-2009, 08:58 AM
08 x30 mcx 350 . I am a bosh fan but my dealer says these engines don't get hot enough to make bosh burn well they say use OEM AC what does TT think ?

Thrall
11-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Can't comment on the MCX because I still have the original plugs in it, but I've run NGK plugs in my LT-1 without issue. I see it like what brand of oil you run, doesn't really matter as long as it's the correct application. As long as you have the correct heat range, style of plug, resistor, stainless (reccomended so they don't rust in), I'd think it would run fine. Again, Chevy 350 engines are pretty forgivving and not finicky.

meg
11-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey guys-how often should you change the plugs??? I assume it's relatively easy??

kjohnson
11-06-2009, 01:09 PM
I change every spring. Depending on the motor and boat, some of the plugs are damn_ed hard to get to.

MYMC
11-06-2009, 02:19 PM
08 x30 mcx 350 . I am a bosh fan but my dealer says these engines don't get hot enough to make bosh burn well they say use OEM AC what does TT think ?
Wonder where they got this info? Are they talking coolant temp, cylinder head temp? Combustion temp? or maybe exhaust temp?

Boat engines work hard compared to autos...due to drag they never get to relax. Think of a boat like a truck pulling a trailer uphill all the time (other than idle).

I know that the plug change is recommended every year but I think that is excessive. How many hours do the plugs have on them? Look at the plugs and check for fouling and erosion...then make your decision.