PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft Dealer Versus Local Marina

jipster43
11-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm in the final stages of purchasing a boat located 800 miles from my home. I've already test driven it, and now I need to get the pre-buy inspection and possibly winterization done. The problem I'm incurring at the moment is the Mastercraft dealer is about an hour away from the current owner's home, but there's a local boat center within 15 minutes of his place. Is it really necessary to take the boat to Mastercraft for these two rather straightforward procedures, or should I arrange to have the boat taken to the local boat center?

Thanks fer yer help! Here's the boat in question:
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/jipster43/DSCN8449.jpg

JP :)

Jim@BAWS
11-05-2009, 10:05 PM
A compression test is your best tool. All cylinders within 10%

A BLUE METAL FLAKE 190 Stars and Stripes. You better go get it ASAP

What is your negiotated price, hrs , motor etc

I would leave a REFUNDABLE deposit based on a Compression Test

A compression test should run about $50 or so. plus travel time if that is required

What is holding you back from the purchase???

Jim@BAWS

DooSPX
11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
I agree with Jim as always!
But, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that boat. that is my dream boat!!!

cbryan70
11-06-2009, 12:11 AM
purdy boat and def a compression test. and as him stated 10 percent max between cylinders....for some reason i remember reading 125 as avg? I could be COMPLETELY wrong tho so dont quote me on that.

jipster43
11-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm gonna' go ahead and procede to the local marina - it'll just make the logistics easier which is a huge bonus after driving 800 miles and turning around and driving another 800 miles over five mountain passes (10 roundtrip) and possible winter conditions.

The asking price was $13,000/obo. It has under 200 hours on it, but apparently a key was left in the auxiliary position - draining two marine batteries before the hour meter shut off, so it's possible the true engine hours are closer to 120. It has the Ford 351 w/285horses and the 1:1 transmission. The dual axle trailer is in immaculate condition too. The tires are original, but they aren't dried out at all - they look as new as the boat, but it is missing the spare.

The only things holding up the sale at this point are my daughter's third birthday on Saturday, a couple of work commitments early in the week, and 800 mountainous miles, but I should be on the road by Thursday and picking up my yet unnamed boat... as long as I haven't already jinxed the hell out of the sale! I wasn't going to post a pic or mention anything about it until the boat was in my garage, but... I'm like a little jr. high school kid before the big dance - just a little too excited!

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/jipster43/DSCN8447.jpg

I may have to dicker him down due to the marred star on the starboard side!

cbryan70
11-06-2009, 12:48 AM
boat is in a great shape...cant ask for a better year IMO.... bullet proof motor...

scott023
11-06-2009, 01:15 AM
That's a fine looking machine. Nice find.

mayo93prostar
11-06-2009, 08:36 AM
jipster, nice looking boat, just like mine but with the wing. Check the center floor boards behind and in front of the engine for being bowed down or the motor box hinges pulling out. This can be a problem on this year boat because the floor is honeycomb aluminum panel and it can delaminate. Pluse the screws holding the motor box hinges have small washers on them. I rotated my rear panel last year becasue of the hinge screws but not I need to replace both panels because they are sagging down. again, nice find. fyi, I paid $10k for mine 2 years ago with 360 hrs but the trailer brakes were shot and there was significant rust on the transmission. so i think your price is reasonable given the good condition of the boat and trailer, and the wing.

Jim@BAWS
11-06-2009, 10:25 AM
YOU ARE NOT ON THE ROAD WITH IT YET...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

SUMMER IS ON ITS WAY !!!!

JIM@BAWS

jipster43
11-06-2009, 08:12 PM
It looks like my trip may be postponed until next Friday. My buddy that's coming with me is unavailable until then, but Jim's proddings are making me nervous! Those combined with the possibility of bad weather may leave me no choice but to ditch my pal and go without him.

ttu
11-06-2009, 08:54 PM
ditch your buddy by all means and go pick that sweet mc up.:D

Jerseydave
11-06-2009, 10:31 PM
YOU ARE NOT ON THE ROAD WITH IT YET...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

SUMMER IS ON ITS WAY !!!!

JIM@BAWS

Wow Jim, you're getting really excited for this guy's purchase! :D

Sweet boat......and under 200 orig hours!!! Insane!!!

Unless you have a death in the family, you better be on the road to get it NOW! ;)

JohnE
11-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Another vote for just go and get the damn thing.:D

TallRedRider
11-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Before you drive 800 miles, have the current owner do the compression test and have the mechanic certify the values on some sort of dealer letterhead. That seems like a long way to drive to perform a $50 test and then go back home without a boat if it fails. Any reasonable seller would do this test to reassure you things are OK. If you think he is fishy, then repeat the test at home and let your attorney fight it out if it fails the home test.

Jim@BAWS
11-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Before you drive 800 miles, have the current owner do the compression test and have the mechanic certify the values on some sort of dealer letterhead. That seems like a long way to drive to perform a $50 test and then go back home without a boat if it fails. Any reasonable seller would do this test to reassure you things are OK. If you think he is fishy, then repeat the test at home and let your attorney fight it out if it fails the home test.

WRONG ANSWER...as a buyer you must get a COMPRESSION TEST not the owner. To much opportunity for BAD RESULTS ( Letterhead BIG DEAL ) "WHOOPS I GUESS YOUR BOAT WENT BAD AFTER I DID THE TEST "

When we do compression tests they are done w/ the customer standing right there. Weather it is a TRADE IN or a BOAT THAT IS SOLD. Right in front of the customer, NO CHANCE for any monkey business.

Jim@BAWS

Jim@BAWS
11-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Wow Jim, you're getting really excited for this guy's purchase! :D

Heck ya...that is an AWESOME FIND and "UNIQUE" to say the least

Is it there yet???

Jim@BAWS

trickskier
11-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Sweet Boat.................I agree with Jim...............You should have had it in your garage by now................:D

sand2snow22
11-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Sweet Boat.................I agree with Jim...............You should have had it in your garage by now................:D

If I could ever find it for sale out here, it would be in my garage :D

TallRedRider
11-08-2009, 10:34 PM
WRONG ANSWER...as a buyer you must get a COMPRESSION TEST not the owner. To much opportunity for BAD RESULTS ( Letterhead BIG DEAL ) "WHOOPS I GUESS YOUR BOAT WENT BAD AFTER I DID THE TEST "

When we do compression tests they are done w/ the customer standing right there. Weather it is a TRADE IN or a BOAT THAT IS SOLD. Right in front of the customer, NO CHANCE for any monkey business.

Jim@BAWS

You have a point, but a compression test from the seller only is worth a whole lot more than a hope that after an 800 mile trip it turns out OK.

Maybe he should ask the seller to do the compression test and then REPEAT the compression test as soon as he gets there to pick up the boat. Again, I can't conceive of driving 800 miles to watch a bad compression test, and go home with no boat.

Smoothie
11-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Don't listen to Jim he is a sales guy and a damn good one he could sell ice to eskimo's and fire to the devil. He wore me down after 2 years of chasing me!!! Guess I got another year and half before I upgrade. I can't even avoid his calls or emails anymore I am sucked into the vortex. Oh Jim is right if that is "THE" boat GO GET IT!!!!!

Jim@BAWS
11-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Don't listen to Jim he is a sales guy and a damn good one he could sell ice to eskimo's and fire to the devil. He wore me down after 2 years of chasing me!!! Guess I got another year and half before I upgrade. I can't even avoid his calls or emails anymore I am sucked into the vortex. Oh Jim is right if that is "THE" boat GO GET IT!!!!!

The VORTEX is now past it is headed towards Pensacola

By the way come and get your buddies ROPE HA HA HA

Thanks man

Jim@BAWS

jipster43
11-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the help fellas! The seller did tow the boat to the local Mastercraft dealer and they squeezed it in early for me (two of the guys there were from Montana!), so I was able to have the compression results before heading west. The dealer was floored by the condition of the boat claiming that it was essentially a brand new boat, so that felt cool.

I drove out to Seattle on Monday and got there at about 9pm, got up on Tuesday, met the seller, made the deal, then drove out to the dealer and picked the boat up on my way out of town. It was 4pm before we were on I-90 though, which meant I was driving over five mountain passes in rain, snow, and dark of night - not my plan.

The boat towed incredibly well. Even when I was coming down the backside of Lookout Pass in slushy conditions... and had to slam my brakes and swerve to avoid a trophy buck - he was a big bugger! I had successfully avoided him, but then he turned around and tried to jump in front of me again, so I just missed him by a literal inch. It would have been the first time I hit a deer in over 20 years and it would have been a drag.

Anyway. That was at about Midnight and was sufficiently startling to wake me up for the rest of the drive - getting home at about 4am.

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/jipster43/DSCN8672.jpg

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/jipster43/DSCN8684.jpg

Now she's tucked in for the winter.

duckguy
11-19-2009, 08:45 PM
So Rad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wacko
11-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Congrats!! It looks good

ttu
11-20-2009, 04:02 PM
congrats!

glad you finally went and picked her up.. enjoy:toast:

broncotw
11-20-2009, 04:11 PM
If you EVER want to sell this boat let me know ASAP and I will drive up from the Great State of Texas and get it!!! Enjot it!!!

DemolitionMan
11-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Look's Great. I can not believe all of the snow.

jipster43
11-20-2009, 06:30 PM
We've been getting snow like this since October 2. I was sick of shovelling snow by Halloween. And shovelling isn't good exercise. If anyone tells you that, box their ears for me. It's evil on the bod. Especially if you're over 40. Anyone over 40 and still shovelling snow is probably a big fan of oral surgery as well. I'm lobbying Santa for a two stage snow blower for X-mas, but Santa keeps reminding of the new Mastercraft in the garage!