PDA

View Full Version : '74 MC with loose bow eye

pasmadj
11-04-2009, 06:05 PM
The bow eye on my '74 MC is loose and there is a gap of about 1/8" between its base and the gelcoat. I can remove my passenger seat without too much trouble. After that, how do I get to the bow from inside to tighten the nuts?

Once I accomplish that, should I put an extra nut on each side for locking purposes? Loctite?

kawagaskier
11-04-2009, 06:17 PM
The bow eye should be able to be tightened from the topside by just inserting something like a hammer handle through the eye and turning it clockwise to tighten it down.

pasmadj
11-04-2009, 06:26 PM
The bow eye should be able to be tightened from the topside by just inserting something like a hammer handle through the eye and turning it clockwise to tighten it down.
I will try and get some pics soon. My bow eye has 2 threaded posts that go through the hull.

Cloaked
11-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Crawl up in under the bow. It's open and a tight fit for a big boy but that is the only way to reach the tighteng nut underneath. Remove whatever seat or base that you have to and scoot right on in there.

justinglow
11-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Crawl up in under the bow. It's open and a tight fit for a big boy but that is the only way to reach the tighteng nut underneath. Remove whatever seat or base that you have to and scoot right on in there.

Those older stars and stripes have the bow full of foam. It's going to be tough to get up there and tighten it. Good luck!

TMCNo1
11-04-2009, 07:19 PM

He's not talking about the lifting eye on the deck, but the bow eye for the winch strap.

chico
11-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Gotta split the the shoebox fit at the front,you have to pull the rivets to about the windsheild area and pry open the bow enough to get your hand in there,you will have to make up a new peice of wood for the bow eye,best to get a new eye.

h2oskifreak
11-05-2009, 04:24 PM
My 75 has two nuts on the exterior side of the threaded loop where it enters the gel-coat. Mine comes loose from time to time but mine easily tightens. Good luck.

pasmadj
11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
My 75 has two nuts on the exterior side of the threaded loop where it enters the gel-coat. Mine comes loose from time to time but mine easily tightens. Good luck.
Interesting. Could you post a picture of your bow eye?

h2oskifreak
11-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Interesting. Could you post a picture of your bow eye?

My boat is in storage in a buddy's garage for the winter. I can't see getting to it for a bit, he is about 40 mi. away and I don't get to his house often.

It's pretty basic the bow eye has threads at the portion that goes into the gel coat and there is a 1/8 inch plate that runs between the two ends of the ring and there are nuts on the back side of the plate that snug it up if it becomes loose (about 1-2 times a season).

fka74Stars
11-12-2009, 03:57 PM
This is a picture of my 74 with the top removed. I do not see any way to get to the bow eye with out pulling off the top. My bow eye was also buried under about 4/5 inches of foam- you could tell they poured it after it was installed in the hull. I do not have a close up of it but you can get the idea.