PDA

View Full Version : what boat and what motor DON'T I want??

helton333
11-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I am looking to upgrade to an X1, X2 or 2004/05 XStar next year - several crazy deals out there. I was hoping someone could help me. Seems like RTP is ok for X1 but definately not for X2. For X2, is MCX ok, etc.

I guess my question is, since 2005, what boat DON'T you want with a particular engine?

thanks.

Jim@BAWS
11-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I am looking to upgrade to an X1, X2 or 2004/05 XStar next year - several crazy deals out there. I was hoping someone could help me. Seems like RTP is ok for X1 but definately not for X2. For X2, is MCX ok, etc.
I guess my question is, since 2005, what boat DON'T you want with a particular engine?
thanks.

Do not get an RTP in a X-45
Do not get an RTP in a X-star

RTP in a CURRENT X-2 does OK MCX is better. RTP,... you need to prop it right

Current X-1 RTP is just fine

Jim@BAWS

ttu
11-04-2009, 11:48 AM
boy this engine subject has been beat to death.:uglyhamme

i have a 07 x2 with the 310 rtp. i am running around 1200 lbs on top of the factory ballast and have had no issues with getting on plane. as jim stated the prop is very important.

i would have bought a x2 with the mcx but the only one they had left was the rtp and i love the boat.

helton333
11-04-2009, 11:49 AM
So many say RTP isn't good for pickle fork X2's - so your opinion is they are ok? There is one for sale right now for $37K in TN - 220 hours. Does have an RTP though

Prostar19
11-04-2009, 12:36 PM
It is fine for an X1 or X2. The RTP has a really good hole shot but lacks a little top end. You may as Jim says need to do a little prop changing depending on how you load and use the boat.

helton333
11-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks. I am not trying to discuss, I am trying to buy a boat - so thanks for the input.

Smoothie
11-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Hey helton. Not sure where your located but if your in the south east and considering buying a boat out of state give Jim K a call at Bay Area Watersports. I know he has a few X2's. I bought my boat from him and he really got me in the right boat and right price and took care of me. He replied in this post on engine and performance. Good luck

mpabreo
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
helton, where are you located?

mccobmd
11-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Do not get an RTP in a X-45
Do not get an RTP in a X-star

RTP in a CURRENT X-2 does OK MCX is better. RTP,... you need to prop it right

Current X-1 RTP is just fine

Jim@BAWS

Agree wholeheartedly, have an X1 with RTP and that motor will do everything the boat will do even loaded with ballast. Do have to reprop when ballast is loaded or the hole shot suffers.

bturner2
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
No complaints with my RTP X2. As others have stated been beat to death and dyno sheets don't lie. If you can find an MCX for the right price buy it. If not you'll be fine with the RTP.

Barefooter92
11-05-2009, 12:28 PM
I have found this thread interesting. I know it has been a long time issue and you can have the Ford vs. Chey fight all day long and no real winner (Chevy Man 3rd generation). I was not familiar with the RTP you all were discussing as I have only skied with MCX. So I did some research at the parent site and have answered my own question "what is RTP?"

However, I found a new engine in the MC's that is Diesel. Do any of you have experience with this new option? I see it is light in the pony category but makes up for it in torque. How about the access to diesel? I have yet to find a diesel pump in a marina in Indiana inland lakes.

If this were paired up with a powerslot it would be awesome would it not?

I know Jim can help me with this.

Thanks.

Chicago190
11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
However, I found a new engine in the MC's that is Diesel. Do any of you have experience with this new option? I see it is light in the pony category but makes up for it in torque. How about the access to diesel? I have yet to find a diesel pump in a marina in Indiana inland lakes.

As I recall, the diesel is a ~$30k option, so no one buys it.

rspiecha
11-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I believe its no longer an option. www.indmar.com doesn't have it in the engine lineup for Mastercraft.

Rob

Thrall
11-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Probably not a consideration at low altitude for you, but you lose alot of hp at altitude. Even the MCX is a dog in my X2 in the mtns. Granted it's not propped right and will be before it hits the water next year which I'm sure will help considerably......but there's a reason the dealer in Denver appears to order every boat bigger than an X1 with the LY6 engine.
It's a matter of preference and the only way to tell is to drive the boat you're considering, loaded down however you plan on using it, and see if you're satisfied with the power. "Does it have enough power?" Is about as subjuective as "What brand of oil is best?"

Barefooter92
11-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Thrall

That means if I purchase your PS 190 it will have less horses than one from Ohio? Sounds like we need to talk about that LT1. LOL

I have to try to beat you up some how!

Thrall
11-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Thrall

That means if I purchase your PS 190 it will have less horses than one from Ohio? Sounds like we need to talk about that LT1. LOL

I have to try to beat you up some how!

Yeah, it'll be a real dog......until you get it home, then it'll feel like it has a turbo!:D

PRINZEUGEN
11-10-2009, 12:17 PM
You mentioned if proped right!
Which prop would you suggest?

Thrall
11-10-2009, 12:25 PM
You mentioned if proped right!
Which prop would you suggest?

Who mentioned it? What boat, motor, where?

CottagerGreg
11-10-2009, 12:34 PM
little NOS will help you get out of the hole :)