PDA

View Full Version : Best configuration for aftermarket ballast in a 09 x-45

hoc76
11-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Just wondering what everyone uses for aftermarket balast for wakeboarding. Everytime i use my buddies sacs 2 400's in the back and 2 320's in the front plus factory ballast it just isnt what i'd expect. and thoughts or ideas

Ole Miss Rebels
11-03-2009, 10:15 PM
hoc, welcome to the board. i have an 08 xstar and i have two 750's in the rear and two 400's up front on top of the 800-1000 lbs of factory ballast. many of the pro-level riders add another 1000-1500 lbs of weight in lead and people and equipment. so a fully slammed xstar can have between 4000-5000 lbs. bear in mind that an xstar is 22' 5''. that is considerably less than an x45. i imagine what you could add is far greater than the sacs you are using now. certainly, you want to do this gradually and get used to handling the boat when it is ballasted heavily.i have never slammed my boat to those limits mentioned above. i just have the system for surfing. certainly someone will come along with some actual experience on weighting an x45. congrats on your new boat. everything i have heard about that boat is good. you aren't an lsu fan are?

hoc76
11-03-2009, 10:26 PM
ya i ride with one of my friends who has a 40th x-star and she has 2 750's in the back 2 500's in the front like 400 pounds for lead throughout the whole boat and just recently got a center walkway sack. im really thinking about getting 2 350's for the front and 2 750's for the back and i was gonna go with straightline bags and was eventualy gonna plumb them in. haha and nope im a clemson fan!!!

WAKEPILOT12
11-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Definately I'd throw 750's in the back of your 45. You've got to remember that the hull on that boat is big and it displaces alot more water than say an older style X-Star (205V) or even the new X-Star. Those will make a huge difference. I work for a MC dealer and have plumbed several ballast systems in most of the models. When you get ready to plumb them in, feel free to shout with any questions. Take care.

hoc76
11-04-2009, 08:20 AM
ok thanks. what do u think i should do for the front im trying not to lose any space in th walkway. But i still want people to be able to sit on the seats w/o them buldging up from the sacs underneath? would 350's be enough?

TallRedRider
11-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Mpabreo has sacked out his 45 pretty heavily and does it different than I do, so I know that you will get many opinions.

I have a pair of 750's in the back lockers on top of the stock tanks. I also have a pair of 200 pound sacks up front. This is the supplemental ballast system from Fly High.

I fill the front tank and the sacks completely full, and then the rear tanks I only fill about 6-8 inches deep on top of the stock tanks. I find that when the rear is too full, the wake tends to wash over and get too steep unless you go at a faster speed. I like to ride at 22-23 MPH. The wake is big and meaty with a nice lip and great ramp, especially easy on the toe side jumps. We only have a couple of people in the boat with this setup and put the tab about 3/4 of the way down.

IIRC, Mpabreo fills those rear bags full and goes faster.

Everyone who has gone with me loves my wake and seems to pull off any trick they are capable of.

mpabreo
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
There's many ways to sac out a 45 as it has tons of space/locations for putting sacs or weights. I use the following...

Stock ballasts full.
550lb Fly High V-drive bag in each rear compartment
650lb walkway sac on the bow floor
Trim tab all the way up

All that ride with me are in the 23-24.5mph range and the wake is pretty darn good at this speed and at 70' rope length. I've tried 75' a few times at 24.5mph, wake's pretty wide, but the shape and cleanliness at 70' & 23/24mph is about the best I can tweek it with that ballast setup.

The addition of the 550's in the rear and moving the 650 up front dramatically changed the wake, size and shape, for the better. What engine do you have? I have the LY6 and she just about needs a new prop cause the holeshot took a hit from the weight.

hoc76
11-04-2009, 12:54 PM
ya i have the LY6 to. what prop would be good?

mpabreo
11-04-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure. Thats one of my winter projects, the guy at OJ Props should be able to take care of us as I hear he's good to deal with. I plan to start some dialog with him in a few weeks.

hoc76
11-04-2009, 01:07 PM
gottcha just let me know when u find out about the prop

Ole Miss Rebels
11-04-2009, 02:44 PM
my guess is the 14.75 X 15.5 oj. that's what i use on my xstar with 8.1L. i would consider getting a bow filler cushion and putting a bag underneath it, makes the bow a play pen and will free up some of your under-seat storage for extra boards, etc.

mpabreo
11-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Thats exactly what I'm doing, but the sack I have on the bow floor, when filled to capacity doesnt allow for the bow filler cushion. may have to deflate that sac 2" or so.

hoc76
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
where can u get a bow filler cusion and how much do they run?

mpabreo
11-04-2009, 04:14 PM
MSRP from any MC dealer is $590 according to my records. I didnt purchase mine separately, came with the boat.

hoc76
11-04-2009, 05:29 PM
wow ya i might pass and just get the prop lol

hoc76
11-04-2009, 05:30 PM
o another thing mp have u ever used the straight ine sacs? how to they compare to the fly high's?

Forrest-X45
11-04-2009, 07:32 PM
The '09 45's with the LY6 came with the 14.75x15.50 OJ prop while the '09 45's with the L18 came with the 14.75x17.50 OJ.

I will be interested to see what Eric at OJ recommends for you guys as he highly recommended I move up to the 14.75x15.50 for my '08 45 with the LY6 from the factory 14.25x14.75 OJ.

Whatever you do DON'T go test drive a new 45 with the L18!! ;)

TallRedRider
11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
There's many ways to sac out a 45 as it has tons of space/locations for putting sacs or weights. I use the following...

Stock ballasts full.
550lb Fly High V-drive bag in each rear compartment
650lb walkway sac on the bow floor
Trim tab all the way up

All that ride with me are in the 23-24.5mph range and the wake is pretty darn good at this speed and at 70' rope length. I've tried 75' a few times at 24.5mph, wake's pretty wide, but the shape and cleanliness at 70' & 23/24mph is about the best I can tweek it with that ballast setup.

The addition of the 550's in the rear and moving the 650 up front dramatically changed the wake, size and shape, for the better. What engine do you have? I have the LY6 and she just about needs a new prop cause the holeshot took a hit from the weight.

I was about right on with MP's setup. It looks like he only has about 175 more pounds up front than me and then does do about 300 more in each rear compartment. I agree completely that you have to have some weight up front. If I filled the back only, I would be disappointed for sure. Because of MP's extra weight in the back, he has to go a little faster than I do.

my guess is the 14.75 X 15.5 oj. that's what i use on my xstar with 8.1L. i would consider getting a bow filler cushion and putting a bag underneath it, makes the bow a play pen and will free up some of your under-seat storage for extra boards, etc.

I have the 8.1 L with the 14.75 X 15.5. My boat does not even seem to groan with the hole shot and my ballast configuration.

WAKEPILOT12
11-04-2009, 07:52 PM
I was having problems with my demo boat being really slow out of the hole with all the weight i was running, so i called Acme propellers. I can't remember who i talked to, but i told him the exact motor, ballast weight....and they recommended a prop that worked good! Don't know if you are set on OJ props, but Acme makes a good product. On the front bag setup, you can throw Fly High tube sacs up there and they dont push up on the seats at all.... The washing out problem that someone mentioned earlier is due to too much weight in the rear and not enough in the front. So i'd go bigger bags in the front unless you dont have the problem that do with everyone riding in the back! :-)

mpabreo
11-04-2009, 08:53 PM
o another thing mp have u ever used the straight ine sacs? how to they compare to the fly high's?

Never used the straight line sacs, but the 650 I have in the front is a cheapy brand. Can't remember the name, its got some buddah lookin dude imprinted on the side. Not near the quality of the fly high's, material, thickness, connections, etc. The fligh high sacs are nice! I've had a small leak in the buddah bag, but nothing a small patch couldn't fix.

jdl xstar
11-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I have the 8.1 L with the 14.75 X 15.5. My boat does not even seem to groan with the hole shot and my ballast configuration.

What top speed and RPM are you hitting with this prop? I'm trying to decide between the 15.5 or 17.5.. thx

mpabreo
11-04-2009, 09:08 PM

Arrrgh. Jealous. Hopefully the prop change will help out. My plan is by next spring to put two sacs in the front side lockers. Any recommendations on sacs that fit well? I'm thinking about 2-300 each side. But I can't go too far back on the port side cause of audio equipment. Also, I want to add a sac where the cooler goes, and one in the compartment behind the drivers seat. Will have to fit a subfloor in that area for it to lay on. This is one of my many winter projects also.

mpabreo
11-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I was having problems with my demo boat being really slow out of the hole with all the weight i was running, so i called Acme propellers. I can't remember who i talked to, but i told him the exact motor, ballast weight....and they recommended a prop that worked good! Don't know if you are set on OJ props, but Acme makes a good product. On the front bag setup, you can throw Fly High tube sacs up there and they dont push up on the seats at all.... The washing out problem that someone mentioned earlier is due to too much weight in the rear and not enough in the front. So i'd go bigger bags in the front unless you dont have the problem that do with everyone riding in the back! :-)

What model sacs are you referring to? Did you put some sort of retraint to keep them from sliding back or moving fwd or back from take-offs or when hitting rough double-ups?

hoc76
11-04-2009, 09:58 PM

i looked at the fly high side sacs but wasn't sure if that was going to be enough weight up front cause i was thinking about doing that up front which is 520 and then 2 400's in back but im not sure if that will be enough

mpabreo
11-05-2009, 08:33 AM
If you've got the cash, go with the Fligh High X-star kit and reprop. Adds 2500 total lbs. I almost went that route, but decided to work my way there cause its pretty expensive.

http://www.fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html

As for 520 in the front and (2) 400 in the back, that will work fine. The ratio of bow weight to rear locker weight is 0.65 as compared to my setup of 0.59. Therefore, your wake with that setup will be a bit more rampy (not as steep), and cleaner at longer line lengths. Not quite as tall cause obviously its less weight. But should be a good setup nonetheless.

hoc76
11-05-2009, 09:04 AM
If you've got the cash, go with the Fligh High X-star kit and reprop. Adds 2500 total lbs. I almost went that route, but decided to work my way there cause its pretty expensive.

http://www.fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html

As for 520 in the front and (2) 400 in the back, that will work fine. The ratio of bow weight to rear locker weight is 0.65 as compared to my setup of 0.59. Therefore, your wake with that setup will be a bit more rampy (not as steep), and cleaner at longer line lengths. Not quite as tall cause obviously its less weight. But should be a good setup nonetheless.

Ya i was thinking about that but i would probably need a new prop as soon as i got the x-star kit. I was thinking about maybe doing another 100 to 200 pounds of lead underneath the bags??

TallRedRider
11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
What top speed and RPM are you hitting with this prop? I'm trying to decide between the 15.5 or 17.5.. thx

I don't know what the top speed is with that setup. I am at 2700 feet elevation. My guess is about 43 MPH. I cruise easily at about 33 MPH. The RPM while wakeboarding at 22.5 MPH are at 3400-3500 with my ballast setup.

Arrrgh. Jealous. Hopefully the prop change will help out. My plan is by next spring to put two sacs in the front side lockers. Any recommendations on sacs that fit well? I'm thinking about 2-300 each side. But I can't go too far back on the port side cause of audio equipment. Also, I want to add a sac where the cooler goes, and one in the compartment behind the drivers seat. Will have to fit a subfloor in that area for it to lay on. This is one of my many winter projects also.

My sacs are the X-star supplemental bags. I think the front ones are about 200 each. I don't think it would be easy to get more up there under the seats. The next step is to put it in the walkway. I feel like the front of mine is full.