PDA

View Full Version : Starter Direction

Shane21
11-03-2009, 05:40 PM
What's the best way to tell which hand your starter is? Does it always match prop rotation? I have a '91 Maristar 240SC with a 454.

88 PS190
11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Easiest way to tell would be to look at which way the belts turn, then locate the starter. Since they are geared together the starter gear turns opposite the flywheel gear. Then you have to look at which side of the bellhousing the starter is on.

Not having a V-drive I cannot speak to the direction it turns on your boat, but it should become pretty clear.

TMCNo1
11-03-2009, 08:39 PM
More than likely, LH rotation as shown here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1030

Shane21
11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Mine isn't a v-drive. It's direct. So if I'm looking at the front of the motor and the belts turn counter-clockwise, it would be LH...right?

JUST-IN-TIME
11-06-2009, 02:40 AM
yep

90% are LH

TRBenj
11-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Mine isn't a v-drive. It's direct. So if I'm looking at the front of the motor and the belts turn counter-clockwise, it would be LH...right?
No. That would be a RH (reverse rotation) engine. Im sure youve got a LH prop and a LH engine (conventional rotation), so the belts will spin clockwise when viewed from the front. The direction of rotation is determined by viewing the engine from the rear, hence your confusion.

Regardless, my reverse rotation 454 uses a standard rotation starter- it mounts on top of the bellhousing instead of below. Im not sure if a reverse rotation starter exists for the BBC like it does for SBF's, etc... either way it will be pretty hard (if not impossible) to get the wrong one. In starter speak, I believe you need a CW (clockwise) starter.

Shane21
11-10-2009, 10:31 AM
You are correct. I do have a LH prop....and the starter is mounted on the upper right hand corner (looking from behind the motor). I may have just been mistaken when i looked at the belt rotation. I'll check it again this evening.