PDA

View Full Version : Belts wearing out fast

Karsken
11-03-2009, 02:28 AM
Hi. I have a Maristar 240 with the 351W Engine. Its a 93".
I have had trouble this summer with the v-belt getting worn fast. I have to retighten very often. When i checked the pulleys they are not in good shape.
Is there a rebuild set to change out the pullies to a new type with the flat belts?
Where can I buy this? Links would be helpful :rolleyes:

hkallestad
11-03-2009, 03:48 AM
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1125 , here you'll find the crank pulley and the circulation pump pulley, not for flat belts tho. The pulley on the alternator you'll have to get from the manufacturer?

Karsken
11-03-2009, 08:29 AM
That was a quick reply form a fellow Norwegian. Thank you, that was what I needed.

Have you seen my add on finn.no ? Thats a great deal if you know someone who would be interested.

http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/object?finnkode=19677468

hkallestad
11-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Ha ha, didn't notice that you where Norwegian before I saw your nickname now;-) Nice boat, I've actually never seen that model before now.

88 PS190
11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I would be curious if the pulleys are in alignment. You might need to shim the alternator or otherwise adjust. If the belts aren't tracking straight you can get wear from that.

To convert to a serpentine belt you might source the parts from an automotive supplier. Its a common conversion among hot rod fans.

I don't think its required, you only have one V belt, so its not like you'll eliminate having 4 separate belts running AC, Power steering, alternator, fan etc. Which is why they have serp. belts anyhow.

WilliM1940
11-03-2009, 08:28 PM
For a groove rust problem, I used the product shown, from the local hardware store in the USA. Don't remove the pulleys, this product is an abrasive sponge able to conform to the v-groove of the pulley from the end of a drill motor and blast away the corrosion. Simply mask and repaint the pulley along with the groove in place. If leaving the boat for any long period of time, remove the belts. Works great.