PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard handle and rope combo help needed

LaRue
11-02-2009, 01:13 PM
just bought (2) CWB wakeboards for my son and I. While i have been skiing for 30+ years, next summer will be our first full summer of wakeboarding. I am looking for direction on wakeboard handle and rope combos. Couple of things i am unsure of...
Should i go with the no stretch rope or limited stretch?
Is there a better brand than another out there as far as durabilty/quality?
What it the maximum length i should get? Seems most ropes have 3-4 sections for optimum distance. (Boat will be a 2000 Maristar with no tower, at least not this summer :(
any help you can give will be appreciated.

mpabreo
11-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I'd suggest a no stretch rope, its what you and your son will want to grow into anyway so you should start with getting the feel of it. I've used Ronix and Accurate lines before, and prefer Accurate, their A-lines are solid and very durable. Plus, Accurate is a hyperlite brand therefore the customer service is unmatched. I've also noticed the A-line I use now is better constructed than the Ronix R8 line. As for handles, depends on personal preference. I used to ride with a thicker handle, used the Ronix Volt and One handles and had to have them replaced in a couple months cause the skin peeled away. I now ride a carbon Accurate handle, standard diameter, but also like the Chamois grips that are available. I cant comment on pro-line, but a lot of people like them.

As for you line length, it will likely take you a year or two to get past 70'(including handle). Get a 75' and you'll be good for a couple years. Hope that helps.

tr6coug
11-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I've got this rope:
http://www.bulletlines.com/thermal-coated-rope-p/27.htm

got it off ebay new for $50. Nice, no stretch and the vinyl jacket keeps it from tangling.

Wake2wake
11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I picked up a no stretch rope off of ebay before the season started this last spring, think i got it for around 35, but its not coated and i would definitely recommend getting a coated line. they slide through your hands much easier in the water and don't get tangled nearly as easily, if ever. as far as a handle, i picked one up off of ebay again, i think it was an accurate handle, loved it until the handle started to peel apart. but it did get used once or twice a day. I just picked a proline carbon handle up off of boardersbestbuy.com, but i haven't yet had a chance to use it. it is super light and feels really good in your hands though.

helton333
11-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Definately no stretch. It helps leverage the short turn ins needed to generate momentum through the wake - We use an Accurate carbon handle - held up for 2 years now and still good. Also, carbon handles are made so that you can just replace the rope - so you may actually get years out of a carbon. Ronix are ok, but the overwrap on most I have used gets loose with time. I would not buy a rope with over-wrap. They always loosen and get slick with time.

LaRue
11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
... I would not buy a rope with over-wrap. They always loosen and get slick with time.

is overwrap the same thing as 'coated line' and vinyl jacket"?

helton333
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
no, I am speaking of the actual hand wrap. many have this chamois type over wrap where you grip - they always get loose (and, I think they are often just slick) - I have mixed feelings about line coatings, I love the durability of coatings, but they sure are more difficult to deal with. I have 2 spectra lines, one is coated and one is not. The non coated is much easier, but it can dive deep so you have to make sure you don't run or back over it.

LaRue
11-02-2009, 03:35 PM
no, I am speaking of the actual hand wrap. many have this chamois type over wrap where you grip - they always get loose (and, I think they are often just slick) - I have mixed feelings about line coatings, I love the durability of coatings, but they sure are more difficult to deal with. I have 2 spectra lines, one is coated and one is not. The non coated is much easier, but it can dive deep so you have to make sure you don't run or back over it.

is it possible to get a no stretch line that is not coated? that spectra line appears it would be a paiin to wrap up and store compated to regular line. Maybe i am just used to waterski line. Will do some more research and appreciate the input? Main goal is to find a combination that i will be happy with for several years.

helton333
11-02-2009, 03:46 PM
sure, lots of good non-coated out there (http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/AC_rh2g8) - best thing is find a store and look at them. A good line will be between $75 and 100. About the diameter of a pencil - very thin - and wakeboard specific. My main advice on the handle is stay away from the Chamois wraps. I like a smaller, more narrow handle - you only use about 10" so why have a big wide "Tractor" handle?

EarlyriserX9
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
is it possible to get a no stretch line that is not coated? that spectra line appears it would be a paiin to wrap up and store compated to regular line. Maybe i am just used to waterski line. Will do some more research and appreciate the input? Main goal is to find a combination that i will be happy with for several years.

Yes, the Accurate Fuse line is not jacketed, but it is non stretch. I started wakeboarding at the beginning of the summer and went out and bought a 85' Accurate jacketed mainline. I think I paid like $115 for it. I quickly realized it was too long to wakeboard with behind my X9. I use it for barefoot runs only now. I ended up buying a 65' Accurate Ultra Spectra line for about half the price and love it! IMO the short line is great for beginners trying to clear the wake. I started at the shortest length and it made it possible for me to quickly learn to get nice air and clear the wake at 75'. I had a hard time with the longer line, since the wake was so wide. Personally, I think my jacketed line is nice, but for half the price, I'd buy the Ultra Spectra or a Accurate Fuse line all day.:cool:

LaRue
11-02-2009, 04:14 PM
sure, lots of good non-coated out there (http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/AC_rh2g8) - best thing is find a store and look at them. A good line will be between $75 and 100. About the diameter of a pencil - very thin - and wakeboard specific. My main advice on the handle is stay away from the Chamois wraps. I like a smaller, more narrow handle - you only use about 10" so why have a big wide "Tractor" handle?

what are your thoughts on this package?

http://www.proboardshop.com/wkcslinfw8zz-straight-line-handles.html

mpabreo
11-02-2009, 05:25 PM
looks like a decent starter package.

For some other options...

http://www.evogear.com/shop/wake/ropes-handles/p_all.aspx

http://www.boardstop.com/index.php?cPath=67_55&osCsid=g8hlf3ofuek8v0c81b14lqltg5

medicmoose
11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I got a coated no stretch line with a chamois covered handle. I like the covered handle but have only used it for one season. I didn't notice it get loose or slimy. One thing to do though is go to your local shop and take hold of some of the handles...different diameters could make a big difference in comfort for you and you hate to blow money on a handle that ends up being uncomfortable!

Jerseydave
11-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I have 2 seasons on this ronix "north" handle and it still looks like new. It's a "hide" grip that is stitched....which I think hold up alot better than glued grips.

An 80' line is ideal (add 5' fro your handle) in case you have some more advanced riders that come with you. Try to get a line that floats, some don't.

One rider with me have the LG handle and line which is very nice as well, leather or suede grip on that too.

vision
11-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Straight line handles and lines hold up well. We have three. I personally like fat handles so I wrap mine with padded bicycle grip tape. But my the riders like the Proline LG leather grip handle we have, which is similar to the one pictured in njskier's post.

LaRue
11-02-2009, 09:23 PM
is anyone using the firewire from Straightline? I am wondering how many sections there are and what lengths? can't seem to find an answer.

GNAT87
11-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Proline LG neon package here...the neon green is easy to spot no matter where it is.

Jerseydave
11-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Proline mainline on sale today only here:

http://boardersbestbuy.com/

I'm getting one!

LaRue
11-03-2009, 01:48 PM
thanks for the guidance! Ended up buying Straightline handle with 75' no stretch Firewire (55'+5'+5"+5'+5'). Always liked their ski ropes and handles.

l8kebum
11-15-2009, 02:50 PM
accurate jacket series is the way to go. it floats. that is the key. it is definitely worth the extra $20. you can find them online for $75ish.

i prefer a carbon handle for the overall structure.