PDA

View Full Version : At a garage friendly 20 feet...

Witness140
11-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Couldn't leave the pics posted, sorry.

Witness140
11-01-2009, 01:29 AM
I'll let the owner of the boat post them back up in another thread if he wants.

Witness140
11-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Pics removed.

Witness140
11-01-2009, 01:33 AM
pics and post removed.

Witness140
11-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Pics and posts removed. PM venetrex if you want to see them.

jipster43
11-01-2009, 02:07 AM
Sweet photo essay! How wide is the boat house door?

JP :)

nascar
11-01-2009, 05:56 AM
nice story and info . But what I want to know is ...How did he get his trailer in front of the garage ?? Also , Super nice pictures !

Covi
11-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Wow! What is the time frame that it takes to put it in the boat house. Also is it more than a one person job?

JohnE
11-01-2009, 08:40 AM
nice story and info . But what I want to know is ...How did he get his trailer in front of the garage ?? Also , Super nice pictures !

He mentioned in the first post that they floated the trailer over. Not sure what they floated it over on though...:confused:

bigmac
11-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Wow. Nice boat house setup, but I'd certainly be looking for a better way. Honestly, it never would have entered my mind to go to all the trouble to use my trailer in lieu of a separate cradle, which could be constructed to give better clearance.

Boat houses are no longer allowed around here, and the ones that are grandfathered in are all old enough that they were designed for older, no-tower boats, but I see a lot of these Shore-Tracker (http://dhdocks.com/shoretracker/index.php) systems on those boat houses and they are slick.

venetrex
11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
It's my boat and I ratchet strapped 4 50 gallon plastic dock barrels to the top of the trailer bunks. Just launched the trailer at a boat ramp like launching the boat and wala, it floats like a boat. The door is 9 foot 1 inch wide and 8 foot 1 inch tall. With my new ramp, hopefully 1 will be enough, took me 3 hrs to build, it should be a 1 person project, remote control winch makes it possible to guide the trailer on the way in. A separate cradle can be bought for $3000.00, instead of using the trailer, not worth it.

Jerseydave
11-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Nice idea with the trailer, maybe some low profile tires would help?

Without spending over $3000 for a pre-made cradle, I bet you could get a good welder/fabricator to build one for 1/2 that. Some old railroad rails or small I-beams to sink into the concrete and you're set!

bigmac
11-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Each to their own. If I had a boat house, I'd want to store the boat there on a day-to-day basis rather than keeping it in the water (gelcoat blistering and hull scum) or going to the $5000+ expense of buying a boat lift. And I'd always have the PITA factor in mind if I ever had to take the boat anywhere for service etc. (floating the trailer BACK across the lake).

My lakeside living experience over the last 25 years has led me on a continual quest for absolute simplicity. I want to push a button and launch the boat -- push the button and recover the boat. Seems like what you have there is the exact opposite, and the only reason I comment is that it runs so counter to my own expectations, and it would be so easy to fix.

Glad you're satisfied with the arrangement, though...

88 PS190
11-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Several individuals on our lake have tracks that run out of basically walk out basement garages. As we cannot have permanant lake side structures, so they have some track and a roller.

Most people with this variety of system seem to roll the boat only parially out of the water, unless they aren't going to be using it much, or are putting it away, I assume just due to time constraints of the motion.

I agree with bigmac though, if I had to mess around with ramps, and blocks, and letting air out of tires to get my boat away, I'd never use the thing.

JohnE
11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I assume this is only for seasonal storage so it doesn't seem like too much work for a once a year deal.

I wonder if you could have just ratcheted the boat to the trailer and driven it over.:D I kid.

Also you can email phil.walker@mastercraft.com to become a member rather than a guest.

bigmac
11-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Several individuals on our lake have tracks that run out of basically walk out basement garages. As we cannot have permanant lake side structures, so they have some track and a roller.

Yeh, we can't have permanent structures closer than the legal setback (75 feet on our lake in our county) so some people have these railways all the way back to their garage. More common though is an on-shore canopy.

JohnE
11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeh, we can't have permanent structures closer than the legal setback (75 feet on our lake in our county) so some people have these railways all the way back to their garage. More common though is an on-shore canopy.

Why would you want to do this vs. just a lift? I understand if it is going to a garage, but why would you want to plant the boat on the lawn? Varying lake height? Cheaper? Can't be quicker? Just curious.

venetrex
11-01-2009, 12:45 PM
It's winter only storage and beats leaving it outside. Not so worried about blistering, I had a 1988 sunbird corsair I did this the same way with and it was fine and 20 years old when I sold it. You have to assume mastercraft make a better boat than an out of business boat company. Same thing with m 2002 tige 21v. Would't fit in the boathouse though. And the constuction of that boat compared to the mastercraft was, well, 2nd rate. I just don't think it's worth folding the tower up and down everyday to use the boat. Our season is short enough anyways. I am just so happy to have indoor storage..
I emailed this am about my guest account.

JohnE
11-01-2009, 01:11 PM
It's winter only storage and beats leaving it outside. Not so worried about blistering, I had a 1988 sunbird corsair I did this the same way with and it was fine and 20 years old when I sold it. You have to assume mastercraft make a better boat than an out of business boat company. Same thing with m 2002 tige 21v. Would't fit in the boathouse though. And the constuction of that boat compared to the mastercraft was, well, 2nd rate. I just don't think it's worth folding the tower up and down everyday to use the boat. Our season is short enough anyways. I am just so happy to have indoor storage..

I gotta agree about folding the tower. I think I'd leave mine in the water vs. folding the tower every time. I trailer mine and did some serious work to my garage to make it fit with tower up so I wouldn't have to fold it. As far as the blistering, it can happen to any boat. I would be willing to take my chances, though more than likely I'd buy a lift.

peason
11-01-2009, 01:32 PM

I think you did a great job with what you had to work with. I get awfully frustated on this site when others are so critical about what someone else does! I like the idea of indoor storage for the winter, LOOKS GREAT!

Witness140
11-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Glad he was able to fit it in his boathouse for the winter.

JohnE
11-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm gonna take a firm stand. :mad:

If I ever have waterfront property I will have a boat lift for my MC.8p

:D

Witness, you make a good point though.:cool:

JohnE
11-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Our old '86 Thundrcraft blistered after one year in the water and continually got worse fwiw.

Witness140
11-01-2009, 01:57 PM
If I ever have waterfront property I will have a boat lift for my MC.

You and me both!

cbryan70
11-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Some people on this forum feel as though they need to throw there 2 cents in even when its not needed or wanted.....these same members also think they know just about everything.

Jim@BAWS
11-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I really applaude the efforts to get that boat in the boat house. It would have never worked on a single axle trailer w/ 15 in rims. He could have used a single axle then bought aftermaket 6 lug rims 14 in to make it work.

Every year I go to upstate NY to help take out lifts, docks, floating rafts and such, including rail road track for a boat house. Alot of work. I know I am lucky have a dock in Florida for my boat to reside in.

No matter where you are your MC will be effected by long periods of letting the boat stay in the water for extended periods of time. Be careful. Before that boat goes back in the water in spring make sure the bottom is cleaned and a couple of really good coats of high quality wax is applied to the bottom

Looks awesome

Jim@BAWS

bigmac
11-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Why would you want to do this vs. just a lift? I understand if it is going to a garage, but why would you want to plant the boat on the lawn? Varying lake height? Cheaper? Can't be quicker? Just curious.

Not sure, actually. I have a buddy on another lake who keeps his fishing boat and skiboat in lifts, and has a boathouse and railway for his '56 Chris Craft because he feels it's more secure and has less weather exposure.

I was contemplating your question as I was out completing winterizing the property. I noted that I could add onto my garage and keep the boat in there instead of a boat lift if I wanted to install an 80 foot railway to the lake. It seemed like a good idea until I started thinking about the "why" questions my wife would ask when I explained to her that I was going to do that.

As to the on-shore canopy instead of a boat lift, I dunno. It probably is cheaper. On this lake, height doesn't vary enough to be a reason but it does on some of the other lakes. Security might be a reason, but that's not a problem where I live. Quicker? I don't know about that but the speed those railways go means that it would probably indeed travel the 80 feet and put the boat in the water in only slightly longer amount of time than it takes me to lower my boat in the lift.

88 PS190
11-01-2009, 03:36 PM

Less structure in the lake is one reason, there are just a few track sections to pull out for winter. And those are sectional, so its like moving dock sections.

The main structure of the lift is never moved by hand which makes winter in/out far quicker than the alternative. And with the boat up your shore front is very clean, just a dock and a few tracks leaving an unobstructed view of the lake.

We considered this for our lake front, but it would have required many trees to be removed and the possibility for needing two lifts in the future ruled it out.

Its pretty fast actually. And very popular with the sailboat owners.

bigmac
11-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Not sure how we got to keeping our boats in the water during the season, but I agree, we all just gotta keep struggling to decrease the PITA factor of owning a boat as much as our resources allow. Personally, keeping my boat in the water is not something I'd ever do, but OTOH, it's not something I have to do. I think it's obvious that a boat lift or boat house is preferable (if possible) because of the problems, real or potential, of mooring, and the convenience of a lift, but I don't think anyone's looking down their nose those who don't have that option.

liledgy
11-01-2009, 10:49 PM
I'll take my lake lot with garage, electricity and water with my 27 year old slot on my 23 year old aluminum Shore station over a $ 65,000 mc any day. I think you have a better chance to keep boating in your family( for the long haul) if you can get the property before spending 10 of thousands of $. I know that's not always possible but to me you have the cart beforecthe horse.

Witness140
11-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I'll take my lake lot with garage, electricity and water with my 27 year old slot on my 23 year old aluminum Shore station over a $ 65,000 mc any day. I think you have a better chance to keep boating in your family( for the long haul) if you can get the property before spending 10 of thousands of $. I know that's not always possible but to me you have the cart beforecthe horse.

Thanks for the insight grandpa.:D

Dawg
11-02-2009, 12:12 PM
tight fit!!

liledgy
11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Ouch! Not sure what you mean by grandpa but I'll go out on a limb, I'm 46. Old enough to be but not yet as I still have kids in HS and one in junior high.
If you owned a inboard since 89 you can't be to far behind. Of course then growing up with ski brendella's wouldn't make sense because I don't think they were around much before 88. What your dealer told you about most mc owners leaving them in the water certainly isn't true by me( northern il). Also the blistering problems go way back before2001 and before mc. But you'll find soon that your 2009 will probably blister to.

Hollywood
11-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Interesting post, thanks for the pictures. I think your cradle estimate is a bit high, but hey the trailer works and it's "free"!

wtrjock
11-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Got to put a shout out for another Canadian Blue Flake!!! Love that color! Man that was a tight squeeze!

venetrex
11-02-2009, 04:22 PM
I am going to put it away today and will take some photos of my updated wooden ramp, if she works, my goal is to be able to squueze it in and leave the platform on. Anyone looking for a fiberglass platform, I'll let my old white one go cheap. Interesting that the teak is 5 inches shorter, did anyone know that??? I'll time how long it takes from folding down the tower to puting it in and if I can do it myself.

Sodar
11-02-2009, 04:25 PM
I can't believe it fit.

Even looking at this pic, the trailer alone looks 1' too wide!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=52833&stc=1&d=1257049543

bikeman
11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I can't believe that it fit!

Hollywood
11-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Your folding tongue jacks make me nervous.

ski_king
11-02-2009, 05:47 PM
This picture scares the crap out of me.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=52839&stc=1&d=1257049716

venetrex
11-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Okay believe it or not it does not take as long as one would think to do this. Not much weight is on the front wheel(s) until it is over the crest. I actually have to stand on the tongue to keep the bow down. I left the tires low so that was not an issue. This is a ONE man job. It only took me about 25 min's from folding the tower to put away. Not as bad as one would think. I still have a few improvements to be made.
1.) It doesn't track all that well, the front wheels, mabe a channel up the ramp
2.) The winch cable gets stuck on on side, bound up and damaged the cable a little, I am going to shorten it, I have 88ft, only really need about 40 feet if that.
3.) The ramp is really steep, 45 degree angle, so the *** of the boat flots while the front is on the trailer, not much I can do about that that is inexpensive.
4.)I wonder if I counld bring the boat further forward on the trailer to pull the boat closer to the wall, if I could I could leave the platform on, do they make retrofit folding brakets for my 2007?
5.) Another inch or 2 and I can put the tower way up and open the rear hatches almost all the way, great for winter maintenence projects.
6.) The fact that it fits in here was the reason why I got an X-2 as opposed to an x-15, similar to my tige 21v. I have 23feet clearance from rear wall to front door, but no ski boat trailer is that small really that I know of, my old tige trailer was 26.5 feet long.

Any ways I'm rambling but so happy it fits and wont be stored outside. The winters here are harsh.

TOO-TALL
11-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Is this just for winter storage?
Or will you be doing this all summer?

Witness140
11-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Ouch! Not sure what you mean by grandpa but I'll go out on a limb, I'm 46. Old enough to be but not yet as I still have kids in HS and one in junior high.
If you owned a inboard since 89 you can't be to far behind. Of course then growing up with ski brendella's wouldn't make sense because I don't think they were around much before 88. What your dealer told you about most mc owners leaving them in the water certainly isn't true by me( northern il). Also the blistering problems go way back before2001 and before mc. But you'll find soon that your 2009 will probably blister to.

Thanks for your positive contribution to the thread I started.

venetrex
11-03-2009, 08:13 AM
I just figured out what to do with the platform this morning, if you insert it in the grooved at the bottom of the brackets on the boat it is slightly held in place, if I drill 2 new holes on the platform side of the bracket it lines up perfectly just resting on the exhaust pipes. Almost as goos as a folding platform, except you really need 2 people to get it off of the boat initially. I believe this is winter storage only, but i really is not as bad as I thought. so any type of going away, etc, I could probably use it this way. But who goes away in the summer instead of skiing?? :)