PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Steering

UofU2727
10-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech question: 1984 MC with REALLY stiff steering. Greased it, made it a little easier. However, it's still quite stiff, I took off the steer cable from the rudder, rudder is smooth and easy to move back and forth, took the steering cable out of the bracket holding the cable and tried turning the steering wheel back and forth the steering was still stiff, with it was unattach to the rudder. Now, for the questions: Is the steering on these MC S&S always stiff or does the cable sound bad? If this is the case, where do I get a cable for these boats? Also the ball joint that holds the steering cable, the two brass plates show some wear, where do I obtain these two pieces? Web site and how much do they cost?

JMann
10-30-2009, 10:48 PM
anything you need can be found at www.skidim.com

give them a call they are very helpful and knowledgable about just about anything you need to ask.

UofU2727
10-31-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks, I'll be callin them.

AR Footer
10-31-2009, 12:53 AM
Tech question: 1984 MC with REALLY stiff steering. Greased it, made it a little easier. However, it's still quite stiff, I took off the steer cable from the rudder, rudder is smooth and easy to move back and forth, took the steering cable out of the bracket holding the cable and tried turning the steering wheel back and forth the steering was still stiff, with it was unattach to the rudder. Now, for the questions: Is the steering on these MC S&S always stiff or does the cable sound bad? If this is the case, where do I get a cable for these boats? Also the ball joint that holds the steering cable, the two brass plates show some wear, where do I obtain these two pieces? Web site and how much do they cost?

I had the same problem with my 85 this past summer. Ordered a new steering cable and related parts from Discount Inboard Marine (www.skidim.com) and it works as good as new. Really smooth and easy. Almost like installing power steering.
There is a little work involved because the company that made the original steering for my boat is no longer in business so I had to order the replacement. All instructions are inlcuded and the only real change is that I had to cut the hole in the dash out just a little so that the new parts would fit. Not a real hard modification if you have the tools and take your time. Make sure to tie a rope to the old cable when you pull it out. You will use the rope to pull the new cable back underneath the floor.

UofU2727
10-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Do you remember the part numbers too order or should I just call skidim. I think our boat is the same 84/85 model, I've unbolted everything to take the cable out. Thanks on the rope idea, I was trying too come up with a good idea on how too pull this cable through. Thanks for all the help.

AR Footer
10-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Do you remember the part numbers too order or should I just call skidim. I think our boat is the same 84/85 model, I've unbolted everything to take the cable out. Thanks on the rope idea, I was trying too come up with a good idea on how too pull this cable through. Thanks for all the help.

I would still contact skiddim just to make sure that the same kit is used but here are the part numbers of everything that I used:

UFLROTECHKIT14 Rotary System Item #2414
6301335 Clamp Block Kit Item #2404
6300666 Support tube Item #2433

Remember to look in the opening around the motor for nylon ties or clamps that may be holding the steering cable. You sure don't want to pull anything loose.