PDA

View Full Version : Where do you tube from?

RMUDBUGS
10-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I learned a rookie leason and broke my wakeboard tower pulling a tube from it. Where do you guys tube from? Ski pylon or the hook on the back of the boat?

Hollywood
10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
hell!!!!!!!!

FrankSchwab
10-30-2009, 06:13 PM
We normally pull from the pylon because it's easier to get to. I have a V-Drive, which has what seems like a stouter pylon than a direct drive has, so I'm not sure I'd make the same decision if I owned a PS205.

Double D
10-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry to hear that. :( Can we learn from this?
What kind of tube where you pulling, how many people,what kind of tower do you have and where and how did it break?

bigmac
10-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I usually pull tubes etc from the towing eye on the transom, but wouldn't have much concern towing from the pylon either.

TMCNo1
10-30-2009, 06:45 PM
The best place I've heard to pull a tube from, is from the bottom of the lake!:rolleyes::D

vision
10-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I learned a rookie leason and broke my wakeboard tower pulling a tube from it. Where do you guys tube from? Ski pylon or the hook on the back of the boat?

MC or aftermarket tower? Where did it break?

Always pull from the tower. Never a problem in 5 years. I guess I have just been lucky.

So someone on a tube floating on top of the water creates more force and resistance than pulling a 250 lb person from a deep water start on a wakeboard, or double wakeboarders, or someone cutting hard on a wakeboard? I must admit I will need proof of the physics before I am convinced.

JerryW
10-30-2009, 08:16 PM
We have an X-9, and always pull tubes from the tower. The most we've pulled is 5 tubes at a time, pulling older teen age and college age boys, with a lot of jumping over each other, bouncing, and what they call "extreme" tubing. Never had a problem with it, except when 2 guys on a Super Screamer submerged the front end of the tube and it ripped the nylon webbing on the tube. Nothings ever happened to the boat, at least not yet.

northof52
10-30-2009, 09:41 PM
second that............when my kids want to tube, they use grandpa's tin fishing boat...

uncleboo
10-30-2009, 10:00 PM
hell!!!!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing! Ha Ha Ha! Pull them with a jet ski and stay out of the coves.

2RLAKE
10-30-2009, 10:07 PM
how about Wally's I/O ... i thought i read that in the MC owners manual that thou shalt not ever tow a tube on an MC ... Malibu maybe ...

atlfootr
10-30-2009, 10:30 PM
NO TUBES allowed here period.

vision
10-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Like JerryW indicated, we have had no issues with some reasonably aggressive tubing.

On the rough water days, backrolls on a tube, hitting double ups with a tube, flying over kickers on a tube, and playing king of the tubes towing 2 to 3 tubes at a time, is a blast.

I mostly board now and leave the tubing to the younger members of my crew. Tubing is far more rough on my body than boarding or skiing or surfing.

JohnnyB
10-31-2009, 07:24 AM
My tower only pulls footers and the occasional wakeboarder. Slalom off of the pylon....would be odd shortline off a tower. Tubes get pulled from the pylon. I will say that from behind the boat, a slalom skier crossing the wake at shortline puts more pull on the pylon than the tower. That being said, when you whip a tube and then pull it through the rollers still hanging way outside the wake, its putting a different type of pull on the tower....sideways jerks....realize that when a boarder edges, its a steady increase and fluid pull....

Granted, I have very little experience pulling the tube....its usually a reward to my 6 year old for being in the boat the whole morning as our 3rd...

RMUDBUGS
10-31-2009, 06:34 PM
It is an aftermarket rack (big tow). The tube was a 1 person triangular shapped tube with a hollow section(not a deck tube. The rider fell off and the tube flipped over and filled with water. It was like someone slamed on the brakes! It bent the rope holder back and broke the welds. I know a guy who can fix it for me.

TMCNo1
10-31-2009, 07:37 PM
It is an aftermarket rack (big tow). The tube was a 1 person triangular shapped tube with a hollow section(not a deck tube. The rider fell off and the tube flipped over and filled with water. It was like someone slamed on the brakes! It bent the rope holder back and broke the welds. I know a guy who can fix it for me.

Now the real truth has been told.

Skipper
10-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Tube, really? Not on my watch!

88 PS190
10-31-2009, 08:25 PM
I go from the ski pylon, but the rear tow eye would be a good place as well.

Most boats/towers come with a sticker that says something like:

A wakeboard tower should be used to tow a wakeboarder or skier only. Not for use with inflatables or other towables.
Do not tow more than one (1) person at a time from a wakeboard tower.
Do not use a wakeboard tower for towing parasails, kites, tubes, inflatable towables or other watercraft.
Do not jump or dive off a wakeboard tower.
Do not climb on, hang on, or sit on top of the tower at any time.
Do not allow passengers to sit behind the rope attachment point when the wakeboard tower is in use.
Check to be certain all bolts are tight and in place before each use of the tower.
Accessories may increase the weight of the tower. Do not fold tower without assistance.
Do not use the wakeboard tower if bolts are loose, missing or the tower shows cracks or other signs of stress.
When using a wakeboard tower, watch for low bridges, overhanging tree limbs or power lines that may come in contact with the tower.
Use of a wakeboard tower may affect the boat driver’s vision and lines of sight.
Improper use may overstress the tower, imbalance the boat, or allow the tow rope to contact passengers which could cause injury.

As you experienced tubes can flip and "bucket" and effectively become sea anchors. Quickly overloading the strength of tow ropes, and whatever they are hitched to. We've had ropes break this way and snap into spotters in the boat. Which is a good reason for using the rear tow eye, if only to have a lower trajectory at the boat.

Also make sure your rope is rated for the size of tube and number of riders, its amazingly hard to find a rope rated for more than two people.

Double D
10-31-2009, 08:51 PM

Never heard of it. Cant find it through Google. Got Pics?

RMUDBUGS
11-05-2009, 07:08 PM
only has 2 stickers on it

1st one says
The BIG TOE

2nd one says
Tops-N-Towers
Custom Aluminum Works
(281)-474-4001
Seabrook, Texas

The T-top has a sticker on it that says
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
Texas Wake Tower & T-Top
512-281-4267

Toober Tom
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
This thread scares me!!!:eek3:

deereman
11-05-2009, 07:59 PM
usually pull from the pylon, but sometimes from the rear eye depending how many people are in the boat. hasnt been a problem yet. even pulled 2 double tubes and a single all at the same time all off the pylon.

RMUDBUGS
11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Here is a pic from when I first bought the boat this summer before I broke the tower.

RMUDBUGS
11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
and another

RMUDBUGS
04-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Pics of the broken tower.

slickwater1
04-10-2010, 09:19 AM
should that hook not be on the top with a little more bracing. just seems that the design may not have been the best.

atlfootr
04-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Maybe the reason as to why it's broken, jus' saying ...

ahhudgins
04-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I hate pulling tubes, period. No tower on my Maristar (yet) but when I had one on my PS I never pulled tubes from the tower. I've had tubes flip over and snap the rope or webbing so I always pulled them from the plyon. I know a lot of people like riding the tubes but I'm glad that my kids have gotten older and try to out ski me (which isn't going to happen :D)
Now I have nieces and nephews who only want to tube :mad:

RMUDBUGS
04-10-2010, 02:42 PM
It's fixed now with some extra bracing. Not the prettyest but it's strong and only cost me $100.

RMUDBUGS
04-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Some pics of it fixed

RMUDBUGS
04-10-2010, 03:03 PM
2 more pics ;)